DJI GO 4.0 is out for iOS

But no support for P3, I hope that they make it compatible at a later date.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Not very likely.....they brought out the new app because the other one was getting too bloated with all the different things that connect with it, so I don't imagine they'll want the new one to go down the same road.

Reactions: Sparky1963
So what will happen when DJI run out of version numbers on the version 3 series of DJI Go updates, they can't use version 4

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Downloaded it and installed it in my iPhone 7PLus, seems to work in my office without props.
Basically for individuals like me who owns a P3P and a P4, we have to have both apps installed to be able to fly both aircraft. However I can still fly the P3P & P4 with DJI Go 3.0.0 unless a future update to DJI GO 3.x.x completely obliterates the P4 from the DJI GO App 3.x.x series.

Zoom has only been supported with iOS Go apps in the past on P4. I'm not sure if the GO4 android included it this time, I forgot to test that. However with P4P I was told that 2X zoom is not supported yet on any device type.
Lots of misinformation being disseminated about the P4P and P4P+. Until we actually get them in our hands, and can test them ourselves, we can only assume that minimal changes will be made to the existing P4 functionality, with many enhancements! Then, the creativity begins, to see which limitations can be worked around, and what mods can be made to support longer range and battery life, once we know how accurate the hype is! :cool:

Only in 1080p, as I recall.
I'm guessing the zoom is digital zoom and not optical zoom, so—as a semi-professional photographer—I'm staying far away from this feature as possible!

I'm guessing the zoom is digital zoom and not optical zoom, so—as a semi-professional photographer—I'm staying far away from this feature as possible!
Clearly! You can easily do a digital zoom in post, and have far more control over it, than pinching out with your fingers on a live screen in flight! Shoot in 4K and you won't lose any quality on a 1080p output!

While I don't have any drone as of yet (P4P+ on it's way (I hope)). But this kind of thing may not be a zoom, but rather a sensor crop. When you are shooting 1080 on a 4k camera usually what happens is that the full sensor area is captured (4k) and scaled down to 1080 and recorded. The alternative is to do no scaling and just crop out the center 1920x1080 out of the 4k image. Perceptually this is an enlargement, but really it is just lack of the downscaling that typically happens. So hopefully that is how it works on the Phantoms and in some cases the 1080 will look much nicer as it is native 1:1 pixels.

While I don't have any drone as of yet (P4P+ on it's way (I hope)). But this kind of thing may not be a zoom, but rather a sensor crop. When you are shooting 1080 on a 4k camera usually what happens is that the full sensor area is captured (4k) and scaled down to 1080 and recorded. The alternative is to do no scaling and just crop out the center 1920x1080 out of the 4k image. Perceptually this is an enlargement, but really it is just lack of the downscaling that typically happens. So hopefully that is how it works on the Phantoms and in some cases the 1080 will look much nicer as it is native 1:1 pixels.
I believe you are correct. Still, better to shoot in 4K and precisely do the sensor crop in post, if you are going to convert to 1080p.

The only time I go down to 1080 resolution is if I need to capture at 60 FPS, otherwise (the majority of my flights), I capture in 4K.

The only time I go down to 1080 resolution is if I need to capture at 60 FPS, otherwise (the majority of my flights), I capture in 4K.
Fortunately, on the P4P/P4P+, you will no longer have to make that mutually exclusive choice! It shoots 60fps at 4K! :cool:

I believe you are correct. Still, better to shoot in 4K and precisely do the sensor crop in post, if you are going to convert to 1080p.
This is correct, it's a cropping of the 4K sensor, so if you're shooting in 1080, the zoom is lossless. Most people are missing the point. The benefit isn't to help with editing, yes you can crop 4K and it's more flexible. That's not the point of the 2X zoom. The primary advantage is while you're flying you can zoom in to see thing BIGGER, lossless too!. It doesn't degrade the 720P image you are seeing in the screen, because the craft is cropping to 1080 image from a 4K image. The clarity in the screen is absolutely lossless, allowing you to see things CLOSER. This helps in scenarios where you want to be farther away, such as viewing animals so you don't scare them, people so you don't annoy them, or simply in areas that are too dangerous to fly closer. This is very handy when doing video inspections in 1080, seeing things closer. Many times you will see things you normally would have flown right by without noticing, this does happen. Last month I was shooting some rock climbers on the Flatirons, Boulder CO. It was quite windy and I didn't want to get too close to them, so I zoomed in so I could see them in my screen. It worked perfectly, here's a link to see. Zoom works great, but you do want to edit out the moments that you zoom in and zoom out, because they are not smooth like an optical zoom.

Last edited:
This is correct, it's a cropping of the 4K sensor, so if you're shooting in 1080, the zoom is lossless. Most people are missing the point. The benefit isn't to help with editing, yes you can crop 4K and it's more flexible. That's not the point of the 2X zoom. The primary advantage is while you're flying you can zoom in to see thing BIGGER, lossless too!. It doesn't degrade the 720P image you are seeing in the screen, because the craft is cropping to 1080 image from a 4K image. The clarity in the screen is absolutely lossless, allowing you to see things CLOSER. This helps in scenarios where you want to be farther away, such as viewing animals so you don't scare them, people so you don't annoy them, or simply in areas that are too dangerous to fly closer. This is very handy when doing video inspections in 1080, seeing things closer. Many times you will see things you normally would have flown right by without noticing, this does happen. Last month I was shooting some rock climbers on the Flatirons, Boulder CO. It was quite windy and I didn't want to get too close to them, so I zoomed in so I could see them in my screen. It worked perfectly, here's a link to see. Zoom works great, but you do want to edit out the moments that you zoom in and zoom out, because they are not smooth like an optical zoom.
Great idea. Very useful for photos, too, unless you want 4k video, in which case it won't help. Does it work when the video recording is off, to zoom in on the FPV? My discovery moments come after the flight, when I review my continuous 4K footage on my 4K monitor! :cool:

Reactions: Sparky1963
Great idea. Very useful for photos, too, unless you want 4k video, in which case it won't help. Does it work when the video recording is off, to zoom in on the FPV? My discovery moments come after the flight, when I review my continuous 4K footage on my 4K monitor! :cool:
Yes, zoom works with iOS (GO or GO4) only while flying or recording while the camera is set to 1080. I have confirmed it doesn't work with Android Go or GO4. Just pinch and spread the screen to zoom out or zoom in. As you zoom with a finger spread, the image notches up closer. It's not a smooth zoom, because it's digitally stepping up the crop the sensor to the next increment. I think there are only 5 increments between 1X and 2X, so it's a jerky zoom in and out. Those clips of jerky zoom would need to be edited out.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl