DJI forced firmware upgrade???

Reaction score
Well... I decided to dust off the trusty P4P+ now that winter has gone (Australia) charged up the batteries and fired up the controller/phantom and there's a message 'inconsistent firmware detected' & 'update available' so as usual I hit the ignore button since my Phantom has been working perfectly on the old firmware since I downgraded it. Lo and behold on the top left of screen it says 'aircraft locked'. What the hell... Seems it is never going to fly again until I upgrade the firmware, which I don't want to do after reading the horror stories on here and the firmware if it is buggy, can no longer be downgraded.
So now I face the dilemma of having a fancy looking mantle piece, or risking a firmware upgrade which may brick it anyway.... DJI is becoming far too problematic to deal with, now they are forcing us to upgrade the firmware. If a Phantom is flying well on an old firmware, we should be allowed to leave it as it is...
Anyone else got this problem? Is there anyway around this forced update?

Cheers in advance...

Reactions: maxheadspace
Just out of curiosity, if you tap the 'aircraft locked' message, what comes up? It may be an app update if you have never logged back into it following the bun fight earlier this year regarding accepting the new T & Cs. I have a P4 and have never heard of an aircraft locked message regarding updating FW and whilst a number of people have had issues with FW upgrades across the P4 range, most people are good with it, including me.

This is telling you that the battery needs updating, not the AC. Just tell it OK and it will update the battery. All you batteries may need updating or just the one.

This is telling you that the battery needs updating, not the AC. Just tell it OK and it will update the battery. All you batteries may need updating or just the one.
After much cursing and head banging it turned out that the controller firmware required updating (Via SD card). So I did that and fired it back up, the 'aircraft locked' message was gone and the 'ready to fly' message was up. There was the usual firmware upgrade notification for the Phantom which I continue to ignore. I'm still on the 509 firmware it originally shipped with and works well.
Cheers for the replies!

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
Bout time to upgrade to an aftermarket flight controller if they don't chill their "your drone is forever under dji control" crap...

Funny, they don't advertise that fact anywhere, dewwww they???

Bout time to upgrade to an aftermarket flight controller if they don't chill their "your drone is forever under dji control" crap...

Funny, they don't advertise that fact anywhere, dewwww they???

no, because it doesn't actually happen does it? :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl