DJI STEALING MY P3P!!

Reaction score
Ok and so its time to let every one know about the dark side of DJI. and yes i consider what they are doing STEELING. Some background; Owned and loved the p3s so of course i up graded when it was time.
went with the P3P . However this Phantom 3 Pro was DEFECTIVE right out of the box, Both the RC and the video down link were BAD and had to be sent back to SO CAL for Evaluation and repair.
This will sound quite incredible but I assure you every word is true. My Phantom was received and evaluated on the same day........it was repaired the following day.........and then it was returned by UPS the very next DAY!!
a week total WOW!!!.......I THOUGHT THESE GUYS ARE THE ****!
However; the P3P had problems video down link was spotty at best. But I WAS FLYING again..lil whoohoo

that was at the beginning of the year FEB, JUNE 30 My P3P FLEW AWAY I was testng the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 SDK APP for the very first time, now dont get ahead of your self here I have had AUTOPILOT for some time I also use AIRNEST along with of course the GO APP.

Now the [REASON] My P3P Flew off is NOT a mistery Ken Argo the head Tech on the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP help me go through all the flight logs and what we found was that a [DESERIALIZER DISCONNECT] had taken place. for those who don't know what that is simply it is a HARDWARE MALFUNCTION.
Plan and simple...right!?
Well DJI HAS CLOSED THE BOOKS ON MY CASE BECAUSE I CANNOT SEND THEM THE VIDEO OF THE LAST FLIGHT. the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP has no means to do this.
and sense i cannot sinc the flight records using the GO APP irregardless of the fact that I have sent EVERYTHING 4 OR 5 TIMES AT LEAST it dosnt seem to matter that what took place it absolutely plan as day in black and white. or that THE ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP IS [DJI ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP]
they closed my case THATS STEELING
So what say you fellow Flyers?
I have purposely left out all of the comedic DRAMA and the intellectually insulting lines of non logic
that these clowns seem to cloak them self's in as insulation for their actions.

Last edited:
Rather than a case of theft this is seemingly an issue of DJI’s preparedness to accept the ultimate flight log file as evidence. Perhaps a statement detailing the opinion of Ken Argo would add weight to your representations here. There have been many instances of DJI refusing to accept 3rd part app log files (there are many instances where they have honoured warranty on flights flown with apps other than GO where the AC is recovered and the log accessible) arguing that they can’t rely on them to establish cause. Your case might be different given the specific detail that appears to be available. I would keep pushing. An approach to your consumer protection agency would be a good starting point.

Reactions: Gerald Lee
DJI has never supported a warranty claim for a third-party app and subsequent crash that I've heard about without a log they can understand and access. It's probably buried in their warranty someplace. Can't say I blame them if a bad coder messes up the DJI with their SDK and the drone takes off and flies into the ocean. Car makers were fighting about 3rd parties writing code for their cars where if it went bad or cleared a code it shouldn't, who was responsible for any warranty issue?

I know Litchi and Autopilot have issued a warning to not use their apps at times with a funky DJI firmware or software version, but you have to go to their site and look for it. I think Drone Deploy or Kitty Hawk also issues warnings. I don't know about Ultimate Flight, but maybe they will now.

I wouldn't call it stealing though. Now their refurb policy of replacing your pristine drone for a battered refurb I would call stealing. You get back a battered bird, and they will likely sell your pristine one for money later with a better warranty than your repaired one that might be good for a week. Now that policy annoys me!

Well...I know the answer to this firsthand as I just went through months of arguing, BBB reporting, etc..DJI will NOT give you a new bird UNLESS you find and ship them the carcass of the old one. You can write all the letters, post, and even videos of how that is wrong but it’s not going to matter.

It’s not about the app or SDK...It’s about getting the bird back so they can analyze the data and then get reimbursed by THEIR insurance company. The can NOT take just the data from a third party. My bird crash and it was totally my fault by setting the waypoints wrong in Litchi. It sat in the woods for three months and they would not lift a finger to help me under my refresh program. Everyone told me that because I used Litchi, I was going to be out of luck but that is also not the case. An old lady finally found it in her yard and brought it back to me so I sent it in. Bam! I had a new(not referb) drone in two weeks.

So, DJI WILL indeed honor Warranty and Refresh claims even if you use 3 party apps but you need the bird itself or your screwed. Good Luck!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have to agree with @GMack 100%.

When we decide to use a 3rd party flight software we are taking the chance that IF something goes wrong DJI may not support the claim. If we can't provide the required flight logs to prove the incident was not our fault then why do we think DJI (or any other manufacturer on the planet) is going to automatically accept responsibility.

Unfortunately it's a decision we make and if we decide to go ahead and use the 3rd party software we do so knowing we may be shooting our-self in the foot if something were to happen.

Put yourself in their shoes and think how you'd want this handled if you were in charge of the company.

Actually, it’s the other way around when it comes to third party software and replacements under the Refresh program..You want (and DJI needs) the data so they can prove it WAS YOUR FAULT. That’s the only way your getting a replacement under the Refresh program. In my case, the data showed that I had set the Litchi waypoints incorrectly and that’s WHY they gave me a new drone. It was only because of Pilot Error that I qualified for a free one so it’s a GOOD thing if it’s your fault.

If you use a third party software and they think it was caused by the software and not the pilot, you’re screwed..Pilot Error is a GOOD THING when it comes to DJI’s Refresh program.

Rather than a case of theft this is seemingly an issue of DJI’s preparedness to accept the ultimate flight log file as evidence. Perhaps a statement detailing the opinion of Ken Argo would add weight to your representations here. There have been many instances of DJI refusing to accept 3rd part app log files (there are many instances where they have honoured warranty on flights flown with apps other than GO where the AC is recovered and the log accessible) arguing that they can’t rely on them to establish cause. Your case might be different given the specific detail that appears to be available. I would keep pushing. An approach to your consumer protection agency would be a good starting point.
Yes of course you're absolutely right and thank you for that yeah DJ I tried several different Antics are ready to turn me away first it was proof of ownership then it was whether or not I qualified but there was Presidents already from the prior case where was defective out of the box of course flight records in logs are clear about there being no connection between the RC and the bird after the the disconnect and she started to flyl away
Thanks for the information that's exactly what I need to do

Actually, it’s the other way around when it comes to third party software and replacements under the Refresh program..You want (and DJI needs) the data so they can prove it WAS YOUR FAULT. That’s the only way your getting a replacement under the Refresh program. In my case, the data showed that I had set the Litchi waypoints incorrectly and that’s WHY they gave me a new drone. It was only because of Pilot Error that I qualified for a free one so it’s a GOOD thing if it’s your fault.

If you use a third party software and they think it was caused by the software and not the pilot, you’re screwed..Pilot Error is a GOOD THING when it comes to DJI’s Refresh program.
I would have thought a finding by DJI that a crash wasn’t pilot error would be a better outcome, the alternative of course would be that it was DJI hardware/software related invoking your entitlements under the warranty. You would not have to invoke the refresh policy and avoid the deductible payment.

I would have thought a finding by DJI that a crash wasn’t pilot error would be a better outcome, the alternative of course would be that it was DJI hardware/software related invoking your entitlements under the warranty. You would not have to invoke the refresh policy and avoid the deductible payment.

Hey,

Couple points..

1. In the case of a warranty repair, you are exactly right. It’s better that you did nothing wrong.

2. In the case of a refresh claim using third party software, it’s key that the data show that it was your fault and not the third party software. In other words, if Litchi’s data on the drone itself shows everything going fine, and then you hit a tree, your good to go. If the software just stops working or a bug causes a fly away, your screwed.

In my case, I setup all the Litchi waypoints correctly except the last one and as programmed, it started descending to the last waypoint and it smashed into a tree on the way home. For some reason, the drone never reconnected on its way back from the waypoint mission so I didn’t know exactly where it crashed. I live in a heavily wooded area and I could not locate the drone. With the help of a lot of guys on here, I reported the flight path to all my neighbors and a little old lady found it beside her home about three months later.

I pulled the SD card and the footage was on there. I did not send that to DJI for fear they would deny my claim. However, they somehow pulled all that info off the drone(including pics) and said that it was 100% user error and replaced it under my Refresh. Third party software made no difference since it was my fault. I secretly think that the software was partially to blame. It should have reconnected on its way home because it was right down the street but Litchi never did. DJI’s report showed I was connected the entire time but that was not the case. At least, I wasn’t connected through the FPV. I might have had control and didn’t even know it as I have seen Litchi do that before. No video and “disconnected” but I could still fly with the sticks and LOS.

Anyway, that’s my experience with DJI firsthand in regards to accountability and replacement. I attached the video of the flight that set this all in motion for the fun of it..You can see it beginning to descend after its second to last waypoint.(it kinda stops and starts again) Then it barely clears several trees (looks to hit the tips of a few) before running into a wall of maples. It appears to stop and just hover and I should have had control back but alas, Nothing...I’m guessing it just ran out of battery and dropped. Anyway, DJI said user error and replaced it..

PS-Sorry for the long post...

Hey,

Couple points..

1. In the case of a warranty repair, you are exactly right. It’s better that you did nothing wrong.

2. In the case of a refresh claim using third party software, it’s key that the data show that it was your fault and not the third party software. In other words, if Litchi’s data on the drone itself shows everything going fine, and then you hit a tree, your good to go. If the software just stops working or a bug causes a fly away, your screwed.

In my case, I setup all the Litchi waypoints correctly except the last one and as programmed, it started descending to the last waypoint and it smashed into a tree on the way home. For some reason, the drone never reconnected on its way back from the waypoint mission so I didn’t know exactly where it crashed. I live in a heavily wooded area and I could not locate the drone. With the help of a lot of guys on here, I reported the flight path to all my neighbors and a little old lady found it beside her home about three months later.

I pulled the SD card and the footage was on there. I did not send that to DJI for fear they would deny my claim. However, they somehow pulled all that info off the drone(including pics) and said that it was 100% user error and replaced it under my Refresh. Third party software made no difference since it was my fault. I secretly think that the software was partially to blame. It should have reconnected on its way home because it was right down the street but Litchi never did. DJI’s report showed I was connected the entire time but that was not the case. At least, I wasn’t connected through the FPV. I might have had control and didn’t even know it as I have seen Litchi do that before. No video and “disconnected” but I could still fly with the sticks and LOS.

Anyway, that’s my experience with DJI firsthand in regards to accountability and replacement. I attached the video of the flight that set this all in motion for the fun of it..You can see it beginning to descend after its second to last waypoint.(it kinda stops and starts again) Then it barely clears several trees (looks to hit the tips of a few) before running into a wall of maples. It appears to stop and just hover and I should have had control back but alas, Nothing...I’m guessing it just ran out of battery and dropped. Anyway, DJI said user error and replaced it..

PS-Sorry for the long post...
It seems you are spot on, the terms state “11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software” as excluded from coverage. It is arguable however that it is unlikely they might rely on this clause as there are seemingly few isstances where litchi could cause your AC to crash, the SDK limits litchi’s control over the AC. If they were to say something like “an incident that occurred while using a third party app” it would be a different story.

Long posts are good so no need to apologize at all. Good information.

One thing to note:

Video Feed Disconnect, Display Device Disconnect, and Transmitter to Aircraft Disconnect are ALL different things and have different indicators.

A) Loss of VIDEO FEED only:
If you have "just" video feed disconnect you won't have video on your display device but you'll still have flight telemetry. This could happen from interference, extreme distance between Transmitter and Aircraft, or hardware fault in the mix somewhere. Basically you just don't have video but you are still in FULL control of the aircraft and you can still use the onscreen telemetry to get the aircraft home.

B) Display Device Disconnect only:
This happens when your display device is no longer connected to your transmitter (wired or WiFi). Often times you'll see Disconnected on the screen but the transmitter is still in FULL control of the aircraft. At this point you fly the aircraft with your eyes and you have to determine the position and orientation of the aircraft in order to fly it home manually. Note that the transmitter will be showing a GREEN light even though you have nothing to indicate this on the display. The DISPLAY is disconnected for whatever reason (most likely flaky cable or port) but the Transmitter is in FULL control of the aircraft.

C) Transmitter to Aircraft Disconnect:
This is the one where you're pretty much low on options. You want to cycle the Tx power, turn yourself towards the aircraft for better signal, and position yourself in better proximity to aircraft (Run Forrest RUN) in order to regain connection to the aircraft. Hopefully your RTH settings are correct and soon you'll hear the AC buzzing along heading back to HOME POINT for a smooth landing.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
STEELING - 'STEALING'

No such word as "irregardless" - it is 'regardless'

As for your drone, if you use anything other than the DJI GO app and have problems, it's all on you. I agree with DJI, at that point it is not their problem.

Reactions: umneycreep
DJI has never supported a warranty claim for a third-party app and subsequent crash that I've heard about without a log they can understand and access. It's probably buried in their warranty someplace. Can't say I blame them if a bad coder messes up the DJI with their SDK and the drone takes off and flies into the ocean. Car makers were fighting about 3rd parties writing code for their cars where if it went bad or cleared a code it shouldn't, who was responsible for any warranty issue?

I know Litchi and Autopilot have issued a warning to not use their apps at times with a funky DJI firmware or software version, but you have to go to their site and look for it. I think Drone Deploy or Kitty Hawk also issues warnings. I don't know about Ultimate Flight, but maybe they will now.

I wouldn't call it stealing though. Now their refurb policy of replacing your pristine drone for a battered refurb I would call stealing. You get back a battered bird, and they will likely sell your pristine one for money later with a better warranty than your repaired one that might be good for a week. Now that policy annoys me!
Maybe they have supported claims that YOU haven't heard about. Do you review all the claims they receive? Do you have access to the disposition of the claims? Doubt it. Maybe you don't know as much as you purport.

STEELING - 'STEALING'

No such word as "irregardless" - it is 'regardless'

As for your drone, if you use anything other than the DJI GO app and have problems, it's all on you. I agree with DJI, at that point it is not their problem.
well gee thanks However;
You must have missed the little thing i mentioned as the known reason for the Drone departing
Here it is again
DESERIALIZER DISCONNECT.
Witch is a MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION And CUTS all communication period between the RC and the Quad
And again the RC in this case came to me defective New it would not PAIR with anything!
Also no video from the Quad (NEW) DJI evaluated agreed ,
REPAIRED AND RETURNED AND
SHE FLEW AWAY.
MECHICAL FAILURE NOT third party app no matter.how you spin it those facts will not go away or change

STEALING
mystery
Sync
Regardless (irregardless is not a word)
Themselves

If your correspondence with DJI is anything like your post here, I can understand them not taking you seriously.

I agree 110% thank you all for every single word that you have penned in the direction of my problem here ..... positive and constructive consideration are the most rewarding thing that i have been shown and offered sinse i spent my hard earned money and watch it fly off
And im truly greatfull to any body willing to share their knowlege
So thank you guys
One thing to note:

Video Feed Disconnect, Display Device Disconnect, and Transmitter to Aircraft Disconnect are ALL different things and have different indicators.

If you have "just" video feed disconnect you won't have video on your display device but you'll still have flight telemetry. This could happen from interference, extreme distance between Transmitter and Aircraft, or hardware fault in the mix somewhere. Basically you just don't have video but you are still in FULL control of the aircraft and you can still use the onscreen telemetry to get the aircraft home.

This happens when your display device is no longer connected to your transmitter (wired or WiFi). Often times you'll see Disconnected on the screen but the transmitter is still in FULL control of the aircraft. At this point you fly the aircraft with your eyes and you have to determine the position and orientation of the aircraft in order to fly it home manually. Note that the transmitter will be showing a GREEN light even though you have nothing to indicate this on the display. The DISPLAY is disconnected for whatever reason (most likely flaky cable or port) but the Transmitter is in FULL control of the aircraft.

This is the one where you're pretty much low on options. You want to cycle the Tx power, turn yourself towards the aircraft for better signal, and position yourself in better proximity to aircraft (Run Forrest RUN) in order to regain connection to the aircraft. Hopefully your RTH settings are correct and soon you'll hear the AC buzzing along heading back to HOME POINT for a smooth landing.

Hope this helps some.
I
It seems you are spot on, the terms state “11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software” as excluded from coverage. It is arguable however that it is unlikely they might rely on this clause as there are seemingly few isstances where litchi could cause your AC to crash, the SDK limits litchi’s control over the AC. If they were to say something like “an incident that occurred while using a third party app” it would be a different story.
First of all I would like
e

One thing to note:

Hope this helps some.

STEALING
mystery
Sync
Regardless (irregardless is not a word)
Themselves

If your correspondence with DJI is anything like your post here, I can understand them not taking you seriously.
Is that so! And on what maret exactly do you purport to site your athority ? And why exactly do you make such a distracting noise in refrence to my grammatical leisure and relaxation here on this phantompilots web site?
Rather effusive.

Can someone explain in detail what exactly a
DESERIALIZER DISCONNECT
is?? Does this occur anywhere else? Or is it a proprietary malfunction as well as everything else?

Ok and so its time to let every one know about the dark side of DJI. and yes i consider what they are doing STEELING. Some background; Owned and loved the p3s so of course i up graded when it was time.
went with the P3P . However this Phantom 3 Pro was DEFECTIVE right out of the box, Both the RC and the video down link were BAD and had to be sent back to SO CAL for Evaluation and repair.
This will sound quite incredible but I assure you every word is true. My Phantom was received and evaluated on the same day........it was repaired the following day.........and then it was returned by UPS the very next DAY!!
a week total WOW!!!.......I THOUGHT THESE GUYS ARE THE ****!
However; the P3P had problems video down link was spotty at best. But I WAS FLYING again..lil whoohoo

that was at the beginning of the year FEB, JUNE 30 My P3P FLEW AWAY I was testng the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 SDK APP for the very first time, now dont get ahead of your self here I have had AUTOPILOT for some time I also use AIRNEST along with of course the GO APP.

Now the [REASON] My P3P Flew off is NOT a mistery Ken Argo the head Tech on the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP help me go through all the flight logs and what we found was that a [DESERIALIZER DISCONNECT] had taken place. for those who don't know what that is simply it is a HARDWARE MALFUNCTION.
Plan and simple...right!?
Well DJI HAS CLOSED THE BOOKS ON MY CASE BECAUSE I CANNOT SEND THEM THE VIDEO OF THE LAST FLIGHT. the ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP has no means to do this.
and sense i cannot sinc the flight records using the GO APP irregardless of the fact that I have sent EVERYTHING 4 OR 5 TIMES AT LEAST it dosnt seem to matter that what took place it absolutely plan as day in black and white. or that THE ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP IS [DJI ULTIMATE FLIGHT3 APP]
they closed my case THATS STEELING
So what say you fellow Flyers?
I have purposely left out all of the comedic DRAMA and the intellectually insulting lines of non logic
that these clowns seem to cloak them self's in as insulation for their actions.

Stealing spelled "ea" not "ee". Good story though. Sucks that DJI won't help you on this problem

Can someone explain in detail what exactly a
DESERIALIZER DISCONNECT
is?? Does this occur anywhere else? Or is it a proprietary malfunction as well as everything else?
I haven’t experienced the error directly or seen much posted about it. From what I have read from others experiences it seems to relate to the communication between the USB and main boards in the remote controller and might include an issue with the USB port or the cable used to connect your display device.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl