DJI Phantom 3 crash, but why?

To clarify: DJI's position on re-calibrating was reaffirmed in their last email to me.
"Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location. The compass is very sensitive to electromagnetic interference, which can cause abnormal compass data leading to poor flight performance or even flight failure.
Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside massive metal objects. "

This is the word from the Manufacturer. Any Questions? !!!!!!!
Yes. How far should I be from the tx/phone and keys when calibrating?

Also, when I turn the noise down for the second cal part, the final always makes noises and tries to move, is this a concern?

Yes. How far should I be from the tx/phone and keys when calibrating?

Also, when I turn the noise down for the second cal part, the final always makes noises and tries to move, is this a concern?

3-5 meters is sufficient from tx/keys/phone

If I understand your second part, you are saying that when you turn the NOSE down for the second part of the calibration, your GIMBAL makes some sounds and moves around. I don't recall hearing sounds ever, but when I put the phantom back down, the gimbal does move around to level itself.

Nose sorry. Yes when I point it down to rotate. The gimbal is fighting the movement (calibration is done when the quad is linked and ready). So it makes it's adjustment movement and noises

Nose sorry. Yes when I point it down to rotate. The gimbal is fighting the movement (calibration is done when the quad is linked and ready). So it makes it's adjustment movement and noises

Yes normal.

To clarify: DJI's position on re-calibrating was reaffirmed in their last email to me.
"Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location. The compass is very sensitive to electromagnetic interference, which can cause abnormal compass data leading to poor flight performance or even flight failure.
Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside massive metal objects. "

This is the word from the Manufacturer. Any Questions? !!!!!!!

They have simply stated what is in the hand book to you, which they have to. How ever the reality is different. As for questions asked to DJI about certain things you can not always be sure you will get a good answer back from them, some times the person answering might know less than half of us on here about the P3. I must have sent 8 or 9 emails months back asking them about some in depth questions relating FCC/CE settings of the craft, even asking my email to be sent to someone higher in tech, i got the same answer back from them every single time. Tahoe Ed and blade strike ( Dji's forum techs and main support test pilot) assured me that every single email i had got back from DJI was wrong.

And here we go again.

Combination Stick Command.

image.jpg

Will someone please translate "CSC?" I have read it in several threads today.

It means "Combination Stick Command".

This refers to the combination of stick commands that can make a P3 turn off in flight. From the information I've seen in multiple Youtube videos, holding the left stick full down for more than 3 seconds will not turn off the motors in flight like it does when the Phantom is on the ground. However, when both sticks are moved to the motor start position while in flight, IIRC it is Left stick full down and right, Right stick full down and left, the motors will turn off in flight.

Some have speculated the latter CSC is what has caused a number of P3's to fall from the sky with props not spinning.

They have simply stated what is in the hand book to you, which they have to. How ever the reality is different. As for questions asked to DJI about certain things you can not always be sure you will get a good answer back from them, some times the person answering might know less than half of us on here about the P3. I must have sent 8 or 9 emails months back asking them about some in depth questions relating FCC/CE settings of the craft, even asking my email to be sent to someone higher in tech, i got the same answer back from them every single time. Tahoe Ed and blade strike ( Dji's forum techs and main support test pilot) assured me that every single email i had got back from DJI was wrong.

Are you serious???????? DJI has reiterated to you in no uncertain terms that you are to calibrate the compass at each new location. Fail to do so at your own peril. I've been flying for over a year and have flown P2Vs, P2V+ v 3.0s and P3s and have never had a significant incident. If you follow their documentable suggestions and have a log of your actions, you will increase the likelihood of DJI making good on their warranty. If you don't, good luck to you.

Are you serious???????? DJI has reiterated to you in no uncertain terms that you are to calibrate the compass at each new location. Fail to do so at your own peril. I've been flying for over a year and have flown P2Vs, P2V+ v 3.0s and P3s and have never had a significant incident. If you follow their documentable suggestions and have a log of your actions, you will increase the likelihood of DJI making good on their warranty. If you don't, good luck to you.

Yes i am very serious.

Long thread, but I will add this. The P3 compass is much more sensitive than the P2. I have to launch from grass instead of my driveway.

In one of my rare landings (I hand catch, but last night, no wind), as soon as I touched down on the driveway I got a compass error in the app.

New location is many, many miles away. Look at a map of the magnetic field.

I calibrate the compass every flight with a new battery. Some might say its redundant, I say better safe than sorry

Long thread, but I will add this. The P3 compass is much more sensitive than the P2. I have to launch from grass instead of my driveway.

In one of my rare landings (I hand catch, but last night, no wind), as soon as I touched down on the driveway I got a compass error in the app.
Okay, thats interesting. I made now in total 20 flights and 19 of them I launced from grass. All those 19 went good! Only that one time I did it from the concrete bench (and I did not calibrate it). So, do you think thats the problem? I do.

So from wich position do you launch the DJI Phantom 3 (this is for all pilots), always from grass, or (also) from concrete?

Thanks.

(P.S. I asked my first question to the DJI support, they said go to your dealer and he will send us the flightlog. I Send an email to the dealer about this issue, he said: 'Be sure to calibrate the drone every time, especially on new locations. If you don't he can have his own free will'. Thus, I made already five new flights all from grass including calibration and al those flights were perfect:D Beautiful footage with the advanced. In short, be sure to calibrate your drone every flight 'pilots', because I wish no one the same I had. You can do so many other things with +- 1300 dollars!).

Yes i agree its very sensitive, to sensitive i think and i have talked about this in another thread, the inspire and the P3 share the same safety feature that if the compass gets any bad data it flicks the craft into P atti in order to prevent flyaways. At our flying club if i get with in 15 mtrs of the metal club house it errors, another member this weekend with a P3 confirmed if he went any where near the middle of the run way (grass) where the club house is he gets the error all so. We do have a member with an inspire who is going to try taking of near the club house to see if the inspire errors the same and is as sensitive which will be interesting.

New location is many, many miles away. Look at a map of the magnetic field.
Agreed and the old concept was that unless you changed the flight location by a couple of hundred miles, compass calibration was optional. Also, through the years, the conventional wisdom was that unless you changed location by at least a couple of hundred miles, you were introducing a possible error each time you calibrated. Now, however, it appears that DJI, in addition to including the direction to calibrate the compass in EVERY new location in the flight manual, it is now reiterating that direction in correspondence to its customers.
So, all I am saying is that if DJI is now taking the extreme position that the compass be calibrated in every new location, shouldn't we presume that it will be using that information when deciding whether to honor warranties on crash cases?

Agreed and the old concept was that unless you changed the flight location by a couple of hundred miles, compass calibration was optional. Also, through the years, the conventional wisdom was that unless you changed location by at least a couple of hundred miles, you were introducing a possible error each time you calibrated. Now, however, it appears that DJI, in addition to including the direction to calibrate the compass in EVERY new location in the flight manual, it is now reiterating that direction in correspondence to its customers.
So, all I am saying is that if DJI is now taking the extreme position that the compass be calibrated in every new location, shouldn't we presume that it will be using that information when deciding whether to honor warranties on crash cases?

That's a good point. But then again, what is a new location? Across the street, the park 2 miles away, going up the coast 90+ miles? For me I would only do it for the latter.

That's a good point. But then again, what is a new location? Across the street, the park 2 miles away, going up the coast 90+ miles? For me I would only do it for the latter.
Technical is an other location already when you launch it a few feet from his last start position (in my opinion), otherwise they wouldn't advise it.

I didn't do that my first flights because I didn't receive the manual. Al those flights went good. Also when I moved 1 mile to the park. My crash-flight was after that when it was only 300 meter away from the first flights. To be sure, I calibrate it now everytime...

In het Nederlands

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik