DJI Phantom/Mavic/Inspire no longer acceptable for use in Canadian controlled airspace

Reaction score
I registered several DJI aircraft today at the TC website. None of my DJI equipment will be permitted to operate in any controlled airspace after June 1st, unless DJI issues a SAFE compliance declaration for each aircraft. If this is not done, then virtually every commercial operator in the country will be unable to fly in most situations.

I would be interested in a response from DJI to address when they will issue the necessary paperwork to Transport Canada.

This is a copy of a registration certificate

TC DJI Restrictions.jpg
TC DJI Restrictions.jpg

Wow... that's huge . . . .

I have no doubt that, once DJI is informed of this, they will meet any and all Transport Canada paperwork and Safe Compliance Declarations will be issued for all DJI aircraft.

DJI is a huge and successful company and by now(January 10th), I'm sure representatives from DJI are talking to Transport Canada.

This matter will be resolved shortly.

Transport Minister , Marc Garneau, had a news conference yesterday and officially released the new regulations.

It will not take DJI long to satisfy Transport Canada requirements.

I registered several DJI aircraft today at the TC website. None of my DJI equipment will be permitted to operate in any controlled airspace after June 1st, unless DJI issues a SAFE compliance declaration for each aircraft. If this is not done, then virtually every commercial operator in the country will be unable to fly in most situations.

I would be interested in a response from DJI to address when they will issue the necessary paperwork to Transport Canada.

This is a copy of a registration certificate

View attachment 107220View attachment 107220

Can you expand on what exactly a SAFE compliance declaration for each aircraft is?

I'm also curious to know about the safe compliance terminology. The regs have been under development for a couple of years so if DJI hasn't worked on getting compliance for the product line, I doubt they will over the next four months. It's possible that they are working on it and perhaps have run into a certification snag but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Can you expand on what exactly a SAFE compliance declaration for each aircraft is?
In simple terms, SAFE is a declaration by the equipment manufacturer that the flight system will perform in a predictable manner with all testing performed to ASTM F.38 standards. This testing includes airframe structure, propulsion systems, power/fuel systems, C2, pilot interfaces, etc.

Safety Assured Flight Envelope is an approach to account for all the risks associated with operating the flight system together with the mitigations of those risks, summarized such that all responsibility for the flight behaviour is guaranteed by the manufacturer.

ASTM F.38 is a non partisan committee responsible for defining international standards of performance and testing within the larger ASTM organization. ASTM International - Standards Worldwide

Reactions: Timinator
I have no doubt that, once DJI is informed of this, they will meet any and all Transport Canada paperwork and Safe Compliance Declarations will be issued for all DJI aircraft.

DJI is a huge and successful company and by now(January 10th), I'm sure representatives from DJI are talking to Transport Canada.

This matter will be resolved shortly.

Transport Minister , Marc Garneau, had a news conference yesterday and officially released the new regulations.

It will not take DJI long to satisfy Transport Canada requirements.

To date, DJI's official response is that they support the new regulations are will ensure that DJI Enterprise customer equipment will meet the standards. The "enterprise" equipment is the DJI M210 and larger aircraft, not the Phantom, Inspire 1 or 2 nor the Mavic.

Is this really a big problem. You are not allowed to fly in CTR which normally goes from GND up to 2000 feet. TMA goes from the roof of CTR and up to CTA. Perhaps You have other rules i Canada but here in Sweden and most European countries You may only fly up to 400 feet G-air. For the moment we have a rule in Sweden that we are allowed to fly up to 50 m (about 165 feet) within a distance of 5 km from nearest runway. Fly under all TMA:s and be happy.

Is this really a big problem. You are not allowed to fly in CTR which normally goes from GND up to 2000 feet. TMA goes from the roof of CTR and up to CTA. Perhaps You have other rules i Canada but here in Sweden and most European countries You may only fly up to 400 feet G-air. For the moment we have a rule in Sweden that we are allowed to fly up to 50 m (about 165 feet) within a distance of 5 km from nearest runway. Fly under all TMA:s and be happy.
Yes it is a huge problem! Canadian airspace regulations prohibit flying without CAA authorization in all classes of airspace except class G (uncontrolled). So anywhere within 5Nm of an aerodrome and most urban areas are affected. This ban on DJI equipment includes 90% of the airspace that commercial operators are working in.

Under TMA it is class G. TMA goes from about 2000 feet an upwards. Are You really working att altitudes over 400 feet so often. When I got a job on a building or other construction over 400 feet I can get a special permit for a certain time and place.

LOL no - our airspace is categorized differently than EU. We operate from SFC to 400AGL usually. Class G is "uncontrolled" e.g. no tower coordination. Most operations are covered under the Special Flight Operations Certificate. This new issue with DJI prohibits uncertified aircraft from operating in controlled airspace.

To date, DJI's official response is that they support the new regulations are will ensure that DJI Enterprise customer equipment will meet the standards. The "enterprise" equipment is the DJI M210 and larger aircraft, not the Phantom, Inspire 1 or 2 nor the Mavic.
Sure hope the FAA stays away from such ridiculous rules. (But not holding my breath)

I was confused over the wording of the last two restrictions on “near and over people” so I looked the actual law up and it says:

“Manufacturer Declaration — Permitted Operations

901.69 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system under this Division to conduct any of the following operations unless a declaration under section 901.76 has been made in respect of that model of system and the certificate of registration issued in respect of the aircraft specifies the operations for which the declaration was made:

(a) operations in controlled airspace;

(b) operations at a distance of less than 100 feet (30 m) but not less than 16.4 feet (5 m) from another person except from a crew member or other person involved in the operation, measured horizontally and at any altitude; or

(c) operations at a distance of less than 16.4 feet (5 m) from another person, measured horizontally and at any altitude.”

I find the language confusing and overlapping.

But I think what they mean is, a pilot can

A) NOT fly in controlled airspace.
B) fly between 5-30m adjacent (horizontally) to crew or participants
C) NOT fly closer than 5m to anyone (except the pilot) at any time
And the overall rule: cannot fly directly over anyone (except the pilot) at any time.

Sound right?

If you are an advanced certificate holder and have a SAFE declared aircraft from the manufacturer, you can fly in in controlled airspace (pending approval from ATC), and CAN fly over people with a minimum altitude of 5m over them.

If you are an advanced certificate holder but are flying a non-declared safe aircraft, you can't fly in controlled airspace, nor fly over people even though you are certificated to do so.

Reactions: Arbutus
As I understand it TC hasnt even released the full requirements for SAFE. I am certain that when they do DJI will respond and I find it highly unlikely that they'll leave us all high and dry... as a P3P owner I am worries that they will only certify current models but I am sure they will certify mavic and phantom

As I understand it TC hasnt even released the full requirements for SAFE. I am certain that when they do DJI will respond and I find it highly unlikely that they'll leave us all high and dry... as a P3P owner I am worries that they will only certify current models but I am sure they will certify mavic and phantom
I'm wondering if DJI hasn't certified most of their drones not because they don't want to, but perhaps they can't due to things that may be intrinsic to the designs.

I'm wondering if DJI hasn't certified most of their drones not because they don't want to, but perhaps they can't due to things that may be intrinsic to the designs.
No i think it is just that the standards haven't been published

Reactions: Timinator
I just successfully registered my P4P with Transport Canada on the drone registration portal.
No problem and I immediately received my registration number which needs to be attached to the aircraft after June 1st, this year.

As I posted earlier, DJI immediately was in contact with Transport Canada and resolved the Safe Compliance Declaration issue.

Everything is fine and Canadian Phantom pilots should go ahead and register their aircraft. :)

I just successfully registered my P4P with Transport Canada on the drone registration portal.
No problem and I immediately received my registration number which needs to be attached to the aircraft after June 1st, this year.

As I posted earlier, DJI immediately was in contact with Transport Canada and resolved the Safe Compliance Declaration issue.

Everything is fine and Canadian Phantom pilots should go ahead and register their aircraft. :)
On your registration certificate, what does it state on the right side under "Manufacturer RPAS safety assurance declaration?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers