DJI Go Disconnects from Controller

If your app disconnects from the controller, what device are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE: This post is NOT about the red "no signal" aircraft status that some have experienced.

I have many dozens of flights on my Phantom 3 Pro. Until iOS 9.x came out, I never had an instance of my iPhone 6 Plus disconnecting from the controller mid-flight. When this occurs I lose video, telemetry, and all the software-based controls, but the controller is still connected to the aircraft so line-of-sight flight is fine. This can happen seconds after I get everything running, or it can work for several minutes before disconnecting. The only way to resolve the issue is to force-quit DJI Go, turn off the controller (obviously something that should be avoided mid-flight), turn on the controller, and re-launch DJI Go.

There is much confusion on the forums about this phenomenon, so let me be clear: This involves the mobile device disconnecting from the controller. It has absolutely nothing to do with radio interference, not being in airplane mode, or losing contact with the aircraft. This is strictly about the stability of the USB/Lightning link between the controller and the mobile device (specifically, iPhones -- I have no Android devices to test with).

At first I thought this was an iOS 9 upgrade issue, as that came out on September 16th and coincided with my problems. It affected both my iPhone 6 Plus and my new 6s Plus. However, there have been two DJI Go updates and one remote controller firmware update and three iOS updates since then that still haven't fixed it, AND I JUST VERIFIED THAT IT DOES NOT OCCUR ON MY IPAD MINI 2 RUNNING IOS 9.1 (but unfortunately I see in the forums that it has affected other iPad Mini users).

To date, I have verified that:
  • it is not a cable issue (tried several, all known to be good)
  • it is not an issue with battery levels on the device or controller
  • it is not a software install issue (I've uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Go several times)
  • it happens regardless of the battery in the aircraft
  • I *think* I saw it happen even when the aircraft was off
  • re-linking the controller to the aircraft has no effect (this issue doesn't affect the radio link)
  • it affects at least the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus, but apparently not iPad Mini 2
  • the only way to correct it is to force-quit the app, then power cycle the controller

I am running:
  • iOS DJI Go app (v2.4.0)
  • remote controller firmware (v1.4.30)
  • aircraft firmware (v1.4.10)
  • iPhone 6s Plus
    • Issue noted on both iOS 9.0.2 and 9.1

There are forums all over the net filled with similar comments, and the iOS app reviews are scathing for the same reason. I sure hope DJI corrects this soon. To help them, I'm trying to determine if this affects just specific devices -- such as "phones" versus "tablets" since the codebase is slightly different between the two.

If you have experienced the app disconnecting from the controller (where the aircraft status shows Disconnected (not No Signal), please answer this poll.

Last edited:
I have many dozens of flights on my Phantom 3 Pro. Until iOS 9.x came out, I never had an instance of my iPhone 6 Plus disconnecting from the controller mid-flight. When this occurs I lose video, telemetry, and all the software-based controls, but the controller is still connected to the aircraft so line-of-sight flight is fine. This can happen seconds after I get everything running, or it can work for several minutes before disconnecting. The only way to resolve the issue is to force-quit DJI Go, turn off the controller (obviously something that should be avoided mid-flight), turn on the controller, and re-launch DJI Go.

There is much confusion on the forums about this phenomenon, so let me be clear: This involves the mobile device disconnecting from the controller. It has absolutely nothing to do with radio interference, not being in airplane mode, or losing contact with the aircraft. This is strictly about the stability of the USB/Lightning link between the controller and the mobile device (specifically, iPhones -- I have no Android devices to test with).

At first I thought this was an iOS 9 upgrade issue, as that came out on September 16th and coincided with my problems. It affected both my iPhone 6 Plus and my new 6s Plus. However, there have been two DJI Go updates and one remote controller firmware update and three iOS updates since then that still haven't fixed it, AND I JUST VERIFIED THAT IT DOES NOT OCCUR ON MY IPAD MINI 2 RUNNING IOS 9.1 (but unfortunately I see in the forums that it has affected other iPad Mini users).

To date, I have verified that:
  • it is not a cable issue (tried several, all known to be good)
  • it is not an issue with battery levels on the device or controller
  • it is not a software install issue (I've uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Go several times)
  • it happens regardless of the battery in the aircraft
  • I *think* I saw it happen even when the aircraft was off
  • re-linking the controller to the aircraft has no effect (this issue doesn't affect the radio link)
  • it affects at least the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus, but apparently not iPad Mini 2
  • the only way to correct it is to force-quit the app, then power cycle the controller

I am running:
  • iOS DJI Go app (v2.4.0)
  • remote controller firmware (v1.4.30)
  • aircraft firmware (v1.4.10)
  • iPhone 6s Plus
    • Issue noted on both iOS 9.0.2 and 9.1

There are forums all over the net filled with similar comments, and the iOS app reviews are scathing for the same reason. I sure hope DJI corrects this soon. To help them, I'm trying to determine if this affects just specific devices -- such as "phones" versus "tablets" since the codebase is slightly different between the two.

If you have experienced the app disconnecting from the controller (where the aircraft status shows Disconnected (not No Signal), please answer this poll.

I have never see controller firmware v1.4.30-- the controller should be on 1.3.1.2-- this may be causing your disconnect.
So, just checked 1.4.3 is out-- gonna wait- to see if these issues are widespread

RangerOne,
How did you upgrade I did mine using the Go App the first time out of the box. I noticed the bin file sizes have big differences between 1.3.20 and 1.4.10. My assumption is the Go App did not step me to 1.3.20 then to 1.4.10 which made some components not be available. looking at the MISC/log folder the log shows 2 components not working
[00983514][15 00][00] device not detected. (from research this is something with the camera)
[00996399][08 00][00] device not detected.

The only 2 others that I found with this sent it back to factory for repair. I am planning on going to the store and exchanging it.
Professional - No realtime Video on iPhone or Ipad P3 - Pro | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Looking at the MISC/log folder the log shows 2 components not working
[00983514][15 00][00] device not detected. (from research this is something with the camera)

The only 2 others that I found with this sent it back to factory for repair. I am planning on going to the store and exchanging it.

I also updated mine with the DJI Go app. It disconnected 4 or 5 times before it was finally able to finish the firmware update. I'm not sure where you found those log entries, so I can't compare them. I assumed I could find them in the data files associated with the app on my iPhone, but I don't see anything like that in there.

Guys, this is becoming widespread. Myself, along with numerous others are experiencing the red "no signal" after upgrading to 1.4. This all started around early October and so far we don't have a fix. At first I thought it could be iOS 9, but it doesn't appear to be isolated to apple products. It's possible that something in the latest two versions of the DJI GO app is causing the problem. I read that they've included support for lightbridge 2, so possibly the broke part of lightbridge 1 in doing so. I don't know the answer but together we may be able to figure this out before DJI does. Knowing them, Christmas will come first.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1445584468.326052.jpg

Here is what I think makes sense, just sent it to support... Maybe I am wrong but thought I would try.

Is it possible the Bin file 1.4.010 does not have the driver controller for the camera live streaming.
looking at the MISC/log folder the log shows 2 components not working

The files between version 1.3.20 (95.9 meg) and version 1.4.10 (66.1 meg) have a major difference in size. All the prior versions posted ar from 86 - 96 megs. I know this may be a simple place to look but maybe you can put the drivers back in for the camera streaming feature or what ever the above not detected components are.

Guys, this is becoming widespread. Myself, along with numerous others are experiencing the red "no signal" after upgrading to 1.4. This all started around early October and so far we don't have a fix. At first I thought it could be iOS 9, but it doesn't appear to be isolated to apple products. It's possible that something in the latest two versions of the DJI GO app is causing the problem. I read that they've included support for lightbridge 2, so possibly the broke part of lightbridge 1 in doing so. I don't know the answer but together we may be able to figure this out before DJI does. Knowing them, Christmas will come first.

This is the wrong thread. This is not for the "NO SIGNAL" error, which means the controller can't connect to the aircraft. This is a thread for the "DISCONNECTED" error, which is entirely different and has nothing to do with the aircraft.

This is the wrong thread. This is not for the "NO SIGNAL" error, which means the controller can't connect to the aircraft. This is a thread for the "DISCONNECTED" error, which is entirely different and has nothing to do with the aircraft.
RangerOne, this is a thread you started regarding DJI GO and connection problems with the controller, right? The problems are related, admit it or not, the issue appears to be with 1.4. Everything was working fine for us all on 1.3.2.

Myself and others are experiencing the same issues you are. The only difference is that you are able to establish a connection, then you lose it. So far I can't establish a connection (live video feed), but the controls and the bird work fine and fly fine. I will bet this is related to 1.4 and the addition of lightbridge 2 support being added for the latest 2 versions of DJI GO. That's when the problems started for all of us, not just you.

Don't know if this helps - I had solved a no live feed issue on my iPhone 4S and P2V+ by low level formatting the micro SD card in my PC about 6 weeks ago. But after several flights I decided to format it again (being proactive I suppose) I then did not fly nor test live feed for about a week. During that week i updated my Phone to latest iOS 9.? (latest uprade as of a few weeks ago). Then when i went to fly (after iOS upgrading) I had no live feed again. Further reformatting of SD card did nothing and of course rtied at least all 20 or so suggested "fixes" that also did not work.
The only thing i didn't do was spend $350CDN on a wifi transmission module, I bought a P3A instead yesterday it arrived and now I'm afraid to upgrade to FW 1.4.001

I should note that I am running iPad Mini 1 with iOS 9 on the P3A so far no problem just 1 second lag but have not updated FW for the P3A as yet - am waiting

So wondering if it's more iOS update related?

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps - I had solved a no live feed issue on my iPhone 4S and P2V+ by low level formatting the micro SD card in my PC about 6 weeks ago. But after several flights I decided to format it again (being proactive I suppose) I then did not fly nor test live feed for about a week. During that week i updated my Phone to latest iOS 9.? (latest uprade as of a few weeks ago). Then when i went to fly (after iOS upgrading) I had no live feed again. Further reformatting of SD card did nothing and of course rtied at least all 20 or so suggested "fixes" that also did not work.
The only thing i didn't do was spend $350CDN on a wifi transmission module, I bought a P3A instead yesterday it arrived and now I'm afraid to upgrade to FW 1.4.001

I should note that I am running iPad Mini 1 with iOS 9 on the P3A so far no problem just 1 second lag but have not updated FW for the P3A as yet - am waiting

So wondering if it's more iOS update related?
I believe it's a complex issue, that is more DJI GO app version related, specifically the two latest versions of DJI GO. It however disguises itself as an IOS 9 problem because once you update to IOS 9, DJI GO updates to the IOS 9 compatible version (the last 2 versions). The problem is also happening on android tablets from what I understand, leaning back towards a DJI GO problem. Everyone that has this issue needs to be sure to review the DJI GO app in the App Store by giving it 1 star and stating that it breaks the video feed. Maybe then DJI will update it with a fix and we can get flying again.

Myself and others are experiencing the same issues you are. The only difference is that you are able to establish a connection, then you lose it. So far I can't establish a connection (live video feed), but the controls and the bird work fine and fly fine. I will bet this is related to 1.4 and the addition of lightbridge 2 support being added for the latest 2 versions of DJI GO. That's when the problems started for all of us, not just you.

Sorry, I was referring to your screen shot and the text that referenced a red "no signal" indication. I have never experienced this signal short of my aircraft being off. I believe my aircraft its still transmitting video and telemetry, and suspect that my controller is receiving it just fine. The app just disconnects from the controller and can't reconnect until I power cycle the controller. When this happens I can't even get into DJI Go -- no camera video, no aircraft connection, nothing.

Some of the symptoms may be similar (lack of video, etc) but it seems to me like they are unrelated. If there were a driver issue on the aircraft or a compatibility issue with Lightbridge 1/2 handling either in the aircraft or in the controller, one would expect it to be consistent (as yours is, so these do seem like possible causes for your issue). But mine works fine for periods of time, and I don't get the red "no signal" error.

My post is strictly about the "disconnected" phenomenon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete Leare
Sorry, I was referring to your screen shot and the text that referenced a red "no signal" indication. I have never experienced this signal short of my aircraft being off. I believe my aircraft its still transmitting video and telemetry, and suspect that my controller is receiving it just fine. The app just disconnects from the controller and can't reconnect until I power cycle the controller. When this happens I can't even get into DJI Go -- no camera video, no aircraft connection, nothing.

Some of the symptoms may be similar (lack of video, etc) but it seems to me like they are unrelated. If there were a driver issue on the aircraft or a compatibility issue with Lightbridge 1/2 handling either in the aircraft or in the controller, one would expect it to be consistent (as yours is, so these do seem like possible causes for your issue). But mine works fine for periods of time, and I don't get the red "no signal" error.

My post is strictly about the "disconnected" phenomenon.
When I updated from 1.1.9 to 1.3.2 I had the same issue. The controller would disconnect. Much to my surprise, I did not know that the controller did not update from the app even though I had latest app version installed. That was because I had a 300A controller which has to be updated thru the USB with the bin file.
As soon as I updated the controller, thru the USB, the controller connection no longer disconnected. Hope that helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31