DJI putting no fly zones around stadiums now?

We can all get up in arms and blame DJI - but the fact of the matter is - there are some idiotic people out there doing some incredibly stupid things in a very public way. The bulk of us on this forum are NOT the people these no-fly zones are created to restrict. These NFZ are created to stop the idiot who rushes out of Best Buy with a drone and immediately flies it over a stadium and crashes it into a crowd.

It's these same idiots who are going to end up causing more laws and restrictions to be written and NFZs will be the least of our problem.

I wish the media would spend at least some time trying to show the responsible 98% of us as well... people who try not to disturb others, who fly only when conditions are safe, who fly within our ability, who are recording scenery at appropriate altitudes (not people in their back yards).

I think it's great that DJI has made this hobby more accessible than collective pitch heli's - but it has also made it so easy that you don't have to have a brain to launch one of these things at a stadium because you believe it's your God given right to fly wherever you want.

It's sad... but I just can't get mad at DJI - I'm mad at all the idiots who are bringing down the collective IQ of our great hobby.

Reactions: BigAl07
I live near Wrigley and Soldier field and I hate to say it but...I'd rather not be able to fly near the stadiums than to have to hear about another UAV crashing into the stands during an event. Luckily the 2 recent incidents didn't cause any damage.

Here is an article that I find interesting because it shows the "public" view of drones. The title says it all.. Disasters!... Read all about those disasters.. This is why the FAA hates drones?? Really??

12 drone disasters that show why the FAA hates drones

Yep, in the eyes of the public, quad flyers are no better than the CIA when it comes to their privacy. Even though we can't see any detail (a face) at all using the cheesey cameras we are using unless we are 25 feet from someone.

And the news agencies also see quads as a threat to their helicopters that they paid big $$$$ for.
Somebody with a $500 quadcopter can now get the same image they can get.

Assuming you're in the US, are they allowed to do that?
I thought the FAA claimed absolute authority, and municipalities couldn't ban flight (though I guess they could ban takeoff/operation, similar to Federal Parks).

"Land of Confusion"
I think he must live the the communist ,illegal immigrant harboring state of California :eek:

I live near Wrigley and Soldier field and I hate to say it but...I'd rather not be able to fly near the stadiums than to have to hear about another UAV crashing into the stands during an event. Luckily the 2 recent incidents didn't cause any damage.

So by that comment I assume your all for big government and corporate control over all aspects of your life. Because your afraid people cant make the right choice by themselves. So maybe DJI should limit the age of who can fly them ;)as an older person my not be able to see or react fast enough or could have a heart attack while flying and crash into a group of babies out on the lawn with there nanny
No company should put Limits in place unless the law of the land says so . Since the law of the land says we may fly there ,when there is no games then DJI should not control it unless they can make it only controlled during the set restrictions.Otherwise you have a foreign business dictating what others can or cant do in other countrys
Would be like us selling cars
to other countries with max speed set to 55 mph because that is what your city uses

I suggest
Maybe make it a pop up saying check area for legal limits ands offer a override just like they do with the 500 meter height app limit
when its only legal, and I use that word loosely as its a advisory not a law to go 122 meters high yet we can fly up to 500:confused: with the dji app

Last edited:
Reactions: meringueman
Reactions: skyhighdiver
So of all the drone incursions at airports we have been hearing about lately, none of them could have involved a Phantom due to this firmware?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So of all the drone incursions at airports we have been hearing about lately, none of them could have involved a Phantom due to this firmware?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
no as the firmware only stops you from flying on the airport circle you may go to different heights as you go away from that circle so a phantom could have been airborn within 5 miles

dji fault or not doesnt matter
if i cant fly in safe areas because of stupid implementation or rules, ill just sell the phantom

banning flying above empty stadiums is stupid, banning flying in the area /not even above them is also stupid.

at some point everyone will start to be affected by all the no fly zone and will basically rarely be able to fly unless living in the total goonies.. and thus phantom sales will stop in the US?

In my local area, DJI created a No Fly Zone around an airport that has been closed since 2006 and isn't even an airport anymore. I wonder how they pick these NFZs.

People's sentiments are misplaced if they blame DJI. Ultimately, in this hobby, success ends up pushing regulation. DJI is most at fault only because they sell the most quads and are the most successful.

But there are tons of things out there you can get away with simply because very few people engage in it. You can buy a helicopter kit - a real one - and take your 300lb machine and yourself up in the air and fly for hours at thousands of feet in the air. Zero training required. And no one cares. Why? Because it's niche enough to not matter. But if every Joe and Harry can do it and people start doing stupid things, regulation and restrictions are a part of this life cycle.

As for the school I fly across the street, if I'm up in the air and one of these Life Flights comes zooming in and I can't land fast enough because I am in the Air ( Of course trying to bring it in knowing whats going on) I see the head lines now! Drone Operator prevents Life Flight aircraft from landing to pick up critical victim of car crash.

)

You'll be fine, just don't wear headphones. I live nearby to a MedFlight approach path/LZ and unless you're a mile out flying same pattern you'll be fine.

Just remember down is more important than down in front of you. Land it somewhere safe if needed then pop it up.

I know your situation was theoretical but this scenario I am familiar with. I suspect with time and tech I'll be required to have a transponder that alerts them to my quad and also permits it to go into a hold state until they pass.

I just ordered a P3P from Amazon today. I wonder if it will have the stadium restrictions in it? I was going to see if I could permission, from the airport tower 4+ miles away to fly around an empty Lambeau field.

If they are getting "creative" enough to put stadium restrictions in the Phantoms, they should also get creative enough to access a database of events to limit the restrictions to times with events. Or at least restrict them to the stadium property and a reasonable buffer such as the parking lot. I'd be so angry if I lived in one of those zones where they snuck in another restriction that is unnecessarily extended blocks or miles from the stadium.

Last edited:
I just ordered a P3P from Amazon today. I wonder if it will have the stadium restrictions in it? I was going to see if I could permission, from the airport tower 4+ miles away to fly around an empty Lambeau field.
You don't "ask" the tower for permission. You "notify" them that you'll be flying your model craft at specific a location, at a specific altitude, for a specific time period.

You don't "ask" the tower for permission. You "notify" them that you'll be flying your model craft at specific a location, at a specific altitude, for a specific time period.

Fantastic
I'm going to drag that around for a while so others can see. :)

Reactions: TheWire
So stadiums are NFZ, but not all airports?
I won't mention the name, but DJI has at least one metro airport that's not restricted. It's a smaller one with almost a million passengers per year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers