DJI: New P3A Purchaser AFRAID to Fly!

Hi and welcome aboard the phantom train and get set for the most amazing easy to fly platform.And no you wont see many posts in forums like these titled"Yeh had a great flight today"you will see tons of posts of amazing videos peeps have put together of there flights.To avoid being the less the 1% of my bird fell out of the sky club there are some basic things that you can do to mitigate the main reasons for these.

1 Phantom:Make sure you check it over before and after every flight and of course before flying make sure the gimble clamp has been removed and the tiny piece of foam has been removed from rear of the gimble.

2 Battery:Always charge to 100% don't take off unless you have a full charge and set the goapp to discharge after two days and only charge it up either the night before or the day you plan on going flying.Lipo's as Im sure you no don't like laying around fully charged up for weeks on end.
Upon inserting battery double check it is clicked in correctly as that will ensure it will never pop out during flight

3Propellers:Grab a black texta and place a dot on the birds arms near the black doted motors to ensure and make it easy to see that you are always placing the correct props on the right motors.
Spin them on by finger and finger tighten them they should spin on easy and never need forcing observe the arrows on the birds arms to undo them and never use the tool they give you to tighten them only and only use it if they are tight to get off.

4 R/C / GOAPP :Be familiar with the controls don't perform a csc after landing to shut the bird off as it will flip your bird, just hold power down for three secs and it will kill the motors and no if you hold power down while in the air it will not shut off the motors.Set you return to home correctly have it set to return to home at a safe height to your surrounding environment.And try out the return to home button...you need to hold it down for a few seconds not just press it that way if you ever lose site of it ect you will be confident you no how to use this function.
Enable multiple flight mode as if your bird goes haywire due to a bad compass cal ect it will auto flip into ati mode and you can fly it like your r/c heli without it flying off into the nether.Fly with beginner mode enabled first few flight in an open field without any trees or obstacles and you will have a worry free flight.
Oh and the number 1 mistake made by all phantom flyers is forgetting to press the **** record button.

Anywho just some basic stuff hope it helps

Overconfidence is the killer. Just go slow, read that manual, and relax.... have fun, that's what they are for.

No issues at all. Running smooth and haven't had a problem with over 300 flights. Take note, the majority of problems will stem from pilot error. Read the manual fully many times, practice in the sim, and use checklists.

Hello, I am a brand-newbie too! Got my P3A just today. If its any consolation... I watched all the tutorial videos on the DJI website and followed instructions. Then I went to a softball field with my 8 yr old daughter, 6 yr old nephew and 3 yr old nephew and EACH of us flew it until the battery was tapped. I did hold the transmitter with the kiddos so I could grab the sticks if they jerked them too hard; but they all did pretty good!

Granted I was in Beginner mode. But it really is a breeze to fly!

I'm a new user, on the 7 th flight. My few FYI:
1) make a shoebox sunshade, or at least be prepared to not see the Go application.
2) Easier to fly using the Go application as it's first person view, but things are deceptively closer than you think.
3) Know that even though you may get info disclosed in feet you may have to enter limits in meters.

My tips:

1) open field, limit your obstacles.
2) First time taking off, lift off cleanly to at least 5-10 meters altitude. Try not to panic when it lifts off and bring it back down.
3) once at height, slowly experiment with each stick. Left, right, back, forward. Then try combinations of the sticks.
4) Then introduce altitude control. Go up and down a bit.
Note: do all this whilst looking at the aircraft. Keep your eyes off the monitor except to check battery status. Learn to fly visually and get used to different orientations where the controls will be reversed. ie: when the craft is facing you, left on the control will make the craft move to your right etc.

Some people may not agree with this, but if you get overwhelmed and feel like it's getting away from you, let go of the sticks. The phantom will come to a stop on its own and hover in place. This is why having a bit of altitude under your belt is handy.

When landing the first time, bring her down low (head height maybe) and rotate the craft so as the camera is facing away from you. This way, stick left = aircraft goes to your left and so on. Gradually lower her down and remember, if you get overwhelmed, let go of the sticks. Compose yourself and try again.

Genuinely, I'd like to say thank you to all for your advice. It's nice to see so much positive feedback and endorsements. Everything from the big picture to the details is greatly appreciated. I definitely will start slow, read the manual, utilize training modes and find a giant open field. Most importantly, I'll be flying with a higher degree of confidence. Thank you for that!

Who said there's an entire community of worried scaredy-cat flyers? I can say that before I flew I was apprehensive, but read the manual twice and just fly in and P mode and you should be just fine.

Admittedly, I am just expecting my P3A to arrive any day but darned if I'm not afraid to even put the bird in the air after everything I'm reading in this blog.

First, there seems to be a plethora of contributors, new or seasoned flyers, that are experiencing cracks in their plastic around the screws. For the most part, I'm not concerned about that. It seems the problem is recognized and DJI is being accountable. The downside is simply the hassle of RMA and time lost. It is what it is.

Second, regarding firmware and updates and P3's dropping out of the air. Holy mackerel DJI!! I've read a lot of these posts by diehard, loyal and often seasoned pilots that are losing control of their P3's lately. For me, a new pilot, it seems like the incidence is way too big to ignore and frankly, has me scared to even fly my new bird until I feel others from the community feel as though things are fixed. That's just terrible to feel that way so I hope you're on top of this DJI bc if I'm feeling this way and writing about it then there's 10 more enthusiasts out there that feel the same way and are sitting on the proverbial fence!!!

Thank you, to this Phantom Pilot community, for posting all of the relevant personal experiences, good, bad and indifferent. The material is very important and I appreciate all of the details!

DJI...you just shouldn't have a community of pilots worried about flying their quads. It's bad for business. So hopefully you're all wrestling with the problems so that we can all return to being confident our P3's will fly above the earth and return to terra firma safely! Thank you!!!

As a new phantom pilot myself I understand why you would be afraid to fly after reading some of the threads here but what you have to remember is that forums often represent a small percentage of consumers. Additionally, there are plenty of people who don't post for forums because they don't have any issues with their drone at all, or only post because they want to ask questions or share information. There will always be people who have issues and those people are often very vocal about them. Just because someone is having a problem with their drone doesn't mean you will have the same issue. Just make sure that you do your pre and post flight checks and fly in areas that are safe to fly in and that will reduce your risk of something bad happening considerably.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread...

Put your P3 in beginner mode, charge up your batteries, find a nice big open area with no obstacles around for a couple of hundred feet and go fly!

I fly with three other P3 pilots and none of us have had any issues with our birds "dropping out of the air", firmware updates, or app updates. Our P3's fly beautifully !

Go fly that thang !!!

:harry

The only issue that I've had was losing FPV connection with the drone due to a buggy version of the iOS app. It happened twice and both times I was able to get the drone back safely.

I prefer to hand catch. But I wait until your Comfortable with the sticks first before trying. Hand catching eliminates the possibility of tipping over or debris hitting the camera when landing. It's really very easy.

For every post of a problem, there's a thousand of uneventful but fun flights.
Very few post "I had a great flight today, took some amazing video, and I didn't crash or watch my drone fly-away."
A, cotton' pickin'men -
Admittedly, I am just expecting my P3A to arrive any day but darned if I'm not afraid to even put the bird in the air after everything I'm reading in this blog.

First, there seems to be a plethora of contributors, new or seasoned flyers, that are experiencing cracks in their plastic around the screws. For the most part, I'm not concerned about that. It seems the problem is recognized and DJI is being accountable. The downside is simply the hassle of RMA and time lost. It is what it is.

Second, regarding firmware and updates and P3's dropping out of the air. Holy mackerel DJI!! I've read a lot of these posts by diehard, loyal and often seasoned pilots that are losing control of their P3's lately. For me, a new pilot, it seems like the incidence is way too big to ignore and frankly, has me scared to even fly my new bird until I feel others from the community feel as though things are fixed. That's just terrible to feel that way so I hope you're on top of this DJI bc if I'm feeling this way and writing about it then there's 10 more enthusiasts out there that feel the same way and are sitting on the proverbial fence!!!

Thank you, to this Phantom Pilot community, for posting all of the relevant personal experiences, good, bad and indifferent. The material is very important and I appreciate all of the details!

DJI...you just shouldn't have a community of pilots worried about flying their quads. It's bad for business. So hopefully you're all wrestling with the problems so that we can all return to being confident our P3's will fly above the earth and return to terra firma safely! Thank you!!!
These little dumplins' work just fine - take it out the box, read the directions, watch the set up videos, watch the videos again, take your time, fire the puppy up - enjoy how much fun the Phantom is to fly

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Learn to fly forward and back, master that then forward, turn 180 and fly back, turn 180 and master that. Learn to fly circuits and master that. Fly circles and master that. Fly figure 8's and master that then you'll be well on the road to flying any quad or rc aircraft.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Bigjimknickers
Maybe find someone on the forum who lives close. I have taught a few folks in the East Bay CA at our flying club. There should be club near you as well. Otherwise, beginner mode, GPS, 30' away. Nice and easy. These things pretty much fly themselves. Slowly land and bring throttle to zero
Upon touchdown, move left stick to 4 o'clock position while bringing right stick to 7 o'clock. Props should stop and you are then d-armed. Might tip over the first time or so.

I was pretty terrified as well my first time. I did as the previous poster said. I went to a big open field, went up about 20 feet and stopped. Literally let the thing hover for like 5 minutes before I got the courage to touch the sticks. Then I just did some very basic maneuvers like forward, back, left right. I did this a few times then landed and called it a day. My hands were sweaty and my heart was racing. Next day same thing... But a couple more steps. Then just kept adding more and more. Read the posts but learn by doing.. If you stay safe and follow the basic steps for safe flight you will do fine..... We hope.... Hahaha
Yop good advice. I've been flying the bird now for 6 month almost every day and add just a great time, no flaws of any type. Since I got it, my filming experience shifted. I've been hired by a film company to cover all their aerial shots in many countries. Never thought that would happen to me! I have to administrate 3 P3Ps and make sure they're top shape. So I've been building my skills and confidence together as I get more experienced. I think that if you start slowly, evaluate your moves, plan ahead as much as you can, practice flying and try to feel your bird. You'll enjoy every minute of it. Good luck

My two cents, I was the same as you, did my research (almost bought a Solo) and chose DJI. I bought this for my business (a tool to use) and if that is your situation your going to have to just buy two one for backup only. If you are a hobbyist you will be ok. Try the simulator to get the feel of things than play in beginner mode for a few flights, get a safe to fly app and then find a big field (really) with no trees to worry about you will be fine. If you want to go up a notch take lessons from someone who knows (schools are popping up) online and hobby stores. Best of luck to you and if your on the East Coast NJ/NYC let's talk. I just found a place to learn and fly that is going to be great for the industry. Their building a 8 acre flight school with store. They are getting ready for registration and certification down the line (it's coming).
Nice to know your not so far. I'm north of Montreal, Qc, Ca . Lots of open spaces here. If you ever plan coming around here, gimme a shout.

Some good advice here, got my P2 on Wednesday, not used it yet but I've got experience from my quantum nova, still, the P2 is quite a jump in money!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl