DJI should include a tablet

Why was that a pain? I would hardly call it a pain to own a 64GB iPad with cellular option? You could just as easily have purchased an iPad Mini 2 with 16gb and no cellular and saved a ton of money. Your iPad configuration is way overkill for what P3 needs. Especially the cellular part. The iPad Mini 2's are selling for very low prices on Amazon.
Yeah I just picked up a 2nd iPad Mini 2 w/ 64 GB LTE for 240. The only reason my previous mini wouldn't cut it besides lag (they all have that in the heat) is it was only 16 GB and I had to constantly clean the video cache. Considering I got this 2nd one for less than the first I'll either resell it or find another use for it. I am on the opposite side of this equation as I was upset last fall buying Mini specifically for this purpose to find out I needed to buy a dedicated display for my P2 w/ H3-3D FPV setup. I thought that was a bit ridiculous given how poor the display was and finally just sold my BP for an acceptable loss, keeping the cheap generic for long term use until it craps out.

In theory, all these posts are correct. For whatever reasons, the phone/tablet/app situation seems to be the weakest link in an otherwise good chain of components.

And we must remember that as great as the P3 is, it's not military- or commercial-grade equipment. So we're linking a series of complex mission-critical aeronautical functions to unbelievably low-priced, readily-available, consumer-grade equipment.

The good news is that it works mostly well, most of the time!

Last edited:
Reactions: SENC and Ken Cruise
Every time I turn the tx on plug the cord and turn the app on I get a disconnected message.

I'm on Android latest everything. Am I doing something wrong? Why do I consistently get disconnected error when I first set up?

Not to sound like a fan boy but I think 99% of the issue is with the android app. I have owned Samsung and lg tablets before and never any issues but never used them with the pilot app.
I gave a air 2 that I fly with and never had 1 issue with it and no noticeable lag.

They just need to work the bugs out of the app to stop the crashing for the android guys.

Also all my iOS products are jail broken and has no effect with the pilot app.

Are the android guys rooting your tablets? All my android stuff is for work so I keep everything factory.

Not to sound like a fan boy but I think 99% of the issue is with the android app. I have owned Samsung and lg tablets before and never any issues but never used them with the pilot app.
I gave a air 2 that I fly with and never had 1 issue with it and no noticeable lag.

They just need to work the bugs out of the app to stop the crashing for the android guys.

Also all my iOS products are jail broken and has no effect with the pilot app.

Are the android guys rooting your tablets? All my android stuff is for work so I keep everything factory.
The nature of Android. There are so many different phones that it's hard to know how the app will run on all of them. It's a trade off... always has been.

The nature of Android. There are so many different phones that it's hard to know how the app will run on all of them. It's a trade off... always has been.

The software development is hard enough dice everything is pretty much 3rd party and I'm sure Google doesn't have nearly the QC that Apple has in the app stores.

Let's just be honest......According to the forums there are issues with IOS and Android. Disconnects, lags etc. Yet there are IOS users with none of those problems and there is me running Android with none of those problems. There are threads with IOS users using icepacks, ice-tape, fans etc due to an overheating issue leading to lags and disconnects. So obviously there is some issues for some.
@walker16 you are probably correct about the QC of the app store......HOWEVER they (apple) released 1.2.0 which has the gimbal error and a few other little bugs, so much for QC, and all I mean by that is what I stated.....added QC and yet bugs slip by. Does that make it worthy to recommend? Of course the issue will be fixed, along the way more may be introduced and they too will be fixed and that will apply to both platforms.
I just think it's disingenuous to say "get this platform, because the other one has such and such issues" when it is clear that both platforms have users suffering these issues. I have a Tab S and no issues.....but obviously some Android users have issues, you have an iPad and no issues.....but obviously some IOS users are having issues.
Not trying to start a big dialogue, but the topic of which platform is better for the P3 has been replayed at this forum time after time to the point now every answer lacks objectivity. If you read this forum you know IOS has issues for some just as Android has issues for some, if you have a preferred platform just go with that, most current issues have fixes that can help (both platforms) and the future will hopefully bring about better performance (both platforms).

Reactions: SENC
@walker16 you are probably correct about the QC of the app store......HOWEVER they (apple) released 1.2.0 which has the gimbal error and a few other little bugs, so much for QC, and all I mean by that is what I stated.....added QC and yet bugs slip by. Does that make it worthy to recommend? ...

Apple didn't release 1.2.0, DJI did. Also Apple does not do quality control for the functions of the app, they simply ensure the app behaves in a way that would not adversely affect iOS and the device. The QA is all done by DJI and apple just check to make sure they are within performance boundaries.

Personally, being a former android guy, I think iOS provides a much better experience using most apps when compared to the android version. This, of course, is personal preference as android apps tend to offer much more control (which seems the opposite for the pilot app). App quality can also depend on the ability of the programming teams for each platform. If your iOS device team sucks, then your android app may certainly be better.

Let's not turn this into an iOS vs android thread. We should be fair and call out either platform in the hopes to get bugs fixed for all of us!

Apple didn't release 1.2.0, DJI did. Also Apple does not do quality control for the functions of the app, they simply ensure the app behaves in a way that would not adversely affect iOS and the device. The QA is all done by DJI and apple just check to make sure they are within performance boundaries.

Personally, being a former android guy, I think iOS provides a much better experience using most apps when compared to the android version. This, of course, is personal preference as android apps tend to offer much more control (which seems the opposite for the pilot app). App quality can also depend on the ability of the programming teams for each platform. If your iOS device team sucks, then your android app may certainly be better.

Let's not turn this into an iOS vs android thread. We should be fair and call out either platform in the hopes to get bugs fixed for all of us!
Fair enough.....dji released the app....apple gave thumbs up.
My main message in my post is that EVERY thread asking about "which tablet to use" ends up being IOS vs Android.......I've seen people who "need" icepacks to keep their device cool, bash the idea that on some Androids we need to roll back Google Play Services to remove lag.....calling it a band aid....while they attach ice-packs and fans to their device....Bottom line neither environment is 100% without issues for everyone and many devices will do fine whether they are on the supported list or not. (After all some people are having issues with devices on the list)

Last edited:
Why was that a pain? I would hardly call it a pain to own a 64GB iPad with cellular option? You could just as easily have purchased an iPad Mini 2 with 16gb and no cellular and saved a ton of money. Your iPad configuration is way overkill for what P3 needs. Especially the cellular part. The iPad Mini 2's are selling for very low prices on Amazon.

Read some of my previous posts. I already had an iPad Mini 2 16GB Cellular. But it got hot enough to fry an ostrich egg, on the gold back plate.
And that, after only one 10min flight. I never, to my knowledge, experienced any video lag, but rarely do I look at the monitor, being more concerned about LOS. The pain for me, was in the rear, yes it was the cost. I already exchanged three iPads recently. Eventually leading me back to the unit I apprecate now. I can fly two batteries, back to back, and the iPad Air 2 64GB remains cool to the touch. I would have liked to buy an iPad Air 2 128GB with cellular, but that extra cost, was out of reach. Mentally I couldn't bring myself to do it. If money wasn't a main concern, I would have bought two. No, the iPad Mini 2 wasn't cutting it, as far as the high heat issue goes.

Yes, it was a Royal Pain... And Apple Store Love to see me... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Let's just be honest......According to the forums there are issues with IOS and Android. Disconnects, lags etc. Yet there are IOS users with none of those problems and there is me running Android with none of those problems. There are threads with IOS users using icepacks, ice-tape, fans etc due to an overheating issue leading to lags and disconnects. So obviously there is some issues for some.
@walker16 you are probably correct about the QC of the app store......HOWEVER they (apple) released 1.2.0 which has the gimbal error and a few other little bugs, so much for QC, and all I mean by that is what I stated.....added QC and yet bugs slip by. Does that make it worthy to recommend? Of course the issue will be fixed, along the way more may be introduced and they too will be fixed and that will apply to both platforms.
I just think it's disingenuous to say "get this platform, because the other one has such and such issues" when it is clear that both platforms have users suffering these issues. I have a Tab S and no issues.....but obviously some Android users have issues, you have an iPad and no issues.....but obviously some IOS users are having issues.
Not trying to start a big dialogue, but the topic of which platform is better for the P3 has been replayed at this forum time after time to the point now every answer lacks objectivity. If you read this forum you know IOS has issues for some just as Android has issues for some, if you have a preferred platform just go with that, most current issues have fixes that can help (both platforms) and the future will hopefully bring about better performance (both platforms).

I like my GOOGLE N7 II Tablet it's fine.... I like Windows 8.1.... I like Ford Cars..... I hate Fish! Yuck!
Everyone has likes and dislikes.
apple.jpg

I'm sure it will all work out soon with the bugs.
bugs.jpg

That idea will never fly.
Adding their own tablet contradicts their model of having an SDK that can be used by developers to write new enhanced apps.

Instead of bundling a tablet, they should do a better job testing their releases.
Of course people will hen complain that releases are too few and too far apart.

They should have an updated list of devices for which they checked compatibility.

They should have an app for laptops too! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl