DMV, DC / Maryland / Virginia

Here's a little video from my weekend in Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. An amazing place to fly.
Particularly spectacular was the fog covers lake in the morning which practically begs you fly down (at negative altitude) into it. Excuse the shoddy camerawork.

Those are some nice views. Since the FAA is tightening up no fly zones in the Chantilly area, I'll have to find some places westward to fly.

Yeah, I think they screwed up. It's not a no fly and it's not new news. Media tends to get this kind of stuff wrong frequently because they want to be the first to report it. But there is nothing new about this.
I hope they screwed it up.....the Special Flight Rules Area extends out that far, but hopefully they did not change it to no fly.

lets hope the hoverboards take the heat off us (no pun intended)! maybe there will be a NHZ no hover zone around dc! lol! the media has nothing better to do than ruin a fantastic hobby because of the actions of a few...once again the masses have to bow to the few...

lets hope the hoverboards take the heat off us (no pun intended)! maybe there will be a NHZ no hover zone around dc! lol! the media has nothing better to do than ruin a fantastic hobby because of the actions of a few...once again the masses have to bow to the few...
There are tons of no skateboard signs everywhere. Us RC fly types are now feeling the same thing skateboarders have felt for decades.

I've seen a bunch of hoverboards at local shopping centers and the riders were all being quite cautious.

I fly in the columbia, Md area. If you live there let me know where your fly. I fly in a big field around a open business park. Large open field, good for practice. I will eventually have to go elsewhere due to Bordem.
I fly Lake Elkhorn and other parks in the area. I'm surprised I've never run into you lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Go West young man! Or in this case, even east or north, or south. I grew up on Md's eastern shore and I could think of tons of beautiful place to fly/film. I know live in the Shenandoah Valley in Va. There are more beautiful places to fly here than you could ever actually see. I hear a lot of NOVA dudes in here upset over the DC Flight restrictions. And yes, they are bull s**t. But go one hour in any direction and you could find more, even BETTER places to fly. And come on, really. Do you even NEED an excuse like flying to get away from that cesspool they call DC? Think about it...

Reactions: Formstone
25 miles outside DC is actually pretty nice. It's wide open. There's not a person in sight. Maybe a random cow. And yet we can't fly 20 feet off the ground. That's what doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Formstone
Go West young man! Or in this case, even east or north, or south. I grew up on Md's eastern shore and I could think of tons of beautiful place to fly/film. I know live in the Shenandoah Valley in Va. There are more beautiful places to fly here than you could ever actually see. I hear a lot of NOVA dudes in here upset over the DC Flight restrictions. And yes, they are bull s**t. But go one hour in any direction and you could find more, even BETTER places to fly. And come on, really. Do you even NEED an excuse like flying to get away from that cesspool they call DC? Think about it...

West or East or North, South is nice too. What is bad is that there are some amazing places we can't fly because of the insane 30KM from the Reichstag. Potapsco Valley, Severn Run, a number of places on the Potomac, Southern Md like Deale, Thomas Point, the list goes on.

I'd love to be able to walk across the street to the field next to my house and just fly low to practice but that is now verboten. So I have to drive 10 minutes, one more restriction, one more liberty given for "security."

I agree with the cesspool comment. Lock in the 15KM stretch and I think the majority would be happy.

Reactions: Gary M
West or East or North, South is nice too. What is bad is that there are some amazing places we can't fly because of the insane 30KM from the Reichstag. Potapsco Valley, Severn Run, a number of places on the Potomac, Southern Md like Deale, Thomas Point, the list goes on.

I'd love to be able to walk across the street to the field next to my house and just fly low to practice but that is now verboten. So I have to drive 10 minutes, one more restriction, one more liberty given for "security."

I agree with the cesspool comment. Lock in the 15KM stretch and I think the majority would be happy.

I totally agree with everything you said in regards to the loss of liberty, etc. HARDCORE Constitutionalist here. FAA is unconstitutional body to begin with, imo. And I also agree about nice places to fly within NFZ. I personally think it would be awesome to get nice, beautiful sweeping views flying my P3A along the national Mall. But Im sure that wont be happening, lol! And lastly, I hate to make you jealous, but the "field next to your house to practice" is EXACTLY what I have, lol! It is a strip of river bottom land that runs at almost the exact same elevation for 5.6 miles, I'm right in the middle of it. Literally right out my front door. Im hoping to be able to do extensive practicing there and hopefully get at least a 1.2-2 mile range once I get the bird next week and try it out. My range going south of me I am questioning, but flying Northward I know I'd have to get 2+ miles. We shall see. I'd hate to push this too hard telling people how great an area I live in for flying and then next week have half a million new droners flying in my space, lol! But I'd be an *** to not tell you guys what you're missing if you dont come out here to fly sometimes. Most of the guys commenting including where they live in comments I have noticed are not 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to the Shenandoah Valley & surrounding mountains.

Can anyone answer this for me? We are not allowed to fly in National Parks. But what about National FORESTS?? There is a difference. I know a million places to launch and get great shots in George Washington Nat'l Forest.

According to airmaps. National Forests are okay. But I'm not sure if even airmaps knows for sure.

AirMap.io

So do things like "Airmap" show things like Natl Parks as NFZ's then? That sounds pretty cool. I know of many places I am not supposed to fly, but seeing actual boundaries of where they start & end would be quite helpful.

I guess you haven't seen the no-fly maps on dji's site?

I believe airmap is competing to be a go-to map which manufacturer's such as DJI would use to determine where we would not be allowed to fly. So yeah, they would have boundaries. But from what I can tell, they are as confused as the rest of us. For example, what about heliports? Some say heliports should be treated as airports. That is, a 5-mile radius with a requirement to contact them. Some are not sure. AC 91-57A is not specific. So we are all left to guess.

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is updating its conditions today for flying unmanned aircraft in the area between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. to clarify differences for various types of unmanned aircraft. As of 12:01 a.m. EST, Wednesday, February 10, the operating procedures will allow model aircraft, commercial and public users to operate in the outer ring of the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) under specific conditions.
The SFRA rule still prohibits unmanned aircraft operations within 15 miles of Washington, D.C. in the Flight Restricted Zone without specific FAA authorization.
Under the new procedures, hobbyists and recreational unmanned aircraft operators can fly aircraft that weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera) in the area between 15 and 30 miles of Washington, D.C. if the aircraft are registered and marked, and they follow specific operating conditions. The operating conditions require them to fly 400 feet or lower above the ground, stay in the operator's line of sight, only fly in clear conditions, and avoid other aircraft.
If hobbyists intend to operate within five miles of an airport or heliport, the new procedures also require them to notify the airport, heliport and air traffic control tower, if there is one, before operating.
Commercial and other non-model aircraft operators must register and mark their unmanned aircraft, must have an exemption and comply with it, and must notify the FAA an hour before operating to provide specific flight information.
Public operators, such as federal, state or local governments, must also register and mark their aircraft, must have the appropriate FAA authorization to operate, and must complete the same one-hour notification before operating."

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Gentlemen:

Tomorrow is one of those rare days in which everything is pretty much perfect for flying. High at 2 PM is 40 F. Surface winds 3 mph, winds at 400 ft, 5 mph. Visible satellites (worst case) 7 at launch, 10 in the air. Cloud cover 96% (easy to see your monitor). Chance of rain 0%. Visibility 10 miles.

UAV Forecast

Take a day and fly!!!!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl