DJI phantom 2 issues. need help!

Reaction score
Hey all! I need some help with my dji. I recently was gifted two dji phantom 2's. one working, one not working to use for parts. I put the battery in and the unit paired and I did the whole joystick thing to pair it and then the rotors started spinning in idle mode. However, we notices one of the motors was acting up and not working, then a lovely burst of smoke popped out and so i turned it off. I opened the drone up and replaced the motor totally with my father in law and we soldered it on. i was then able to try and pair it again and then it was fine. However, after about an hour, I took it home from my grandmothers house, and then, when i got home, tried to use it again but thats where the problem started. I can turn it on. I get one set of beeps and the flashing colors. I then get fast flashing yellow lights. I attempt to pair it. But it doesn't work. I followed all videos. Nothing. I plugged it in and updated all the firmware. Nothing. I can turn it on but it just won't pair to my RC. however, the odd thing is that i can barely, just barely, control the gimbal. Its really weird. I wouldn't mind uploading a video and posting the link.

Sounds like your ESC went out. A lot of times these will go before the motor. Did you notice any burnt places on the ESC board when you when you replaced the motor? They could be on the underside and you didn't see them. You can find these on Ebay for about $20. Just make sure you get the right one, that fits your Phantom 2v+. If the ESCs and the motor are not paired correctly then they won't work. Good luck.

Hey david. So with what you're saying, can one ESC cause the whole phantom to have pairing issues or for the whole thing to not work? thanks!

I don't completely accept that a failed ESC proper can cause a pairing/binding issue. This is not to say that it didn't/couldn't propagate into other areas of the main PCB however it seems from the description that the system otherwise powers up.

There's two connections of the ESC to the main PCB- Power and PWM.

1) DC power (soldered connection)- If there is a short at the power supply to the ESC then you'd have an over-current situation and the battery would shut-down and power-up would not occur.
2) If there is a short or open on the PWM signal I can't see how this is apparent to the Rx. Easy enough to unplug the PWM connector and isolate it completely. Then try to re-bind/pair Tx-Rx.

Admittedly I have not tried this procedure but it is worth a try.

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. If you Google it you'll get a good explanation and save me some typing (I'm lazy).

It is the digital communication method used, in this case, to tell the ESC how fast to spin the motor(s) and the colors and flash pattern of the under-arm LEDs.

Last edited:
i went ahead and searched it a little while ago. but i don't understand what i can do to fix it if thats the issue.

First you need to determine IF the ESC is causing the bind/pairing issue.

By unplugging the connector you remove it's influence. It's part of the divide-and-conquer technique of troubleshooting.

when i unplug the esc i just get an incessant beeping noise for that esc. same with all of them... thanks for your help by the way.

OK, remember I have not done this personally. It's been a long time since I poked around in a P2.

thats fine any help works. so what would you recommend now then? I unplug the escs, but all i get is a beeping noise. nothing else occurs.

Yea DJI is obviously sensing that they are disconnected.

You have to try and swap the parts you have from the donor unit.

Can you try to swap the receivers?

I believe so.. The wires go down two of the landing gear legs.

It can't hurt as others can then participate too. I'm going to have to sign-off in a few min. for tonite.

It can't hurt as others can then participate too. I'm going to have to sign-off in a few min. for tonite.
last question for the night. I have another main board from the "parts phantom." however, the compass input area broke off. if i tried to run off of the board without the compass plugged in, will I encounter the same issue or can it run without the compass input?

I wish I could tell you for sure. But I can’t. I have not done that level of experimentation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl