DJI putting no fly zones around stadiums now?

One more question - Brendan I hope you will be answering - if and when I do get my bird working over by the Planetarium as I want to, it obviously will be not far from the DJI NFZ near Soldiers Field - I'll include a screenshot from DJI's NFZ page - since obviously the actual working circumference is not exact, what happens if we inadvertently fly too close to the NFZ?

Will we get any warning to give us time to move back to a safe area - or will it just Auto land without any control on our part to move it away?
Don't want to end up 1/2 mile away or in the water......

The great view of downtown Chicago is from the area to the right and North of the blue circle that shows the new smaller NFZ for Soldier's Field. According to this map it should be no problem flying from here.
The old NFZ covered that whole peninsula to the edges by the Planetarium on the right. The City is to the North and West of that large green zone --Grant Park.

Sounds like I'm beating a dead horse here - but it affects all of us when near any DJI mandated NFZ. We need to know what will happen if we get too close and think we are safe, but may not be.
Also it's favorite spot of mine and I really want to be able to fly from there. I'm sure many of you have similar spots in your hometowns with a similar issue.

And for all the Drone Nazis out there - I do fly safe. I do take care what is around and under me. I usually like to fly sunrise or sunset, and away from people or property that could be damaged. And if the FAA says its OK for me to fly here when its NOT a game day or near game time, then I have no problem doing it.
YOU don't have to.....
SoldiersField_NFZ.jpg

Here is an article that I find interesting because it shows the "public" view of drones. The title says it all.. Disasters!... Read all about those disasters.. This is why the FAA hates drones?? Really??

12 drone disasters that show why the FAA hates drones
This article is ridiculous sensationalism. "Disasters" indeed. A minor injury in Australia! <shudder> A reported "near miss" of a helicopter with no details as to how close it really was! <gasp> A drone flew over a stadium and didn't crash! <the terror>

Maybe for Halloween kids should dress up like drones as they seem to irrationally terrify the public more than any ghost or werewolf.

Better be a Good Little Boy Jimmy or the "DroneMan" will GET You..... Mwuhahahaha!!!!

Or Fly within 1/2 mile of a totally empty Stadium at dawn...OMG!!!

I agree! It would be better to let the FAA regulate airspace and educate the people about it. Rather than have private sector companies regulating. Safety is not really rocket science. A bit of common sense that's all....and some knowledge....I would imagine the FAA sternly talked to DJI about including regulation in there products... My issue is, it's not the same regulation on both sides. Thats a bit confusing to people without knowledge of the airspace system. You have 2 sets of rules. And sometimes they conflict with each other!

Has anyone tried to fly around the new smaller NFZs by any stadium since the reduced the size?
I tried Saturday morning and even though the software showed I was pretty well clear of the NFZ, as soon as the P3p connected to my controller the Red zone jumped back to the older larger circle and put me back in the NFZ, and not even able to start motors. Has anyone been able to fly successfully in the new "safe" areas?

I've sent a note to Brendan (see posts above from him about the new smaller zones) and he said he'd pass it on the DJI.
I'm not sure what the issue is. My DJI Go app is updated. I had both P3, controller and iPad connected at home while on WiFi.
It must be something in the P3 itself that is still seeing the larger Zone. Either that or whatever system they use to mark off the NFZ via satellite hasn't really updated even though the software has.

Thanks Brendan. Please keep asking them to look into it.
No point in reducing the boundaries if it doesn't really work....
Also I hate wasting my time and best light traveling to a spot & being grounded.

Update: just tested that same site near Soldiers Field. Still not fixed.
Missing all these great fall days from my favorite spot......

This article is ridiculous sensationalism. "Disasters" indeed. A minor injury in Australia! <shudder> A reported "near miss" of a helicopter with no details as to how close it really was! <gasp> A drone flew over a stadium and didn't crash! <the terror>

Maybe for Halloween kids should dress up like drones as they seem to irrationally terrify the public more than any ghost or werewolf.

Wouldn't a near miss be --- a direct hit? So they need to change the wordage to a near hit if they did not hit the drone?

Not pointing out how you wrote it but I hear this term a bit and it doesn't make sense to me.

---------
Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark are the You can't fly here list as well.
Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 8.05.33 PM.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20