DJI Innovations Phantom, How Many Defective?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3234
  • Start date
tech514 said:
Get real!
Many flyaway reports (like yours) are the result of user error; be it insufficient GPS lock with enough satellites to support RTH failsafe, taking off without a recorded home position, etc.
There are no guarantees and the loss of your Phantom cannot be blamed on DJI as there are too many human error aspects to this hobby.

See what I mean? His second post is a flame that blames you for pilot error, and doesn't allow any mud to fall on DJI. DJI is perfect, DHI's machines are perfect. It is all your fault... Blah, Blah, Blah.

He is either

1. A troll
2. Works for DJI or one of it's affiliates
3. Doesn't own a Phantom

He is definitely not a nice person.

Tech514 - go find another sandbox.

Would you say this stuff to his face? I'll be not.

D

My antenna was erect. I always point it in the direction of the craft.

Thank-you for reaching out to me!

May your batteries give you long flight time and may you have gentle breezes!

Ok, so now we know you were flying in the most likely spot to lose radio signal, and you have even said something, that tells an experienced user, you are a noobie still. Pointing the antenna in the direction of the craft is WRONG!

Now, will you please answer weather you were using the wifi on the gopro???

You say you were doing aerial still photos? How were you controlling the camera?

Now, will you please answer weather you were using the wifi on the gopro???

You say you were doing aerial still photos? How were you controlling the camera?

Could have been using time-lapse or simultaneous video and still, either without wi-fi

Killthe5pairs; What the hell are you talking about ? Your Phantom didn't fly away. I just watched the video you
posted on youtube, showing your last flight.
What did you do, disable the battery protection system ? Your flight lasted 10 minutes 30 seconds, before you hit
some sort of tower, or scaffolding, causing the Phantom to crash.

If you want sympathy, okay, I'm sorry you're not smarter than the product you were using.

The truth is, your actions could have gotten someone on the ground killed. Even if you didn't crash into that
structure, It would have fallen out of the sky in a few more seconds anyway.
How long were you thinking it would stay up there ?

I feel like such a chickens**t, cowardly, watching some of these videos. Nine minutes out and still no sign of trying to fly home. At nine minutes my timer is buzzing in my pocket and has been for a minute. The voltage alarm is screaming on the Phantom and I'm panicking 'cuz I'm the length of a football field away from "home".

I get so conflicted reading these Fly Away discussions. From my standpoint, one Fly Away and I'm done. I don't have the disposable income to continue a hobby that causes $1,000 to just fly away, but folks that have a second fly away, that must really hurt the pocketbook. If you need this quad to make a living, I'm sure you can justify this expense as the cost of doing business.

And expecting Colin Guinn to reimburse you or acknowledge a programming flaw, you need to read up on "sudden unintended acceleration". Although the automotive industry is considerably different, the amount of work and effort to get someone or some corporation to admit fault is enormous. A letter to Colin is not going to cut it. There are just so many variables: wind speed, sun spots and solar flares, wi-fi interference, loose props, bad batteries, owner modifications and additions, poor Chinese to English translations, even failure to do good pre-flight rituals even the simple one of doing the compass calibration every single time to fly and of course, bad programming in the main controller. All or any one of these and many others I'm sure can lead to a Fly Away. DJI has conducted testing that indicates under a given set of perfect conditions their product does not fail. So until that company decides otherwise, even if Colin is a "good ole boy" and might love to help you, Colin is probably doing what he is told to do by his employer and that is...promote the product.

If you love multirotors and are scared of your Phantom flying away, especially if you cannot afford to replace it, then there's a remedy... One that I'm exploring now:

Sell your phantom now and build/buy something with a real radio and different controller (no NAZA controllers). You could alternatively build/buy a better rig while using the phantom and then sell once you've put together your new rig.

I think I'm going to replace DJI's radio with a real radio for now, which I'm hoping reduces the chances of a fly away, and then build something better that will use my new radio.

While I'm here, I think there's a greater shock value to someone who has not been involved in RC flight before and they lose/crash their phantom. Those of us who've flown RC before learned long ago that there's always a risk of total loss even on the best day of flying. I already expect something bad happening, where someone new to RC may think multirotors are foolproof, and that's simply not the case.

While I'm here, I think there's a greater shock value to someone who has not been involved in RC flight before and they lose/crash their phantom. Those of us who've flown RC before learned long ago that there's always a risk of total loss even on the best day of flying. I already expect something bad happening, where someone new to RC may think multirotors are foolproof, and that's simply not the case.

This is very true, especially if they never experienced on of the old style radios, AM with a crystal. Those things would
glitch all the time, and suddenly take off in a different direction, and crash, with the slightest interference.

Back in 1999, I bought my son's each an HPI rs4 gas powered 4wd car for Christmas. We moved shortly after that,
and began using them at a housing project construction site. Everything was great, the cars all warmed up, and tuned,
reaching speeds of about 60mph.
Then we went to the next street over, and the houses here were just getting started with construction. The wires from
the street, were just sticking up out of the junction boxes.
My son sent his car down the middle of the street full speed, and it suddenly veered right, and hit the curb right where a
bundle of wires was coming out. It then cartwheeled down the street, with parts flying off, and when It finally came
to rest, it was obvious the car was destroyed .
But that wasn't the end..... There was a lot of crying.... Him, because he loved that car..... Me, because I had to buy another
one . ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers