DJI "NO FLY" is a SAFETY HAZARD!

Reaction score
I went back to within 1 mile from an airport today with no props on to test with my P4P+ UNLOCK had been approved in June.

I was inside and just outside the No-Fly 1 mile from the center of the airport (uncontrolled)

It would not start. But it asked me to confirm the UNLOCK. I did and it still said NO-FLY.

After several attempts I was able to start and I literally walked the machine closer and took it inside the boundary of the NO-FLY Zone. (engines running with no props on for safety . . The Phantom4Pro+ v01.04.0602 and DJIGO4 firmware (v 4.1.0) TOOK OVER CONTROL . . .and landed and shut down. I was unable to override it and then it said "No start - you are inside NoFly Zone". I again pressed the 2 check marks to acknowledge I was approved so I could start the engines and it said CONFIRMED - UNLOCKed . . but then would still not start.

It is bad enough I cannot have reliable unlocking when approved but this AUTOLAND function creates a DANGEROUS condition where either I can lose the machine in water/swamp land or hurt someone or damage property when IT decides where to land. This is unacceptable! . . from a safety perspective . . . and much more dangerous than me operating around an UNCONTROLLED airport with approvals from everyone and monitoring flight frequencies.

Couple of days ago it did the same thing 800ft away from me over a swamp . . . by pure accident it AUTOLANDED on a narrow 6ft wide pathway and not in the swamp or on someone's head. How does dji or any company get off taking over control or my machine that can result in total loss of the aircraft or a major safety incident.

Last edited:
The autoland is SO SO stupid and dangerous I can't understand who in their fuzzy heads decided to do this. A simple RTH would be a simple way to get the craft out of the area, and once out let you regain control.

Reactions: David Cooke
The autoland is SO SO stupid and dangerous I can't understand who in their fuzzy heads decided to do this. A simple RTH would be a simple way to get the craft out of the area, and once out let you regain control.

Simply notify the pilot, and stop forward movement further into the zone. Let the pilot be a pilot and back out safely.

We want drone pilots to act safely like airplane pilots yet we take control from when they need it most? Stupid

I predict one day auto landing will cause an accident and the pilot will get in trouble (sued or worse) and his smart lawyer will put the blame where it belongs, at the time of the accident: DJIs software.

Prior to the actual accident the pilot was in charge of a safe craft.
Then DJI took over and IT caused the accident, the pilot was out of the loop at this point, unable to do anything but watch.

Reactions: Nestmac
Simply notify the pilot, and stop forward movement further into the zone. Let the pilot be a pilot and back out safely

I flew a few weeks ago at a local school. I couldn't start the motors due to the NFZ. I noticed the NFZ was only on half of the field, I then tried on the other half with no problems. Once in the air, I tested the system. I flew full speed directly to the NFZ, when the drone got there it stopped in mid air as if it had flown into an invisible barrier. I could move away and along the NFZ but could not penetrate it. I just flew back and carried on flying in the area just outside the NFZ. Not once did it force a landing or anything else that took control out of my hands.

I flew a few weeks ago at a local school. I couldn't start the motors due to the NFZ. I noticed the NFZ was only on half of the field, I then tried on the other half with no problems. Once in the air, I tested the system. I flew full speed directly to the NFZ, when the drone got there it stopped in mid air as if it had flown into an invisible barrier. I could move away and along the NFZ but could not penetrate it. I just flew back and carried on flying in the area just outside the NFZ. Not once did it force a landing or anything else that took control out of my hands.
Which firmware are you running?

The latest one as far as I know. Not sure of the version, but can check it when I'm home.
Thanks, it would be nice to know exactly what changes dji are doing in the updates, stopping the auto land in recent firmware is good but does different NFZ zones change the way the craft reacts? dji is not one to be very detailed on what the updates are doing.

DJI should CLEARLY NOT be able to command your machine in Domestic Airspace. They in fact have ZERO authorization to fly. Transport Canada should be all over this violation of sovereignty. The machine is not authorized to fly . . you are. . . so when firmware is activated ( without your approval) within a Canadian UAV that was placed there by a foreign company's desire to "fly-safe" they are the ones responsible for the trajectory of the craft. This is very messy legally and Transport Canada needs to assert it's authority and STOP THEM FROM incorporating such code.

In reality it's as simple as flipping a piece of code that causes AUTOLAND to run without your control or request. . In fact they should be required to modify their firmware to make a fail safe method of allowing the operator to initiate AUTOLAND whenever they want but not allow their NO-FLY software to intervene

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.