DJI Phantom pro 4 v2.0

Sounds like you have had rotten luck, also sounds like you got stuck with someone else’s return. Never heard of Best Buy doing that, other retailers like Frys were famous for it.

I have heard a lot of horror stories on this forum and elsewhere related to the P4P V2. My original P4 has been rock solid since purchase. I purchase it from DJI when the P4 was just released along with two extra batteries.

After years of heavy use in conditions ranging from sandy beaches to cold and snow, I have never had an issue with the drone or batteries. I wonder if DJI is just struggling to scale the production of the P4P V2. They have been out of stock on it now going on a few months.

I would agree, wait for the 5 to finally show up or get the original P4P, it’s seems to be the more stable platform.

Hi yeah I can’t find the original phantom pro 4 anywhere. It’s just the pro 4 v2
I have decided to get The Mavic 2 zoom instead. The guy at Best Buy recommended this one. I had The Mavic Pro 2 before but it’s okay o guess. Maybe I’ll buy the phantom 5 when it’s released
I just had so many issue with the phantom it’s scared me to even get another

To the originator of this post, your luck is not necessarily all that rotten. It seems to be common with the v2.0, there have been lots of GPS issues, Compass issues, and ESC problems as well. Personally I bought a brand new V 2.0 from Best Buy and 45 days later it fell out of the sky. Best Buy only accepts returns up to 30 days. DJI sent me a refurbished drone at no charge and 30 days after receiving the refurbished drone, it too fell out of the sky. I had a bit of trouble having them admit hardware error for the second crash, but eventually they took the blame and I just received a drone yesterday. Brand new, not refurbished. Fingers crossed that this one does not contain the same defective Hardware components. The DJI website has been out of stock for several weeks now, probably because they realize all these problems exist.

Reactions: Albert000
I eventually gave up trying to get a phantom drone and just got the Mavic 2 zoom.
I enjoy
To the originator of this post, your luck is not necessarily all that rotten. It seems to be common with the v2.0, there have been lots of GPS issues, Compass issues, and ESC problems as well. Personally I bought a brand new V 2.0 from Best Buy and 45 days later it fell out of the sky. Best Buy only accepts returns up to 30 days. DJI sent me a refurbished drone at no charge and 30 days after receiving the refurbished drone, it too fell out of the sky. I had a bit of trouble having them admit hardware error for the second crash, but eventually they took the blame and I just received a drone yesterday. Brand new, not refurbished. Fingers crossed that this one does not contain the same defective Hardware components. The DJI website has been out of stock for several weeks now, probably because they realize all these problems exist.

I just gave up on the phantom and just got the magic 2 zoom instead. I quit happy with this drone so far no issues at all. Maybe when they release the Phantom 5 I’ll get it

I wish you luck and hopefully eveything goes well with your 3rd replacement. Keep me updated if possible

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
I wish you luck and hopefully eveything goes well with your 3rd replacement. Keep me updated if possible
Just ran two batteries through it. One was during twilight and the other was dark so I didn't bother with videos. Captured long exposure stills instead. First battery seemed solid, but second battery the AC started to experience slight yaw drift which made the long exposure (1.5 seconds - 3 seconds) blurry and unusable. Reading up on this and supposedly this could be fixed with firmware?? I Have only provided stills a handful of times, most people want video, so hopefully won't kill me, but still.... $1,600 for a drone we shouldn't have these issues! If it were $150 I would understand and not expect so much.

Just ran two batteries through it. One was during twilight and the other was dark so I didn't bother with videos. Captured long exposure stills instead. First battery seemed solid, but second battery the AC started to experience slight yaw drift which made the long exposure (1.5 seconds - 3 seconds) blurry and unusable. Reading up on this and supposedly this could be fixed with firmware?? I Have only provided stills a handful of times, most people want video, so hopefully won't kill me, but still.... $1,600 for a drone we shouldn't have these issues! If it were $150 I would understand and not expect so much.

It gets really frustrating, really quickly. Especially in a video where you need it to just watch one spot, it wont. In one minute, you could be pointed more than 45 degrees from your initial subject.

Yeah, its a real shame that the latest and greatest model cant provide results and the V1 is rock solid. And go figure V1 is unavailable now.

It gets really frustrating, really quickly. Especially in a video where you need it to just watch one spot, it wont. In one minute, you could be pointed more than 45 degrees from your initial subject.

Yeah, its a real shame that the latest and greatest model cant provide results and the V1 is rock solid. And go figure V1 is unavailable now.
I actually asked for original p4p as my replacement but they never addressed that request, lol

P4 Vr 2.0 = drift during hover.

MP2 or MPP no drift. Rock solid.

Still prefer camera in P4 Vr2.0.

After all firmware updates, my P4 pro vr2.0 still exhibits slight yaw. Enough that long exposure stills are worthless when it occurs. Sometimes it’s steady on a flight next time it’s not. I have started recalibration of the IMU the morning before I fly. Seems to help somewhat.

Paul C

Reactions: LARA images

After all firmware updates, my P4 pro vr2.0 still exhibits slight yaw. Enough that long exposure stills are worthless when it occurs. Sometimes it’s steady on a flight next time it’s not. I have started recalibration of the IMU the morning before I fly. Seems to help somewhat.

Paul C

I agree I love the camera on the phantom but I had so many issues I didn’t want to keep such an expensive drone that had issues like this so I got The Mavic 2 zoom and it’s still a great camera and drone.

I would like to blame my most recent crash on drift...
In Needville, TX, there is a 150' water tower, built in 1948, that is set for demolition. What better subject could there be?
I drove down to fly it. Set up Point-Of-Interest mode and began to fly. The P4 V2 drifted off center and flew in an elipse. I re-centered and the second time, it flew into the water tower....and there it sits.
I cannot enter the chain link fence to climb the rickety metal ladder to retrieve it and I'm told by the city fathers, "If you do, we have to call Homeland Security as it is a protected site after 9-11".
So....my P4 V2 awaits the City of Needville sending someone up the ladder or waiting for a crane to take the water tower down. The Water Tower is caught up on a lawsuit to prevent demolition, so who knows WHEN/IF I will get my P4 V2 back.
The only good this about this story is that I have 1 more DJI warranty claim left, so when/if I get it back, off it goes to DJI.
I feel really silly, but hearing your story makes mine pale.
Happy New YEar!

I would like to blame my most recent crash on drift...
In Needville, TX, there is a 150' water tower, built in 1948, that is set for demolition. What better subject could there be?
I drove down to fly it. Set up Point-Of-Interest mode and began to fly. The P4 V2 drifted off center and flew in an elipse. I re-centered and the second time, it flew into the water tower....and there it sits.
I cannot enter the chain link fence to climb the rickety metal ladder to retrieve it and I'm told by the city fathers, "If you do, we have to call Homeland Security as it is a protected site after 9-11".
So....my P4 V2 awaits the City of Needville sending someone up the ladder or waiting for a crane to take the water tower down. The Water Tower is caught up on a lawsuit to prevent demolition, so who knows WHEN/IF I will get my P4 V2 back.
The only good this about this story is that I have 1 more DJI warranty claim left, so when/if I get it back, off it goes to DJI.
I feel really silly, but hearing your story makes mine pale.
Happy New YEar!
Have you contemplated a drone to drone rescue? It is a risky op (for the good drone) but if you search youtube you can see some successes. I have a good old trusty phantom 3 standard that could carry a v2.0, but after mapping the distance I am sorry to say that 250 miles from Dallas is a little out of range for me! But in theory you just hang a hook from the good drone and go fishing until she hooks to your downed bird. Just don't hook a railing or anything else...(easier said than done, haha)

Have you contemplated a drone to drone rescue? It is a risky op (for the good drone) but if you search youtube you can see some successes. I have a good old trusty phantom 3 standard that could carry a v2.0, but after mapping the distance I am sorry to say that 250 miles from Dallas is a little out of range for me! But in theory you just hang a hook from the good drone and go fishing until she hooks to your downed bird. Just don't hook a railing or anything else...(easier said than done, haha)
Great suggestion, but a bit too dicey for the good drone. I'm going to have to wait.... This is just crazy! Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Attachments

• P4 Needville.jpg
    P4 Needville.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 267
Great suggestion, but a bit too dicey for the good drone. I'm going to have to wait.... This is just crazy! Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

If you get impatient and decide to attempt a drone/drone rescue PLEASE install a release mechanism to the bottom of the rescuer and attach your tether to it. That way if you do accidentally "hook" something else you can drop the tether and fly away. Just a suggestion.

Paul C
I had both. Liked the P4 V2 until I crashed it on top of a water tower. See the photo near the end of this thread. Arghhhh!

If you get impatient and decide to attempt a drone/drone rescue PLEASE install a release mechanism to the bottom of the rescuer and attach your tether to it. That way if you do accidentally "hook" something else you can drop the tether and fly away. Just a suggestion.
Excellent suggestion. It's only been a couple of days and I AM getting impatient!

Reactions: TR Ganey

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164