Do I need my Part 107 certificate?

Reaction score
I am wondering if I need my remote pilot license for what I am being asked to do. I started doing some video and photography work at the location of my employment because of some unusual subject matter and access to unique scenes. My employer has since seen the footage and likes it... and would like me to do video footage on a regular basis (every few weeks) for documentation purposes for the company. I would be doing this while on the clock for my "regular" office-type work, but would not be paid anything additional for the drone imagery. Do I need to obtain my Part 107 certification for doing this? I wouldn't be hired FOR this drone work... but I would be on the clock and on company property when it is done. Your thoughts are welcomed... and any documentation that spells this out specifically would be even better.

Thank you!

Yes. It is being used for business ergo commercial purposes.

Reactions: N42742
Eddy is correct. Anything in furtherance of a business/organization is considered commercial use.

There's a lot of paperwork out there laying out the rules and regs for part 107. Check out the table on this FAA site. Getting Started.
Anything that doesn't fit every point on the left is considered 'commercial' requiring Part 107 certificate. Look specifically at the next to last box on the right 'incidental to a business' is part 107.

Reactions: Falcon900
Stay safe. Get your part 107 or hire a licensed operator to be the Pilot in Command (remote) for your operation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20