DJI Geo should be completely scrapped

The primary concern is that for every 100 people that abide by the NFZ rules, there's always that 1 selfish, reckless and careless individual who will fly wherever/whenever they want. It's people like that who will eventually cause a serious aviation incident. While I understand your concern, I completely understand why the rule is in place. All it takes is one major incident before our drones become illegal to fly outside of designated rc parks.

The primary concern is that for every 100 people that abide by the NFZ rules, there's always that 1 selfish, reckless and careless individual who will fly wherever/whenever they want. It's people like that who will eventually cause a serious aviation incident. While I understand your concern, I completely understand why the rule is in place. All it takes is one major incident before our drones become illegal to fly outside of designated rc parks.
Exactly

Ahhh, I see, the "Let's hide and hope no one notices us" defense... yea, that'll work...lol

And when did a rule ever stop an idiot or criminal before? If they did there would be zero crime. The person you are worried about will be the guy who just uploads modified firmware to disable NFZs entirely.
I'm not that guy, I want a fully functional and safe unit that flies exclusively under my control. I'll decide when and where to fly myself.

Reactions: Pulsar747n
DJIs Geo is an utter failure and a serious accident waiting to happen.

No aircraft uses such a system and for good reason, no pilot would allow himself to be trapped aboard an aircraft he's responsible for safely flying that could randomly steal control away from him and potentially crash it.

Additionally, DJI controls the Geo database, not the FAA or other responsible party. They can establish (and have) random NFZ and TFR anywhere and anytime they like with utter impunity. They do not answer to anyone, have no oversight and we know they don't care about customer feedback whatsoever.

The US Army isn't about to let a Chinese company decide when it's drones can fly and/or where and has dropped ALL DJI products.

If DJI is smart they will immediately remove Geo from their firmware or, at a minimum, allow it to be turned off easily. Period. No negotiation or empty promises to fix it someday.

I couldn't take off again today, in a nice wide open area not near anything and without any FRs of any kind, just big brother DJI lying to me claiming that I was in a NFZ and Cannot Take Off. Thankfully I brought an old P3 I borrowed from a friend with older firmware and was able to do the job without the client knowing I had issues.

If Gro hasn't screwed with you, I'm happy for your luck but uninterested in your reply. For every one of us complaining about Geo in this forum, I'd bet there are a dozen more in the real world. We need to make DJI aware of our dissatisfaction.
Can you imagine Ford or GM installing software on their cars that stopped the car when it thought there were restrictions such as speed or too close to the edge of the road. What if Cessna stopped their planes if they entered a controlled airspace. Then why is it at acceptable that DJI basically do the same?

sheeple, what a shame most are. let a company control you. well if you fell safer ok.such is the sad state of the world, wanting someone else to tell them right/wrong, what to do.

image.jpg

I'm with Drestin, but in NZ the NFZs are actually too small!
Besides, I use Litchi.

.. and anyone who wants to defy the rules will do so, either with a non-dji done, or with a crack that takes off all sorts of limits (NFZs, speeds, height etc - easily found on the net) which means the restricting measures will pretty much only be annoying the people who would fly safely anyway.

(ETA - should've read the whole thread, I'm not the first to say this)

Reactions: Drestin Black
For the record, the FAA HAS NOT instructed, recommended or even suggested DJI or any other drone manufacturer implement geofencing in their products. The FAA IS pursuing other solutions to manage the growth of drone use in the national airspace.

DJIs Geo is an utter failure and a serious accident waiting to happen.

No aircraft uses such a system and for good reason, no pilot would allow himself to be trapped aboard an aircraft he's responsible for safely flying that could randomly steal control away from him and potentially crash it.

Additionally, DJI controls the Geo database, not the FAA or other responsible party. They can establish (and have) random NFZ and TFR anywhere and anytime they like with utter impunity. They do not answer to anyone, have no oversight and we know they don't care about customer feedback whatsoever.

The US Army isn't about to let a Chinese company decide when it's drones can fly and/or where and has dropped ALL DJI products.

If DJI is smart they will immediately remove Geo from their firmware or, at a minimum, allow it to be turned off easily. Period. No negotiation or empty promises to fix it someday.

I couldn't take off again today, in a nice wide open area not near anything and without any FRs of any kind, just big brother DJI lying to me claiming that I was in a NFZ and Cannot Take Off. Thankfully I brought an old P3 I borrowed from a friend with older firmware and was able to do the job without the client knowing I had issues.

If Gro hasn't screwed with you, I'm happy for your luck but uninterested in your reply. For every one of us complaining about Geo in this forum, I'd bet there are a dozen more in the real world. We need to make DJI aware of our dissatisfaction.
You are completely in the right Drestin. I've stopped buying DJI as well. Little known is they are now having distributer issues in the US as well. DJI has killed their business and are doing more to hurt the industry than help. Drones are now being sold with 'no geofencing' as a feature. As many other options become available DJI will go the way of Betamax. I don't expect them to be a major player within two years - it they are still around at all. As for keeping drones out of actual airspace and what not - you're more likely to get hit by lightening according to the current statistics for drone incidents. When there is no perspective put to an issue then it's about an agenda rather than common sense. www.dji-advocacy.com - working on it slowly to educate people before they spend thousands on a product that doesn't work as expected. Not 'live' yet as I haven't added advertisers to recoup the money I'm spending to get the word out.

Check out the GDU Byrd II - a drone with interchangeable cameras and a good candidate as a DJI killer. Options are quickly becoming available. Just a waiting game until DJI learns a valuable lesson while it get's two black eyes for not listening to consumers.

You are completely in the right Drestin. I've stopped buying DJI as well. Little known is they are now having distributer issues in the US as well. DJI has killed their business and are doing more to hurt the industry than help. Drones are now being sold with 'no geofencing' as a feature. As many other options become available DJI will go the way of Betamax. I don't expect them to be a major player within two years - it they are still around at all. As for keeping drones out of actual airspace and what not - you're more likely to get hit by lightening according to the current statistics for drone incidents. When there is no perspective put to an issue then it's about an agenda rather than common sense. www.dji-advocacy.com - working on it slowly to educate people before they spend thousands on a product that doesn't work as expected. Not 'live' yet as I haven't added advertisers to recoup the money I'm spending to get the word out.

Check out the GDU Byrd II - a drone with interchangeable cameras and a good candidate as a DJI killer. Options are quickly becoming available. Just a waiting game until DJI learns a valuable lesson while it get's two black eyes for not listening to consumers.

I will agree to disagree....

Ca
For the record, the FAA HAS NOT instructed, recommended or even suggested DJI or any other drone manufacturer implement geofencing in their products. The FAA IS pursuing other solutions to manage the growth of drone use in the national airspace.
Can you provide a link to substantiate your claims? It seems that I have seen some information that stated that they were being instructed, by US and Chinese governments, according to quotes on another thread.

Can you provide a link to substantiate your claims? It seems that I have seen some information that stated that they were being instructed, by US and Chinese governments, according to quotes on another thread.

These are not my claims. It is public knowledge. If you want the information, it is available from the FAA. You can start with Sense and Avoid. It is one of the initiatives they are pursuing.

These are not my claims. It is public knowledge. If you want the information, it is available from the FAA. You can start with Sense and Avoid. It is one of the initiatives they are pursuing.

Do you honestly think that DJI would go to the trouble and expense to do this if they were not instructed to as a condition of being granted the ability to sell their products in the USA???????

Do you honestly think that DJI would go to the trouble and expense to do this if they were not instructed to as a condition of being granted the ability to sell their products in the USA???????

Uhhhm, what? DJI was never given an ultimatum. They created GEO without any prompting by the US. Don't believe me? Ask Brendan Schulman. He is DJI's head advocate for GEO and VP of policy in the US. Furthermore, the FAA currently has NO licensing or certification programs for foreign or domestically made small UAS. Anyone can build one and sell it in the US.

I would suggest learning about the FAA's initiatives for drones if you wish to discuss it further. It is well documented. And not mentioned once in any of that is a call for geofencing. And once you've read that, read all 561 pages of discussion about GEO here:

Official DJI GEO System - News, Public Beta and information - RC Groups

Uhhhm, what? DJI was never given an ultimatum. They created GEO without any prompting by the US. Don't believe me? Ask Brendan Schulman. He is DJI's head advocate for GEO and VP of policy in the US. Furthermore, the FAA currently has NO licensing or certification programs for foreign or domestically made small UAS. Anyone can build one and sell it in the US.

I would suggest learning about the FAA's initiatives for drones if you wish to discuss it further. It is well documented. And not mentioned once in any of that is a call for geofencing. And once you've read that, read all 561 pages of discussion about GEO here:

Official DJI GEO System - News, Public Beta and information - RC Groups

We will agree to disagree.

We will agree to disagree.

Maybe. But while you have absolutely no foundation for what you are suggesting, I have the information directly from the FAA and DJI. All of which is publicly available online.

After you read DJI's direct correspondence including from Brendan Schulman himself in the link I provided above, you can then inform yourself on what the FAA has currently on the books. Start with the 2012 FMRA (section 336 and section 333), then FAA part 41 and FAA part 107.

Once you've read that, you can read what the FAA is considering:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/research/reports/media/UAS-SAA-Multi-Sensor-Data-Fusion-Strategies.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/uas/research/reports/media/UAS-SAA-System-Certification-Obstacles.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/uas/research/reports/media/Surveillance-Criticality-for-SAA.pdf

And many others too numerous to post. Happy reading. :D

Ca

Can you provide a link to substantiate your claim ?

It's not possible to provide a link to prove a negative

Last edited:
Just disable NFZs entirely via firmware or modded app methods.

For the moment, that's the simplest solution. I like having the Geo stuff as a feature, but it definitely should have a proper "off" switch.

Not only do I honestly think that, but he proof is on your hands, in the app and firmware that supports a system that no one asked for and very few like. Created entirely independently of any government interaction anywhere.

Except, possibly that the US Army found something in DJI software and firmware that concerned it so much to drop the entire line.

I'm looking at other drones so I can abandon my DJI phantoms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4