DMV, DC / Maryland / Virginia

Reaction score
Anyone else in the DMV area, more specifically the NoVa area? Looking for tips on great open places to practice flying, away from the big airports, nice views, etc.

I am in Northern Virginia, I live in Warrenton and fly my drones all over N. VA. My personal email is [email protected]. I typically go out on the weekends and use a drone. This upcoming Saturday I will be in Alexandria at a fund raiser at Fort Hunt Park and I will filming some of the event with my drone. I have had my share of crashes and learned quite a bit if your interested in comparing notes. I also just filmed and explosion with two my drones and posted the video to face book it is awesome.

I just signed up here and this is my first post. (so don't hit me too hard.. HAHAHA)

Here is my youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEUMAk ... 2AQ/videos

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vujuya0sV1A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Qf7cU6FnO7w[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf7cU6FnO7w[/youtube]

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vujuya0sV1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These are a few video's that I have done in southern Maryland.

I have a P-2 with H3-D2 and Futaba 10J.

worm5406 I see that you are running a 10J with your phantom.

Any words of wisdom on setting up the 10J to use with the Phantom?

I am in the process of putting a 10J in my phantom and am looking for any tips or useful information you might have.

I have a tarot gimbal and video transmitter on my phantom and only getting 5 minutes fly time so I am transferring the guts of my 1.1.1 into a phantom2 body to make it a phantom 1.5 and be able to use bigger batteries for longer flight time.

Thanks....

Chris

Have you tested the airport restriction feature? I guess no taking off near Dulles.

I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday and was worried about the same thing..... but No problems with the restrictions. I live near Rt 28 / Rt 50 in Chantilly.

Looking at the restrictions map, it looks like Burke Lake is right inside the 15-mile restriction zone. I believe that means you can fly but are altitude limited to 400 ft. I will try that out this weekend.

I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday and was worried about the same thing..... but No problems with the restrictions. I live near Rt 28 / Rt 50 in Chantilly.

Looking at the restrictions map, it looks like Burke Lake is right inside the 15-mile restriction zone. I believe that means you can fly but are altitude limited to 400 ft. I will try that out this weekend.

Hey Navin,

Did you get to try at Burke Lake Park last weekend? Please share your experience.

I am very much interested in getting a P3 but live in the special area in NoVA. Does it mean that I cannot take off at all or I can take off but only fly at a limited altitude?

Thanks,

O3C25IL.png

Bad news. The 15-mile limitation around DC is very real and it means no-fly not just an altitude restriction.
My p3 took off hovered at 3 ft for a few seconds and flashed a No-Fly message and came back down.

I've tried this in three locations - in Fairfax mantua neighborhood, in Burke Lake and in Vienna. Same results!
On a brighter note, I have great video of Reston town center which is just outside of the radius. See pic below.

I wouldn't let that determine whether to buy or not. Flying it around your house gets old very quickly and you'll find yourself driving out west to nice areas. I think this is a great area to fly.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440848320.480340.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp and FotoGeek
Also, manassas battlefield is an awesome place to fly - great open areas with good lighting late in the day.

Got some unintentionally funny drone selfies with the family. :)

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440848427.987773.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Navin. Although I'll probably get a P3, it's disappointing not to be able to fly at parks in NoVA. And from what I have read, the NZF coordinates are not super accurate either.

At DEFCON, there was a talk about manipulating the NFZ database to allow flying in NFZ areas. Will do more research just for fun.

Just wanted to update the no fly discussion.

I'm in Montgomery County, but about five miles north and outside the No Fly.

Here's the older map of our no fly: No FLY Zones | DJI

But here is another map I hadn't seen until today of the no fly: No Fly Zones | DJI

It appears to me that the second map is an upgraded version from the first map.

The presumably newer map now considers the 15 miles white house area as a Special area, not a no fly. But it's still a no fly. They also added a bunch of much smaller airports that previously were not on the map (e.g. the Gaithersburg Airpark Airport). They also added sports parks such as FedExField and Nats Park, M&T Bank Stadium, etc.

Anyways, to get back on topic, there are a couple really nice open areas north of me I spied using google earth, and I checked them out personally. Like over a mile of open flying with almost all farmland and fields below.

Yes, they recently added restrictions for stadiums as well, in the past month or so.
There's a separate thread discussing that...specifically that they don't allow for game schedules so you can't fly even when its empty.

Also,in Baltimore, the overlapping NFZs are adjacent so that essentially, it blocks off all of Baltimore.

Here's a little video from my weekend in Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. An amazing place to fly.
Particularly spectacular was the fog covers lake in the morning which practically begs you fly down (at negative altitude) into it. Excuse the shoddy camerawork.

Nice to see some local operators here! I live in Leesburg, and primarily use my P3P for real estate work, and a bit of my own filming fun. Here is a link to the "Arial Work" age on my photography web site: Aerial Work

Nice to meet you!

Reactions: Navin Ganeshan
Not sure what's going on but....
I'm a beta tester for FAAs new app B4UFly. And it looks like they have changed the 15m no fly zone around DC to almost 40 miles. It extends in the west almost to Gainesville and lees burg!

DJI still doesn't recognize this and let's me fly in my area. Not sure sure if this is an error or for real. But very troubling.

Update: As of Sept 2nd, 2015, there is no flying within 30 miles of the White House without "specific authorization." This FAA document attached below has been around for nearly three months but very few people seem to know about it. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, read section 6.d.

Then take a looky at what kind of square mileage the Special Flight Rules Area around DC looks like:

Washington, DC Metropolitan Area Special Flight Rules Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• AC_91-57A.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
New update from DJI on how they will support realtime dynamic NFZs in the next app/firmware update. Despite all the hysteria, I think it will be net positive for the industry. (Obviously in DJIs interests if they want to sell more drones).
However I would expect that DC area is one that is negatively affected. Especially since the post uses DC as the poster child for retractions. Specifically, it might bake in the 30 mile radius into the next update making drones unusable well into Leesburg and Annapolis.

DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | DJI Phantom Forum

Also the FCC is expedited to submit their recommendations on self-registration today.

However I would expect that DC area is one that is negatively affected. Especially since the post uses DC as the poster child for retractions. Specifically, it might bake in the 30 mile radius into the next update making drones unusable well into Leesburg and Annapolis.

DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | DJI Phantom Forum

I seriously doubt that. Drones are not banned in the National Capital Area SFRA (they are restricted) so why would DJI disable them?

I can see this happening in DC's FRZ (15 mile radius) but not in the SFRA. If DJI did restrict our crafts, it's my understanding that we can get authorization to fly and/or self-certify our crafts. For DJI to completely disable our crafts in the SFRA doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Buzz Covington

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl