Canada makes it difficult for non citizens to Fly drone

With all the wilderness in Canada, what are the trying to protect. I wish they were more strict on who crosses their borders.
It might be easier to buy a drone in a pawn shop, use it, and sell it before you leave.

Hi Guys & Girls, I’m new to the forum :) and came across this post by chance... and thought I would post my experience so far regarding the process to (NOT) obtaining a SFOC in Canada - aka the form 26-0835E (Application for a Special Flight Operation Certificate - SFOC) - hopefully this info is useful for any other Aussie drone enthusiast thinking of taking there drone to Canada for "Happy Snaps".

btw..I’m an enthusiast, who fly's on weekends, under 2kg excluded category + flying for fun I don't need a licence or certification.

With that said...
I’m from Australia and heading to Canada for a holiday, in the next few weeks (Aug 2019), and was hoping to take my Mavic Air to get a few cool “selfies” hahaha, but I have been struggling to get my head around on how to get my drone registered and obtaining the SFOC permit as a ‘foreign pilot’ with Transport Canada.

Before, I submitted my official online application, I sent them an email (25th June) direct to: [email protected] stating my intent to fly recreationally for my upcoming family holiday and that most of the questions on the 26-0835E SFOC form didn't seem to be applicable to a casual drone operator. (btw, I just received a response today - 9th August :oops:) see below...
- - -
Hello, You will need to apply for a SFOC via this form.
We do not differentiate between recreation or commercial use. Regards,

Civil Aviation Safety Inspector- Flight Operations
RPAS Center for Expertise
Transport Canada/Government of Canada
- - -
I ended up submitting my 26-0835E SFOC form a few days later anyway (29th June) which I also just received a response (8th Aug), also, at the same time I applied for a GCKey, and upon submitting this error message appeared

Attention
  1. It is not possible to continue registering for an account as you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. If you are a foreign resident and wish to operate a drone in Canada, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate.
- - -

Also, this was the response I received today (9th August) - (from my 26-0835E SFOC form application, remembering I sent this on the 29th of June)

Thank you for submitting your SFOC request to Transport Canada – RPAS Centre of Expertise.
Your reference number is ATS-19-20-xxxxxxxxxxxx ** Please include this reference number in the subject of your e-mails and any correspondence related to this request **
In order to obtain a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) to operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) in Canada as a Foreign Operator or Pilot, please complete the following;
1. Provide the following documents:
a. Completed application Form 26-0835E if you have not already done so;
b. Completed checklist;
c. Copy of your passport;
d. Copy of your TP-15263 compliant training certificate;
e. Copy of Flight Review appointment confirmation (Advanced Operations ONLY);
f. Foreign RPAS pilot certificate (if available);
g. Foreign RPAS registration certificate (if available); and
h. Any other documents that may support your application, as per Section D of the checklist.
2. You are required to read and understand the Canadian Aviation Regulations – Part IX
3. Familiarize yourself with the attached checklist, confirm each item with a check mark (YES-NO-N/A) and provide additional information where necessary. Information can be written directly onto the checklist itself or in your reply email by specifying the item number for which the information pertains to.

4. Complete training from a Canadian self-declared training provider based on Transport Canada TP-15263. Some of these courses are offered online while others are offered in a classroom setting.
NOTE: If applying for Advanced Operations: a Flight Review must also be completed once you arrive in Canada. Completion of the flight review will be a condition on your SFOC.
5. E-mail the completed form, supporting documentation, and checklist to [email protected] and mention “ATS-19-20-xxxxxxxxxxxx – YOUR NAME - SFOC Application – Foreign Operator/Pilot” in the “SUBJECT” line.
Please note that once an SFOC is issued, it will be the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure all conditions of the SFOC are complied with. Failure to comply with any condition of the SFOC may result in fines of up to $1000.00 for an individual or $5000.00 for a corporation.
Processing times for SFOC applications are up to 30 working days. Incomplete applications or missing information will result in processing delays.
Kindest regards,
RPAS - Centre of Expertise
Transport Canada

[email protected]

In addition, you will need to complete the Checklist for SFOC – RPAS – CAR 903.01(c) – Operation of a RPAS by a foreign operator or pilot – Basic and Advanced Operations and meet the requirements within - note dot point 1d, and 4 which need to be completed in Canada, and then wait up to another 30days for possible approval...

by the time I receive this, I will most likely be back in Australia :p drinking an Aussie Fosters beer...JK (that stuff is gross hahaha)

So in summary, seems that Transport Canada don't want foreign "enthusiast" drone pilots flying while on holiday, and it's virtually impossible to obtain a SFOC if you are a non-Canadian resident...

In contrast I applied for a permit with FAA to fly in the USA, and it literally took 5 minutes to be approved and cost me $5USD...

I'm departing in a few weeks...so no flying in Canada for me :rolleyes: sadness.....
Please let me know if anyone else has been in the same boat and had any luck with obtaining a SFOC in Canada?
Thanks everyone for reading -
Hi
I'm also from Australia and flying to Canada/Usa next week.
And I have obtained my SFOC.
I did a RPAS Ground School / Basic course on line, which covers TP15263.
Then I did an Exam Prep Basic (it's a sample exam ) I had to do that in under 90 mins and a pass mark> 75%.
I did the courses through coastaldrone.co, a Canadian company based in BC
They sent my certificates to Transport Canada with a covering letter.
Anyone who wants a contact name and details, please send me a message at
[email protected]

Hi
Then I did an Exam Prep Basic (it's a sample exam ) I had to do that in under 90 mins and a pass mark> 75%.
They sent my certificates to Transport Canada with a covering letter.
[email protected]

That’s awesome, wish I had more time, r
Hi
They sent my certificates to Transport Canada with a covering letter.espond
[email protected]

That’s awesome!
Wonder why they took so long to reply, I’m running out of time ?

Can I ask how long the process took for you to obtain your SFOC?

That’s awesome, wish I had more time, r

That’s awesome!
Wonder why they took so long to reply, I’m running out of time ?

Can I ask how long the process took for you to obtain your SFOC?
The online course can be done as soon as you download it.
It took one week from the time Coastal drone sent the covering letter and receiving my SOFC.

Reactions: mrPOVO
Thanks for the info, appreciated - I leave next Friday, so think my chances are slim... ? oh well

Hope you have a nice trip bud!

Easier for an Inspire 2 to pass through the eye of a needle than to get authorisation as a foreign drone pilot in Canada. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks but first began my mission about a month ago by reading about all the requirements on TC's website.

I contact one of their approved training providers and asked what I needed to do. Following their advice I ...
  1. Completed an online RPAS course (TP 15263 compatible).
  2. Filled in the checklist and the SFOC form.
  3. Sent this along with a copy of my PPL (for flying real aircraft)
  4. Waited
Heard back from TC within a reasonable amount of time saying things looked good but needed a couple more things ...
  1. Complete one YES/NO question on the checklist stating if my drone was registered internationally
  2. Ask the training provider to add the TP 15263 compatible label to my course certificate.
Sent it off again and thought I was home and hosed but NO.

Heard back from TC saying that my online training was only basic and needed to be advanced even though I will be flying only basic. Seems this was missed by my training provider.

Anyway, given up now since I'm not forking out any more time or money for training and will be leaving my drone at home.

TC - 1
Me - 0

Easier for an Inspire 2 to pass through the eye of a needle than to get authorisation as a foreign drone pilot in Canada. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks but first began my mission about a month ago by reading about all the requirements on TC's website.

I contact one of their approved training providers and asked what I needed to do. Following their advice I ...
  1. Completed an online RPAS course (TP 15263 compatible).
  2. Filled in the checklist and the SFOC form.
  3. Sent this along with a copy of my PPL (for flying real aircraft)
  4. Waited
Heard back from TC within a reasonable amount of time saying things looked good but needed a couple more things ...
  1. Complete one YES/NO question on the checklist stating if my drone was registered internationally
  2. Ask the training provider to add the TP 15263 compatible label to my course certificate.
Sent it off again and thought I was home and hosed but NO.

Heard back from TC saying that my online training was only basic and needed to be advanced even though I will be flying only basic. Seems this was missed by my training provider.

Anyway, given up now since I'm not forking out any more time or money for training and will be leaving my drone at home.

TC - 1
Me - 0
Sorry to hear that. Have you thought about the new Mavic Mini? I know it’s no Inspire 2 but since it is below 250g, pilot’s licence and registration is not required. I am assuming this applies to non-residents as well. May be worth checking into.

Chris

Sorry to hear that. Have you thought about the new Mavic Mini? I know it’s no Inspire 2 but since it is below 250g, pilot’s licence and registration is not required. I am assuming this applies to non-residents as well. May be worth checking into.

Chris
I used the Inspire for effect and actually own a Mavic Pro. And, yes, the new Mini does fly under the radar but can't justify a new drone just for this trip.

And I wonder how long before the authorities change the rules so that weight is no longer the single yardstick for drone regulations. Why does a 750 gram Mavic present such a huge risk while a 249 gram Mini doesn't, even though it can do pretty much everything it's big brother can do?

I used the Inspire for effect and actually own a Mavic Pro. And, yes, the new Mini does fly under the radar but can't justify a new drone just for this trip.

And I wonder how long before the authorities change the rules so that weight is no longer the single yardstick for drone regulations. Why does a 750 gram Mavic present such a huge risk while a 249 gram Mini doesn't, even though it can do pretty much everything it's big brother can do?
I hear ya! And I agree, it probably won’t be long until the rules are amended to include the mini. I have a Spark and it’s only 50g more than the MM yet I have to register it and have a pilot’s licence to fly it.

Also, the battery time of the Mini is twice as long as the Spark so it can go farther and stay in the air longer than the Spark on a single battery.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj