DJI GO App Suddenly Crashing Immediately and Successively

Reaction score
It is hoped that I have posted correctly. If not please excuse my ignorance re-route me. I am freaking-out and desperate for help. You guys always have come through with solutions. I took a whole day off work trying to resolve this on my own – no success at all. I really need advice, please.
I’ve had both P4 & P3 Pro since they each came out. Up until 3 days ago both worked exceptionally well. Experienced some minor issues due to user error but that’s it.
Then the nightmare began. Now the Go app consistently crashes – on each bird – using 3 separate Android devices. Until now I always used these, never experiencing difficulty or the slightest issue: Nexus tablet, Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge phone, Samsung tablet?!? Uninstalled/re-installed app, cleared cashes – same result: drones will connect to controller and most times Go app will open. Shortly thereafter the app crashes; sometimes even before the bird is ready to fly (warming-up). App crashes and asks if I want to send report, re-start app or shut down. Sometimes app crashes so many times successively it won’t even offer to re-start or send report, just asks to be closed (all 3 devices and both birds). Each aircraft remains connected to RC and is controllable; just no video or telemetry post app crash. First contact with DJI: I was directed to start aircraft, RC & app then, remove SD card from drone, shut everything down, restart everything then re-insert SD card. I did. Nothing changed.
My last conversation with DJI has me sending in both birds back to DJI?!? Flown them for several months – all was well, perfect, before the last app update! Even so, I have a couple other birds on hand that I can use if I send in the Phantoms. Aside from having $5000,00 worth of doorstops right now, my P3 is highly modded, both controller & bird. No way DJI will hesitate to use that against me. I can’t send it in. I have an extra, stock P3 controller. I tried to bind the bird to that just to try something, anything. It won’t bind. When I go through the process the app opens only to the home page with the Mavic. The dropdown with instructions is there on how to bind each bird but that’s it. Won’t recognize the P3 and allow me to open camera view to get to bind setting.
Has anyone else experienced this? According to DJI this issue is unique to me. Any feedback at all will be GREATLY appreciated, especially how to get around the modded P3 issue. I know it cannot be the birds; how can they both behave exactly the same following an app update, no way it’s the drones. Help, please, S.O.S!

Reactions: lone droner
Sorry if I might have missed something, but did you update anything before getting these problems? Update your tablets, apps, etc? One of my friends downloaded the October security patch for Android and it has started to glitch things on his phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello, I do update the phone and tablets regularly, as the updates come in. I don't remember what the last one for the Nexus 7 was for but the update was recent. I beleive it was a system update; runing Nougat now. However, the birds flew perfectly and app showed no issues until 3 days ago, after the DJI app update. I'm willing to try anything. If you have a suggestion(s) for a fix please share. I do not want to be without the birds. Foliage is perfect now and I will lose the entire season. Plus, I totally screwed with the P3; can send it in due to the excellent modifications I did on it. Also, these were done way back when I 1st got it, so it's not due to the mods for sure. I need to get some sleep now but please add any instructions at all you/anyone think worth trying. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate your time.

I have been reading more and more people posting issues after the latest update?

I did not do it because I switched to Litchi.

One thing I did when I got my P3A was uninstall all apps I was not using on my Tablet and turned off auto updates, notifications and installed a app killer and use it before each flight session. I am running a older Samsung Tab4 that is slow compared to the new tablets but it seems to work really well even so.

Last edited:
I have been reading more and more people posting issues after the latest update?

I did not do it because I switched to Litchi.

One thing I did when I got my P3A was uninstall all apps I was not using on my Tablet and turned off auto updates, notifications and installed a app killer and use it before each flight session. I am running a older Samsung Tab4 that is slow compared to the new tablets but it seems to work really well ever so.
Hello, yes I do it very similarly. The Nexus is used solely for flying. The difference between your use and mine is that I do allow for updates. I might need to switch to your system. I took off work today and I'm going out to try Litchi.app shortly. Lacking success there I'm going to Best Buy, see if I can find an inexpensive, older version tablet. Still I think I migh be stuck due to when I download the GO app the app will be the most recent version. Perhaps the other gentalman, RJ, that repliedto me can instruct me on how to downgrade the app itself. Idk, this is the oddest, most perplexing problem I've ever encounterd with the birds? And that includes a Typhoon crashing into the belfry of CT State Capitol (User error while working on project for Historical Society) and a couple unintended water 'landings' with the older Phantoms. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Reactions: TedN
Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Seems to be caused by the android DJI Go v3. Found an .apk file on the Nexus 9 in the download folder from when the app was originally loaded on to the tablet. Uninstalled v3, installed v2.9.1 and everything this is working as it should.

If you go in to the play store and read the recent reviews, you can see that is a widespread issue.

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Seems to be caused by the android DJI Go v3. Found an .apk file on the Nexus 9 in the download folder from when the app was originally loaded on to the tablet. Uninstalled v3, installed v2.9.1 and everything this is working as it should.

If you go in to the play store and read the recent reviews, you can see that is a widespread issue.

Yes, I see that now, thank you. I searched my devices and cannot find older version anywhere. Just called DJI and requested a link to download the version you reccomended, v2.9.1. Was informed that it's not doable. Can upload so I can download to my device? This is a link to a folder in my Google Drive: DAVE - Google Drive

I won't have access to it until monday. The equipment is at the office and I'm on a long weekend. I think we found it in settings >storage>other>download.

I won't have access to it until monday. The equipment is at the office and I'm on a long weekend. I think we found it in settings >storage>other>download.
Thanks. After reading your reply I did a search and just put up another related post. This site has GO v3 and the previous 3 GO versions available for download. Haven't flown yet but did just installed the one you reccomended, v2.9.1. Going out to give it a test now. The site: DJI GO APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com

LOL you are one step ahead of me. :)
We be flyin'. This was the P3 using GO v2.9.1. (see attached). Flew ful battery; no issues.Thank you. Heading to park for P4 test.
P3.jpg
Back in Saddle.jpg
Flew entire battery, didn't add the extra 2 I have it modded to accomodate and was using the stock controler. Workrd perfectly the entired flight! Very happy. Going to park now to check P4.

Thanks. After reading your reply I did a search and just put up another related post. This site has GO v3 and the previous 3 GO versions available for download. Haven't flown yet but did just installed the one you reccomended, v2.9.1. Going out to give it a test now. The site: DJI GO APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com
We be flyin'. This was the P3 using GO v2.9.1. (see attached). Flew full battery; no issues.Thank you. Heading to park for P4 test.
Back in Saddle.jpg
P3.jpg

It is hoped that I have posted correctly. If not please excuse my ignorance re-route me. I am freaking-out and desperate for help. You guys always have come through with solutions. I took a whole day off work trying to resolve this on my own – no success at all. I really need advice, please.
I’ve had both P4 & P3 Pro since they each came out. Up until 3 days ago both worked exceptionally well. Experienced some minor issues due to user error but that’s it.
Then the nightmare began. Now the Go app consistently crashes – on each bird – using 3 separate Android devices. Until now I always used these, never experiencing difficulty or the slightest issue: Nexus tablet, Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge phone, Samsung tablet?!? Uninstalled/re-installed app, cleared cashes – same result: drones will connect to controller and most times Go app will open. Shortly thereafter the app crashes; sometimes even before the bird is ready to fly (warming-up). App crashes and asks if I want to send report, re-start app or shut down. Sometimes app crashes so many times successively it won’t even offer to re-start or send report, just asks to be closed (all 3 devices and both birds). Each aircraft remains connected to RC and is controllable; just no video or telemetry post app crash. First contact with DJI: I was directed to start aircraft, RC & app then, remove SD card from drone, shut everything down, restart everything then re-insert SD card. I did. Nothing changed.
My last conversation with DJI has me sending in both birds back to DJI?!? Flown them for several months – all was well, perfect, before the last app update! Even so, I have a couple other birds on hand that I can use if I send in the Phantoms. Aside from having $5000,00 worth of doorstops right now, my P3 is highly modded, both controller & bird. No way DJI will hesitate to use that against me. I can’t send it in. I have an extra, stock P3 controller. I tried to bind the bird to that just to try something, anything. It won’t bind. When I go through the process the app opens only to the home page with the Mavic. The dropdown with instructions is there on how to bind each bird but that’s it. Won’t recognize the P3 and allow me to open camera view to get to bind setting.
Has anyone else experienced this? According to DJI this issue is unique to me. Any feedback at all will be GREATLY appreciated, especially how to get around the modded P3 issue. I know it cannot be the birds; how can they both behave exactly the same following an app update, no way it’s the drones. Help, please, S.O.S!

In orbit mode in DJI Go v4, I've had two app crashes on a Nexus 6, so it's not just you. I think downgrading is the best option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.