DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
Here we go again.
image.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: dirkclod
What do you mean by "auto-pilot"? It can auto-land and auto takeoff, or do a waypoint mission, but it doesent auto pilot.

I heard it had auto take off and land, but that it also had an auto pilot mode. ?
Are you saying the auto take off and landing are done in autopilot mode. I guess that now makes sense.
Or is auto pilot mode for something else ?

I heard it had auto take off and land, but that it also had an auto pilot mode. ?
Are you saying the auto take off and landing are done in autopilot mode. I guess that now makes sense.
Or is auto pilot mode for something else ?
I had not heard about "auto-pilot mode", but I may have missed it.

What do you mean by "auto-pilot"? It can auto-land and auto takeoff, or do a waypoint mission, but it doesent auto pilot.
It can't do a waypoint mission until someone writes the program to make that possible.
The autopilot seems to be a fancy word for the RTH button.

I am beyond happy with the switch from the ugly fish-eye ultra-wide-angle to something more compressed. I was going to go for a P2 or something with a GoPro on it but kept cringing at the thought of dealing with that hideous warp effect. I shoot very tall, large, pole-straight equipment. This upgrade is perfect for my company. I think the only things that could make me any happier would be swappable lenses that can use filters, but for the price, the frame rate, resolution, the manual camera control, the RAW files (!), I am stoked!

I like the fisheye for certain situations but I am not sad about the 90+ degree FOV on the P3. For your purposes, fisheye is a really bad thing! Definitely needs a filter attachment so I'm thinking to try a silicon adhesive to attach a ND filter until someone comes out with a filter solution.

It can't do a waypoint mission until someone writes the program to make that possible.
The autopilot seems to be a fancy word for the RTH button.

My guess is they may have left out the waypoint / autonomous flight to be able to sell the unit as a quad copter instead of a drone. May get them around some regulations.
What happens app wise afterwards isn't in their control. :)

Even without waypoints it can still auto fly home from 2kms away so I'm afraid that rules out that theory

They said, when they release the SDK, a third party can develop apps for it, probably to work with the DJI Pilot app, the capabilities for waypoints and follow me are there, just need the software...

I ordered 2 of the Advanced versions, cameras are the same, so why pay $260 more for 4k when I have a 1080p Samsung that has better picture than most 4k TVs? Also most likely someone will hack the Advanced version to unlock 4k or DJI will just unlock it themselves, just like when they came out with Naza V2, they essentially updated the software for Naza V1 eventually to make it a V2...

My guess is they may have left out the waypoint / autonomous flight to be able to sell the unit as a quad copter instead of a drone. May get them around some regulations.
What happens app wise afterwards isn't in their control. :)

What regulations are you referring to?

They said, when they release the SDK, a third party can develop apps for it, probably to work with the DJI Pilot app, the capabilities for waypoints and follow me are there, just need the software...

I ordered 2 of the Advanced versions, cameras are the same, so why pay $260 more for 4k when I have a 1080p Samsung that has better picture than most 4k TVs? Also most likely someone will hack the Advanced version to unlock 4k or DJI will just unlock it themselves, just like when they came out with Naza V2, they essentially updated the software for Naza V1 eventually to make it a V2...

Yes at normal viewing distance 4k is no better than 1080p. That's why I opted for the Advanced as well.

4k is still a gimmick that's 2 years away from being practical but to say it's no better than 1080p is mind boggling

Reactions: Jacob
I'm saying in real life there's no difference. If I want my face 1 inch from my 75" Samsung, then maybe so.

What regulations are you referring to?

I'm referring to the big picture, not a specific regulation. Each country has their own refulations around drones.
My bet is if DJI releases a quad with no autonomous flight, it may help them bypass a given regulation.
I'm not sure return home would be considered autonomous. ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna