DJI Goggles vs Epson Moverio BT-300?

Reaction score
Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV Smart Glasses

I may be getting ahead of things here but couldn't contain myself. I just came across the Moverio BT-300's yesterday and I must have them, so I ordered them (arriving on Friday). I had the DJI Goggles on pre-order with no firm date so I just cancelled that order and here's why.

#1 The FAA has to the best of my knowledge "outlawed" flying drones with immersive FPV goggles. The BT-300's should be "legal". I know this is a touchy subject but hear me out. I fly commercially so I would rarely use the DJI goggles other then maybe getting a pair to hand to the client(s) to wear while I fly. (that would be pretty cool). So I may go back to them once someone has them in stock.

#2 I fly most of my commercial missions in bright sunlight and 89% of the time I cannot see the screen (iPad pro 9.7). Most of the sun shades are just cumbersom. I had also pre-ordered the CrystalSky Ultra but cancelled that as well mainly because of the price. I want to see how these glasses perform. From the reviews I've see, bright sunlight is not an issue as the glasses come with shades.

I fly from a strictly cinematic standpoint. I'm there to capture the best footage I can. I worry that I won't see enough detail in the image to dial it in so I'm curious if anyone else out there has the BT-300's and uses them with footage quality as your priority. I would love to hear about your experience. I will definitely post some video of my experience this weekend.

thanks,
Dave

300Wx300H

Last edited:
Reactions: rcp11482
The FAA has to the best of my knowledge "outlawed" flying drones with immersive FPV goggles. The BT-300's should be "legal". I know this is a touchy subject but hear me out.
Once you pop in the dark shades, you won't be able to see your Phantom through the picture in the glasses. It's a neat idea, but I don't think it works well for that purpose.

Once you pop in the dark shades, you won't be able to see your Phantom through the picture in the glasses. It's a neat idea, but I don't think it works well for that purpose.
You have actually used them? I read you can adjust the brightness & contrast to your liking and that you can if need be just tilt your head and look above the glasses to maintain LOS. That's not any different then having to look down at your screen/monitor, right?

Reactions: Omega Flight
I own them.

While that's true, you cannot adjust the contrast of the shades. And you'll need the darkest shades when flying during the day.

I think you're going to have a tough time maintaning VLOS like that.
Interesting feedback. Thanks. I'm going to give them a try. The concept is definitely headed in the right direction in my opinion.

It's a great concept. They just didn't work out well for me for that purpose. Let me know what you think after you've used them outdoors.

FYI, DJI recently posted these related videos:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: TMBAerial
It's a great concept. They just didn't work out well for me for that purpose. Let me know what you think after you've used them outdoors.

FYI, DJI recently posted these related videos:

Whoa the "Tap to Mute" feature is on point. Msinger, do you have the Rochester polorized shades? I'm wondering if those are better then the dark shades that ship with the BT-300 now.

do you have the Rochester polorized shades?
Yes. Your glasses should come with those shades too if you bought the FPV Drone Edition. They are the darkest shades and I found I had to use them in order to see the screen clearly outside. VLOS is out the window the moment you put them on the glasses.

Do you want VLOS or to be able to see the screen clearly? Pick one. You will not be able to have both.

Being that I've both read and watched varying opinions on this product, most folks say that they have no problem with both VLOS and seeing the screen clearly. I have to conclude that each persons eyesight is different and I will just have to judge for myself when I get them.

most folks say that they have no problem with both VLOS and seeing the screen clearly
I've read many reviews. I found most folks do not mention this aspect of the glasses. Since many folks do not fly VLOS, I can only assume that's why it's not often mentioned.

Here's one of the reviews from Amazon that confirms what I'm saying above:

"In order to fly outdoors in the sunshine, you have to use shades to see the display. The problem is that the shades are so dark that it is very difficult to see your drone through those shades, especially if it is a black Mavic. I had to look over-top of the glasses to see my drones almost always."

I found this guys assessment interesting in that even if he has to look over the glasses it's easy and much more convenient to just look down at the screen with his eyes vs having to tilt your head down to view a monitor that 8 times out of 10 you can't read in bright sun light. Also maybe we are at odds about how I wish to use these glasses. I have no desire for an immersive experience. If these glasses work as well as this gentlemen says they do then I will be very very happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambrusco
I have been flying with the Moverio BT-300 glasses for over a week now. I have a P4P controller (used with iPhone or iPad), a P4P+ controller, and Fat Shark goggles. My favorite is flying with the BT-300 glasses. They are light, the image is bright and clear on very sunny days, and I can see in VLOS mode above and below the narrow glasses. In the most recent version of the DJI Go 4 app that runs on the Moverio controller, I can even get into and out of the Intelligent Flight modes for the first time. This might have been fixed in the P4P+ controller and in iOS based apps as well (I have not tested them).

The biggest threat to safety I deal with when flying around the beautiful NH lakes is UltraLights and light aircraft. They like to fly over the tree tops at a low altitude. When using the Moverio, I am immediately aware of their presence and can maneuver quickly out of their path.

The biggest drawback of the Moverio version of the DJI Go 4 App, like the App on the P4P+, is the Moverio device is NOT certified by Google so your can't use Google Maps satellite maps in map view.

I've been using them and I think they are great… I also have the solution to the map problem if you want it

I would love to learn how I can have a map with the Moverio version of the DJI Go 4 App.

Wow this hobby is getting expensive. [emoji15]. One question. How bright and clear is the image you see compared to a phone or tablet. Is it vivid enough to play with camera settings and be sure you're getting a good shot?

Reactions: lone droner
Very bright and clear… Much easier to see in bright sunlight and then my full-size iPad… It's diss advantage is the sensitivity of the touchpad even with adjusting the sensitivity down. No problem for making sure you're getting a good shot. I will, however, use my full-size iPad if using the orbit intelligent flight mode where I need to carefully adjust both the direction and the speed of the orbit

Wow this hobby is getting expensive. [emoji15]. One question. How bright and clear is the image you see compared to a phone or tablet. Is it vivid enough to play with camera settings and be sure you're getting a good shot?
N

I use the darkest filter, so the image is extremely bright and sharp. I look over or under the AR image to see the drone. That is easy since the lens is narrow. An answer to your question is best determined by actual use of the Moverio. B&H will ship the Moverio to you and give you 30 days to evaluate it. That's the way I answered your question for myself. When you get the glasses, you need to load the latest software and firmware on the Moverio and your drone. Doing that will give you some time to master the touchpad interface with the DJI Go 4 application. My guess is that you will never go back to reading iPhones, iPads, Androids, or even the brighter P4P+ screen.

Ha! Aren't most hobbies? :) I will say that for someone that flys for profit like myself being able to clearly see flight telemetry and more importantly the video/picture frame well enough to make adjustments AND be able to fly VLOS is critical to success. I believe these glasses were designed specifically for that purpose. Mine arrive later today and I am "super pumped" :)

N

B&H will ship the Moverio to you and give you 30 days to evaluate it. That's the way I answered your question for myself. When you get the glasses, you need to load the latest software and firmware on the Moverio and your drone. Doing that will give you some time to master the touchpad interface with the DJI Go 4 application. My guess is that you will never go back to reading iPhones, iPads, Androids, or even the brighter P4P+ screen.

I'm afraid I'll agree with you on never wanting to go back to a phone and not want to return these. Then I have to pay for them [emoji15].
You specifically mention the go 4 app? I have a P3a and use the go app (not the 4) they are still compatible?

Ha! Aren't most hobbies? :) I will say that for someone that flys for profit like myself being able to clearly see flight telemetry and more importantly the video/picture frame well enough to make adjustments AND be able to fly VLOS is critical to success. I believe these glasses were designed specifically for that purpose. Mine arrive later today and I am "super pumped" :)

Yes they are. Before this I raced Mini-Z RC cars. Along with being one of the top drivers at the track comes the money it takes to upgrade the cars and stay on top. Would hate to try and figure out the money I've dumped into that hobby.

If I have anything negative to say about this hobby or is the fact of not being able to see the phone in daylight without jamming your head into a sunshade the whole time. I watch back my videos and day oh that's what I was looking at? Lol

Time to put some money on the side and give these a shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.