DJI putting no fly zones around stadiums now?

Yes, they put stadium restrictions in the firmware but the firmware does not know when the games are to be played so the restrictions are all the time. They put that in with the new firmware update.

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL) regular season, NCAA football, and motor speedway events. The so-called "stadium TFR" prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is an MLB game, regular or post-season NFL game, NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this. Did a search and couldn't find anyone else talking about it though. Anyone know the details on this? Is this a restriction at all times or just during games? There is no Steelers game today but it's still blocked around Heinz Field. How large is the radius?View attachment 30607
Good add to the forum. I didn't know about the stadiums being added.

Reactions: S5S5G6
Someone mentioned it Tuesday on the DJI forum here

Logical outcome when irresponsible folks fly into arenas filled with people trying to enjoy a game.

has the map's been updated on there web site? All i can find is the airport no fly map.

Sneaky DJI. I don't have issues with stadiums, but their no fly zones are too large and prohibit flying at adjacent 'safe' areas....

I snuck this in a couple of days before the new firmware. Citizens Bank Park & Lincoln Financial in Philly (during a time with no events going on).

Also an empty University of Delaware Stadium

P.S. - Won't try this next week when the Pope is in town - wouldn't want to run the risk of going to jail AND to Hell all at the same time...

Last edited:
Does that field say Blue Hens?! Hens?! LOL!! Regarding op................... if certain people were to know certain other people, who happened to know even more people, they might be able to locate a hack to remove the over-reaching no-fly zones. But I certainly wouldn't know of those people. :D

That post had me actually look up (via Google Maps) where M&T stadium actually sits relative to the rest of downtown. Good god, 3 miles (actually, 3 nautical miles, which is 5.5 km / 18,228 feet / 3.45 statute miles) from that is absolutely ludicrous.

Here's the Google Map for M&T Bank Stadium. Right-click the pin, select 'Measure Distance', click somewhere, drag the white pin to 3.45 miles away. Just asinine.

There needs to be some sort of compromise on DJI's part. Have the restrictions for newbies, but allow the pilot to exercise their own discretion after 'x' number of flights or something.

WTF! DJI is getting a little out of hand. I live near Baltimore and I like to get early morning footage at sunrise. There are not games going on around 0630. These restrictions cut into the harbor.

Last edited:
I assume these are app related zones and if we use a different flight app say FPV CAMERA these would not be a issue.:confused:
I don't know. Looking at the documentation for AFL's Autopilot app, it seems to suggest that the NFZs would still be honored. Possibly because it's using the SDK rather than direct access to the FC.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I agree with the comments for a change on DJIs policy. I've been curious about the other software as well. I guess thats not an option either.

I agree with the comments for a change on DJIs policy. I've been curious about the other software as well. I guess thats not an option either.
Well good news is I now have all the features I had with my p2+ and more
so All though I have a few restriction I will never update again to get more.But I do find it strange ,like at the airport by me there is a red no fly ring just around runway area, but If i start just outside that area it gives me a warning I am approaching a no fly zone but Ive been up over 200 ft and no issues so kind of willy nilly restrictions

If it was the app you could just use an older one. I bet its firmware andeven backing it to aa previous version would not change the restricted areas. Just guessing.

If it was the app you could just use an older one. I bet its firmware andeven backing it to aa previous version would not change the restricted areas. Just guessing.
Good question. I haven't updated to the latest Go App but NFL and MLB stadiums still show up with red circles around them in the last one from a month ago.

Has anybody verified that a P3s motors won't start inside a No-fly zone if you don't have a device running the app connected? That would tell you whether it's firmware or not.

Reactions: meringueman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj