DJI phantom 2 clockwise motors will not idle at full speed

Reaction score
a couple things, I had prop guards on and removed them, I also crashed the drone on the same day, after removing everything I noticed that on one of the motors that a longer bolt had got into the windings, I replaced said motor and still having the same issues as day one, the clockwise motors will not get up to idle speed, also they will not accelerate.

see vid

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a couple things, I had prop guards on and removed them, I also crashed the drone on the same day, after removing everything I noticed that on one of the motors that a longer bolt had got into the windings, I replaced said motor and still having the same issues as day one, the clockwise motors will not get up to idle speed, also they will not accelerate.

see vid

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When you removed the prop guards you used the same allen screws which are to long and you should replace with shorter ones. If you live in the states send me your address in a PM and send you replacements if you do not have the correct ones. I have plenty of those screws which have been used. Hopefully you haven't damaged those motors as replacements cost $18.00 usd each.

Last edited:
When you removed the prop guards you used the same allen screws which are to long and you should replace with shorter ones. If you live in the states send me your address in a PM and send you replacements if you do not have the correct ones. I have plenty of those screws which have been used. Hopefully you haven't damaged those motors as replacements cost $18.00 usd each.
Yes....I did damage one of the motors with the longer screws......I replaced the motor and put in the shorter screws but still have the same issue with only BOTH clockwise motors having issues.....I am inclined to look deeper into wolf's suggestion of a bad ESC

Is there a way to check or run a diagnostic?

There's no way to diagnose what's wrong. Just removing the prop guards had nothing to do with what is happening unless you are not telling every thing.
Is this a used P2 or did you crash it?

Is there a way to check or run a diagnostic?

I do have one question though. I noticed in your video that the ccw motor is a 2312 which are the motors used in the P2 v2 version. Were those the original motors that came with the P2? Reason for asking is if you have the original P2 v1 those motors were 2212 and cannot be mixed with 2312. Also the original P2 v1 used v2.0 ESC boards and the P2 v2 used v2.1 ESC boards with 2312 motors. So the bottom line you cannot mix motors and if use all four 2312 you'll also need to replace all four v2.1 ESC boards..

I do have one question though. I noticed in your video that the ccw motor is a 2312 which are the motors used in the P2 v2 version. Were those the original motors that came with the P2? Reason for asking is if you have the original P2 v1 those motors were 2212 and cannot be mixed with 2312. Also the original P2 v1 used v2.0 ESC boards and the P2 v2 used v2.1 ESC boards with 2312 motors. So the bottom line you cannot mix motors and if use all four 2312 you'll also need to replace all four v2.1 ESC boards..

I have had the drone for a while and made multiple flights with it, I had the prop guards on it then removed them and I think I used the longer srews when reassembling it, took it out and was fying it around, it crashed maybe 8 feet above the ground then started flying funny, I brought it in the hose and noticed it acting like the video above, I tore it down and noticed a bolt in one of the motor windings, I replaced the motor now that I look it is a 2312 motor. Its still acting the exact same way regardless if it's the wrong motor or not. Next step.....I will order the correct motor and see what happens,

Also, I never touched the other CW motor, why would it be acting up as well, the ccw motors work fine. Also I don't think 2212 is the correct motor because those come with a nut on the motor where as My motors have the self tightening props. IF it helps my drones model # is P330Z

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the replaced 2312 motor and it looks like my esc boards are the v2.1....so my drone is the P2 v2 so that is the correct motor for this drone, so should I replace the ESC boards? is it common that both fail at the same time?

Attachments

• 20170511_083615_HDR.jpg
    20170511_083615_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 508
Here is a pic of the replaced 2312 motor and it looks like my esc boards are the v2.1....so my drone is the P2 v2 so that is the correct motor for this drone, so should I replace the ESC boards? is it common that both fail at the same time?

You still haven't answered why you had to change the motor in the first place. You are the one asking for help but without answers, as to why how can anyone give the help you need.

The motors for the earlier P2 were 2212 and used self-tightening props.

You still haven't answered why you had to change the motor in the first place. You are the one asking for help but without answers, as to why how can anyone give the help you need.

The motors for the earlier P2 were 2212 and used self-tightening props.
If you re-read post 8 I stated that after I took the prop guards off and flew it then it crashed I thought I had put in the longer prop bolts back in it....which went into the windings...I thought I had runied THAT motor so I bought a new one thinking that would solve the issue.

If you re-read post 8 I stated that after I took the prop guards off and flew it then it crashed I thought I had put in the longer prop bolts back in it....which went into the windings...I thought I had runied THAT motor so I bought a new one thinking that would solve the issue.

More than likely you did damage both ccw ESC modules. B&H has them in stock.

DJI ESC v2.1 for Phantom 2 (Part 7) CP.PT.000053R B&H Photo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.