DJI Phantom 2 Vision - Control Loss At 100 Yards

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom Vision today for the first flight and all was going well … That is until all of a sudden for no reason, I lose control (Warning On Screen) and my Vision flew back home. I didn't think to look at my WIFI and see if it disconnected. All my batteries were fully charged and I only flew 6 minutes and no more than 100 Yards. Has anyone heard of this happening? I know it was coming home, rather slowly, but just the feeling of not having control on my $1,200.00 quad was nerve racking. especially after reading all the Fly Away stories and guys never recovering their quads.

CE or FCC mode? If you don't know what that is search for it on this forum. Put it in FCC mode to get more range.

Anything between you and your Phantom?
The vision uses 5.8ghz frequency, which is pretty much line-of-sight. Even a patch of leaves\trees would block your signal.

Also: point your antenna to the sky. Your transmitter's antenna has to be parallel with your Phantom's feet (where the receiver's antennas are installed)... because these antennas are configured in 'vertical polarisation'.

Lastly, have you opened up the transmitter for firmware upgrade?
Did you notice any change in range before and after the disassembly? It could also be the reason.

Last weekend I had a similar experience.

I flew the P2V for about 5 minutes not more than 50 yards away and was bringing it back to land. The P2V was almost directly overhead in GPS mode, maybe 40 feet up, when it stopped responding to the controls and just kept on going past me even in "sticks-up" mode. Nothing on the iPhone screen to indicate a problem. I quickly shut off the controller, watched for a few seconds as the iPhone read "Return to home", then turned it on, flipped to Manual control and brought it back and down for a landing. First time that happened. Glad I watched all those Colin Gwinn videos so I knew how to react. (Colin, we miss you!).

No audible change in power to indicate a battery problem, current firmware upgrade. I was out in the "boonies" (let's say "public park") so that pretty much rules out RF interference. Quick panic and then relief, but certainly unnerving to say the least. Total mystery to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.