DJI Phantom 3 crash, but why?

I think it is safe to assume the OP has no previous experience and did not RTFM. Hammering him in a foreign language really isn't going to help.

How quickly we forget where we were when we started out.
Man I smashed my first phantom within 30 seconds of its first flight. If can can do it and admit to it you all need to lighten the feck up

Reactions: Louis_Eng
Man I smashed my first phantom within 30 seconds of its first flight. If can can do it and admit to it you all need to lighten the feck up
Hey, so I can see my Flight Record in the Pilot app and also the last flight. But what do you need to know to solve the problem?

You would need to be hooked to your computer to get those axis readings, am I right?

IF, for some reason, your compass is ALWAYS off before you fly, then you've got an issue well outside of normal and need to return your Quad for service. Compass readings being off so much as to require a recalibration prior to EVERY flight is a hardware issue or, you're failing to properly locate the Quad during calibration. OR, you've gone a few hundred miles between locations.

Please, inform yourself before replying. I'm quite well informed these days. Not trying to be confrontational at all. Just trying to reduce the "perceived" steps needed to have a successful flight.
So I'm at a place 30 miles from where I flew this morning. Do I need to recall?

What kind of variations if any should I expect if I'm further away from where I calibrated last?

Okay, so I saw the flight information and the warning sign was: ''Ultrasonic systems error, please land as soon as possible''. Anyone familiar with this warning message?

Sorry but what kind of information do you need? I just have this machine one day!

You said you changed locations, how far did you move? What was the surface you took off from when it went crazy? Metal?

You said you changed locations, how far did you move? What was the surface you took off from when it went crazy? Metal?
Approximately 300-400 meters (1000 feet) from the last startposition. It was from a concrete bench only 60 cm (+- 22 inch). Metal? Well, only a lamppost.

Okay, so I saw the flight information and the warning sign was: ''Ultrasonic systems error, please land as soon as possible''. Anyone familiar with this warning message?
It has been encountered by a few people....not myself though. Assuming you were outside, you either never had enough satellites to take off of you did but they got lost soon after lift off and that it switched or tried to switch to VPS guidance which was having an error.

Approximately 300-400 meters (1000 feet) from the last startposition. It was from a concrete bench only 60 cm (+- 22 inch). Metal? Well, only a lamppost.

That distance is not a problem. Concrete has steel in it some times, that can be an issue.

Was the phantom off when you moved? I had a friend move his 1/2 mile and fly without shutting it down. It went into RTH and flew back to where the home point was 1/2 mile away. It was not a P3.

Was it a fully charged battery?

So I'm at a place 30 miles from where I flew this morning. Do I need to recall?

What kind of variations if any should I expect if I'm further away from where I calibrated last?

The acknowledged minimum is over 300 miles or, if environmental conditions exist that would require a nearly constant calibration.

Here in Florida, I've gone from a little outside of Panama City Beach to Tuscaloosa, AL, 260 miles, and had my P2V+ V3 hover there just as well as it does in my back yard. X, Y and Z axis all under 300 while Mod Axis right int he middle.

The soil differences are pretty significant. Here in my backyard, it's all non-mineralized sand. In Tuscaloosa, it's all red clay and deep Earth dirt with light to moderate ground mineralization.

The issue being, if your aircraft isn't giving you indications of being out of compass calibration, and your computer isn't giving out of bounds readings for the various axis, then you're wasting time doing the calibration. Some even say that doing so at each flight point is to risk calibrating over a magnetically confusing ground point. My aviation career would tend to agree with that assessment.

Do what you feel is right for you. Having said that, don't be surprised if you have a drone flyaway. Intense underground magnetic forces, such as from buried utilities, can interfere with a good calibration. If not connected to a computer to view the X, Y and Z compass readings as being below 300, you risk your own craft and money. The overall Mod axis is something to be considered as well.

I take a laptop with me almost every time I fly. I've had situations where people have called the cops on me thinking I've been "spying" on them. It's a simple thing to correct their way of "thinking" when they see the MicroSD card pulled right from the craft and inserted into a computer. That same computer allows for an instant, on-the-spot compass check that will tell you if your axis's are off. 268 miles North of my position with a significant change on ground composition showed me that nothing was needed for compass calibration.

But then, I'm a rather detail oriented person and would MUCH rather spend an extra 30 minutes in preparation than another DAY of flight time. My money is precious. So is my time.

Reactions: Akrosfer
That distance is not a problem. Concrete has steel in it some times, that can be an issue.

Was the phantom off when you moved? I had a friend move his 1/2 mile and fly without shutting it down. It went into RTH and flew back to where the home point was 1/2 mile away. It was not a P3.

Was it a fully charged battery?
Thats true with the conrete bench;) But do you think that would provoke the crash? And the warning sign ''ultrasonic systems error''? Yes, the phantom was off and the battery 100%.

Thats true with the conrete bench;) But do you think that would provoke the crash? And the warning sign ''ultrasonic systems error''? Yes, the phantom was off and the battery 100%.

A wacked out compass can cause strange things. I thought the VPS was for low level flying and didn't think it would switch to that if it lost GPS. I don't know what that error means. See if you can upload your files.

A wacked out compass can cause strange things. I thought the VPS was for low level flying and didn't think it would switch to that if it lost GPS. I don't know what that error means. See if you can upload your files.
I'm trying, but the synchronizing stops at 30%...?

I believe it can operate up to 15-20 feet...as that dji video flying in the church in vps mode demonstrated as it flew well abovethe audience.

I believe it can operate up to 15-20 feet...as that dji video flying in the church in vps mode demonstrated as it flew well abovethe audience.

I remember that. Thought it would change to ATTI if it lost GPS.

People are so quick to jump on this guy. He said he had it ONE day, he did not have a manual, only the QSG. So I will bet you anything he didn't do a compass or IMU calibration.
Hey, I did the calibration. But only the first flight...

So many beginner pilots "let" they're birds simply fly away at will. You guys are relying WAY to much on gps. A lot of people get hesitant and just let go of the sticks thinking it will just hover. Well if compass is out of whack it will drift. I've lost gps a few times but I always keep on the sticks and counter if it starts to drift.

My theory is a new pilot should learn to fly on atti BEFORE relying on gps. And once you start focusing on recording and taking shots, it becomes second nature to flip over to atti or simply run the sticks if your Phantom loses gps or compass.

Concrete is often reinforced with steel (rebar). The magnetic properties of the launch site being different than the calibration values can and will cause compass errors.

Using your case or backpack as a launch pad is a simple and effective precaution.

To clarify: DJI's position on re-calibrating was reaffirmed in their last email to me.
"Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location. The compass is very sensitive to electromagnetic interference, which can cause abnormal compass data leading to poor flight performance or even flight failure.
Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside massive metal objects. "

This is the word from the Manufacturer. Any Questions? !!!!!!!

Reactions: louforgiveno
Concrete bench has metal in it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4