DJI Geo should be completely scrapped

Reaction score
DJIs Geo is an utter failure and a serious accident waiting to happen.

No aircraft uses such a system and for good reason, no pilot would allow himself to be trapped aboard an aircraft he's responsible for safely flying that could randomly steal control away from him and potentially crash it.

Additionally, DJI controls the Geo database, not the FAA or other responsible party. They can establish (and have) random NFZ and TFR anywhere and anytime they like with utter impunity. They do not answer to anyone, have no oversight and we know they don't care about customer feedback whatsoever.

The US Army isn't about to let a Chinese company decide when it's drones can fly and/or where and has dropped ALL DJI products.

If DJI is smart they will immediately remove Geo from their firmware or, at a minimum, allow it to be turned off easily. Period. No negotiation or empty promises to fix it someday.

I couldn't take off again today, in a nice wide open area not near anything and without any FRs of any kind, just big brother DJI lying to me claiming that I was in a NFZ and Cannot Take Off. Thankfully I brought an old P3 I borrowed from a friend with older firmware and was able to do the job without the client knowing I had issues.

If Gro hasn't screwed with you, I'm happy for your luck but uninterested in your reply. For every one of us complaining about Geo in this forum, I'd bet there are a dozen more in the real world. We need to make DJI aware of our dissatisfaction.

DJIs Geo is an utter failure and a serious accident waiting to happen.

No aircraft uses such a system and for good reason, no pilot would allow himself to be trapped aboard an aircraft he's responsible for safely flying that could randomly steal control away from him and potentially crash it.

Additionally, DJI controls the Geo database, not the FAA or other responsible party. They can establish (and have) random NFZ and TFR anywhere and anytime they like with utter impunity. They do not answer to anyone, have no oversight and we know they don't care about customer feedback whatsoever.

The US Army isn't about to let a Chinese company decide when it's drones can fly and/or where and has dropped ALL DJI products.

If DJI is smart they will immediately remove Geo from their firmware or, at a minimum, allow it to be turned off easily. Period. No negotiation or empty promises to fix it someday.

I couldn't take off again today, in a nice wide open area not near anything and without any FRs of any kind, just big brother DJI lying to me claiming that I was in a NFZ and Cannot Take Off. Thankfully I brought an old P3 I borrowed from a friend with older firmware and was able to do the job without the client knowing I had issues.

If Gro hasn't screwed with you, I'm happy for your luck but uninterested in your reply. For every one of us complaining about Geo in this forum, I'd bet there are a dozen more in the real world. We need to make DJI aware of our dissatisfaction.

The NFZ areas are there for a reason.........If you might just engage your brain before you put your mouth in motion, you might just get it.

The NFZ areas are there for a reason.........If you might just engage your brain before you put your mouth in motion, you might just get it.

I think OP has engaged his brain quite well. In the case of the US Army, they are using DJI drones for a lot of testing of developmental weapons and defense systems. DJI Geo would require the US Army to send a request to a foreign company essentially asking for permission to fly on a military installation, giving specific time and location information. Not exactly the kind of stuff you want to get out for sensitive or classified testing.

Secondly, as a commercial operator, DJI should give me the option to assume liability and fly wherever I choose. Does DJI really intend to commit resources toward fielding thousands of commercial requests to unlock NFZ's in a timely fashion? Doubtful.

Oh really? Is that how it works aboard a Cessna or Bell or Boeing?
Yes NFZs exist for good reason and should be respected... By the pilot under Pilot control. DJI is not the airspace police. It's not their job, it's the pilots. If you had thought this through before opening your mouth and spewing the party line comrade you'd realize how backward you are thinking.

Pilots control aircraft, not what tiny computer logic can fit inside a couple pound $1200 toy. Multimillion dollar aircraft don't have such systems for good reason, educate yourself why and you'll not embarrass yourself again.

Last edited:
My drone, my responsibility - not unreliable hardware and buggy software by Dà-Jiāng Innovations Science and Technology Co., Ltd, a Chinese technology company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong.

I wouldn't object if the significant permanent NFZs (White House, Pentagon, Area 51) were installed and we were not permitted to fly in them, but, even in those cases, still allow the craft to return home, not auto land, should it stray into the area.

Oh really? Is that how it works aboard a Cessna or Bell or Boeing?
Yes NFZs exist for good reason and should be respected... By the pilot under Pilot control. DJI is not the airspace police. It's not their job, it's the pilots. If you had thought this threw before opening your mouth and spewing the party line comrade you'd realize how backward you are thinking.

Pilots control aircraft, not what tiny computer logic can fit inside a couple pound $1200 toy. Multimillion dollar aircraft don't have such systems for good reason, educate yourself why and you'll not embarrass yourself again.

NFZ are there to try to stop people like you trying to 'mixing' it with those of us who fly Human carrying aircraft.

Sell it and get something else. You can complain, but that wont likely get anywhere, lots complain. No matter what I have done in my life, there have always been rules and restrictions. I don't like stop signs, no one else there, but I have to stop, why? Because if I get to choose when I stop, then it is chaos.

Reactions: Philltayl
No, they are not! Educate yourself before trying to debate please.

Yes they are......... it's not a Chinese manufacture issue.......they are doing as instructed......by your government.

I do not want to come across a 'hobby' drone being operated in an area where they should not belong.

Sell it and get something else. You can complain, but that wont likely get anywhere, lots complain. No matter what I have done in my life, there have always been rules and restrictions. I don't like stop signs, no one else there, but I have to stop, why? Because if I get to choose when I stop, then it is chaos.

Sigh... I one objecting to the NFZs themselves how any times must this be said! Just like in a car. Yes, there is a stop sign but it's up to the driver to stop, not the car. There are speed limit signs, the driver decides how fast to drive, not the car.

In real airplanes, the pilot chooses how to handle a NFZ, and, yes, he can even choose to violate it, because as the pilot he is the human in charge of the airplane, not the airplane in charge of the humans.

I hate having to repeat myself... I've no objection to rules and NFZs and TFRs, but *I* will decide how to handle encounters them, not big brother, or some Chinese company with a unreliable track record for poor software.

Reactions: streamwhuddle
Sigh... I one objecting to the NFZs themselves how any times must this be said! Just like in a car. Yes, there is a stop sign but it's up to the driver to stop, not the car. There are speed limit signs, the driver decides how fast to drive, not the car.

In real airplanes, the pilot chooses how to handle a NFZ, and, yes, he can even choose to violate it, because as the pilot he is the human in charge of the airplane, not the airplane in charge of the humans.

I hate having to repeat myself... I've no objection to rules and NFZs and TFRs, but *I* will decide how to handle encounters them, not big brother, or some Chinese company with a unreliable track record for poor software.

If your DJI is in charge of you and not the other way round, then you are the type of person that needs the NFZ's

Yes they are......... it's not a Chinese manufacture issue.......they are doing as instructed......by your government.

I do not want to come across a 'hobby' drone being operated in an area where they should not belong.

NO government has instructed ANY drone maker to install ANY NFZ avoidance in its drones to date. Just as they haven't for any airplane or helicopter or jet or even any other flying object, hot air balloon, ultra lightweight, gliders, other model aircraft. See the patten? DJI is the exception and dropping the ball. Maybe losing the the entire US Military over it will help them change their course.

I would just like to get mine where it would work on my galax s3 phone it was working before they change the flim ware it will download but will not open up.

lol dji told me to borrow a phone wonder if they would let me borrow one of there's when ever I wont to fly it that is the only help I have got on the matter.

NO government has instructed ANY drone maker to install ANY NFZ avoidance in its drones to date. Just as they haven't for any airplane or helicopter or jet or even any other flying object, hot air balloon, ultra lightweight, gliders, other model aircraft. See the patten? DJI is the exception and dropping the ball. Maybe losing the the entire US Military over it will help them change their course.

You have proof that the government, or FAA has not instructed DJI to impose these restrictions, could you post a link? You seem to think you have better information than us, so educate us.

Cars are about to become autonomous, when they do, they will do as they are told, the government will decide how that goes too. You will sit in your car, it will drive and if it decides to stop, turn or what ever, it will be because it was directed to do so.

A few comments (not wanting to get in the middle of this spirited discussion).

I too am a pilot and about a year and a half ago I had a drone pop up in front of me while I was entering the downwind of a non-towered airport. I could see the need for some kind of Geo-lock system but a manufacturer running it (or for their products) isn't such a great idea.

Drestin - I'm curious to know where you were located when you were locked out. When DJI started this whole thing I went out and tested their system and it was pretty accurate in my neck of the woods.

One may argue that a Boeing or Cessna doesn't have a lock out system in their aircraft, but then again only a LICENSED pilot will be flying these aircraft. Perhaps we could do away with any type of NFZ lock out system when all drone pilots are licensed? Food for thought.

A few comments (not wanting to get in the middle of this spirited discussion).

I too am a pilot and about a year and a half ago I had a drone pop up in front of me while I was entering the downwind of a non-towered airport. I could see the need for some kind of Geo-lock system but a manufacturer running it (or for their products) isn't such a great idea.

Drestin - I'm curious to know where you were located when you were locked out. When DJI started this whole thing I went out and tested their system and it was pretty accurate in my neck of the woods.

One may argue that a Boeing or Cessna doesn't have a lock out system in their aircraft, but then again only a LICENSED pilot will be flying these aircraft. Perhaps we could do away with any type of NFZ lock out system when all drone pilots are licensed? Food for thought.
How true, maybe licensing is the only way, N numbers and all.

I too am a pilot and I understand that all the rules are to try to protect those in the air and on the ground. There are a lot of rules to fly by, in a plane. But without them we cannot fly safely, they are necessary. It is time for all drone pilots to understand that this is not all fun and games, it is a serious business, flying.

We share the air with aircraft that could have 600 people on board, that is a lot of lives at stake. If the FAA determines that drones represent a real and present danger to aircraft, they will do something about it, make no mistake. It is because of the lives at stake that the rules are so strict and important. Drones can be replaced, lives cannot. Respect the Aircraft Pilots, they have a hard job, stressful and dangerous.

We have a large piece of the air space where we can operate, it is our assigned airspace, learn to live with it like every pilot has to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl