DJI Mavic weight limits?

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm thinking of buying a new DJI drone and playing around, but i'm utterly terrified of scratching it, and thinking about making like a cloth sleeve for the body or the wings....so i figured you experts would know....

would adding X weight to the body and the wings completely mess with the flight capabilities of the drone? I know there are propeller guards, so i'm assuming SOME added weight to the drone will be okay, i just don't know how much is safe to add.

Appreciate any/all feedback

Hey guys, i'm thinking of buying a new DJI drone and playing around, but i'm utterly terrified of scratching it, and thinking about making like a cloth sleeve for the body or the wings....so i figured you experts would know....
would adding X weight to the body and the wings completely mess with the flight capabilities of the drone? I know there are propeller guards, so i'm assuming SOME added weight to the drone will be okay, i just don't know how much is safe to add.
Drones are not great at carrying weight and a small drone like the Mavic will be be affected more.
As long as you aren't crashing it, there's no need to worry about scratching it up.

thanks for the reply! does something like that already exist, that would add a bit of padding to the drone in case of drops? i found "skins" that help prevent scratches. I can't imagine whatever i make myself would add more than 10 ounces.....do you think even the smaller DJI drones could handle that much weight if it's dispersed across the drone?

thanks for the reply! does something like that already exist, that would add a bit of padding to the drone in case of drops? i found "skins" that help prevent scratches. I can't imagine whatever i make myself would add more than 10 ounces.....do you think even the smaller DJI drones could handle that much weight if it's dispersed across the drone?
Ten ounces is a huge weight and would have a big impact on battery life as well as performance.
The Mavic only weighs 26 ounces on its own so that would be 40% extra.
All the padding you could use and still fly won't protect the camera and gimbal if the drone falls to the ground.
But your fears are exaggerated. Drones don't fall from the sky very often and there's no need to lumber your drone with heavy armour to protect it from scratches.
It's flight safety will be a lot better without the weight handicap.
My P4 pro has had a hard life since December and still looks new.
Take a look at my photos. If falling from the sky was an issue, I wouldn't be able to confidently shoot what I do, where I do.

The potential impact of the roll your own protection solution may well degrade flight performance enough that a crash is significantly more likely- defeating the intent of applying it. Looking at flight time alone every gram of additional weight reduces flight time by 1.3 seconds on a phantom 3, a significantly heavier AC, the impact will be significantly greater on the Mavic.

i found "skins" that help prevent scratches
Skins would be your best bet for the Phantom body since they are light and replaceable (if it gets scratched). You shouldn't attach anything extra to the props though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT