DJI cameras are horrible

Reaction score
DJI made very good drones but the cameras are horrible..i used Phantom 4 pro but it is terrible...they used Hasselblad ( the best) but why not Canon or Fuji or Nikon...the cameras are horrible in the shadows and the pixels gives a lot of Photo Noise..the contrast is very low and working in JPEG is a drama...my question to DJI..don t made you own cameras or sensors ...camera brands as Zeiss or Minolta etcetera have more experiences

• Angry
Reactions: Rick218
DJI made very good drones but the cameras are horrible..i used Phantom 4 pro but it is terrible...they used Hasselblad ( the best) but why not Canon or Fuji or Nikon...the cameras are horrible in the shadows and the pixels gives a lot of Photo Noise..the contrast is very low and working in JPEG is a drama...my question to DJI..don t made you own cameras or sensors ...camera brands as Zeiss or Minolta etcetera have more experiences
DJI aren't here and won't see your post here.
DJI don't make camera sensors, they use Sony, like half of the camera market does.
Hasselblad wasn't involved with the Phantom 4 pro camera

Even though the Phantom 4 pro came out 5 years ago, there still isn't a better camera available on any consumer drone.
If you are getting poor results, I wouldn't automatically blame the camera.
The problem is likely to be something else.
Post a couple of examples (full size jpg files) and someone might be able to offer some guidance.
Here are some examples of the results I get with the P4 pro (and all were shot as jpg).

I like Meta4's careful approach here. The issue that Maxie has is that she simply is not an experienced photographer. I use P4P's and MP2's. I know what to expect and have learned to coax the best quality there is out of them. From experience. I never went into this expecting the DJI drones we discuss here to match the image quality of my pro level Canon full frame bodies or that of my medium format Fuji GFX100.

Sounds like it’s a you issue not DJI and like Meta said they won’t here you here go to thier forum and rant not here 👍

Yeah mate, learn how to use the manual camera setting. Clean the camera lens always helps a bit as well. Learn photo editing while you are at the drawing board.

DJI don't make camera sensors, they use Sony, like half of the camera market does.

Even though the Phantom 4 pro came out 5 years ago, there still isn't a better camera available on any consumer drone.
Post a couple of examples (full size jpg files) and someone might be able to offer some guidance.
Here are some examples of the results I get with the P4 pro (and all were shot as jpg).
Beautiful pictures but sometimes i see a lot of Photo Noise special in the shadow in the pictures with the woods

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera on my P4Pro when set up correctly with its mechanical shutter, 1inch sensor
and fstop adjustment is the best I've seen on a drone. I have captured some really nice footage.
Plus you can shoot in RAW format if you don't want jpeg for full editing features.
Hasselblad is one of the oldest camera and optics producers in the world only beaten by Zeiss.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneB
If you consider the alternative to using a 20MP 1” sensor like in the P4P and find a drone capable of carrying a professional level camera and the cost, weight, licensing, etc. associated with that system you may find the P4P acceptable for your purposes.

You mentioned that the photos lack contrast, are you shooting in DNG? They will look flat and dull straight from the SD card. They need to be processed in post to obtain the best results. Most jpeg processing in camera on any platform is usually over saturated, over sharpened, and noisy.

Reactions: dirkclod

Gorgeous pictures.

I'm willing to bet is operator error... just my opinion...

If you are use to quality photos from a Canon or Nikon, yes you will be disappointed. If you take multiple shots from a distance and photoshop, you can get decent results, like many of the pictures JeffreyS takes.
Sometimes there can be problems with the sensor being off. You will get a bad blur from one side. Sometimes it is pilot error not understanding how to use the camera settings. Could you show us an example?

I've had good luck with my P3A and P3P cameras. I started with a P1 with a GoPro, and I think the DJI camera on the P3 is every bit as good. I even appreciate the lack of microphones because all you get is motor noise anyway. I would agree that if you're having trouble, it might be with settings or software rather than the camera itself.

Awesome pics Man!

I agree. Your sample pix are comparable to what I get. My Phantom 4 Standard isn't quite as good but provided quite acceptable images for me. There is a common saying in my family... "Don't blame the tool... blame the fool". We've always translated that to mean the tool was designed to do a certain job. Don't expect it to do more. If it doesn't do what it was designed to do, then it is up to the owner to find out why and get it rectified. The tool can't do it on its own.

Reactions: alsobrook4336
I have to disagree I do understand about the shadows but that’s all in the photographer using it and I’m just an electrician but all of my friends and people that see the pictures always say wow what an amazing looking picture are you a photographer with the people I don’t know ask me, I own a phantom 4 pro Mavic pro one in the Mavic pro to all three give different pictures but all or amazingly good in their own way there are a lot of browns in the Mavic two pro you have to just tone it down in post, my only complaint with the phantom for pro is that replaced 4 shells, this time I just went to Home Depot and bought some Apoxsee glue and it’s back to normal I wish someone would make an aftermarket rubber shell that will not crack I live in Texas it’s just drains a lot of guys say they’ve never had that problem anyway this is about your post and Dji cameras yes they have their flaws but they’re also very amazing and I believe they use Sony sensors

I took this last night at sunset with my Mavic one bro hard to tell by looking through iphone But when I download this into my 27 inch Mac it is eye-popping this is my land
E4154798-0839-47C9-8A03-2846A1E373E0.jpeg

My DJI Cameras on my P4P+ and my Mavic Pro are great.
Don't know why yours are below par. Have you set them
up correctly? Or are you just looking for a $2000.00 Professional
DSLR Photo Camera ?

Jerry

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

I would question your camera "settings" as being the issue (unless by a rare chance you have a defective camera).

Reactions: lasersbee
As others have said, post some sample shots so some of the seasoned pilots that shoot with a P4P can take a look and maybe give you some tips.

I am no expert, just an amateur photographer. My current two drones are probably 2 of DJIs lowest end (Spark and P3S) but in the right lighting conditions, I have gotten some nice shots that I would not call horrible.

I also have two Nikon DSLRs (full frame/crop sensor) and an assortment of lenses that I use to shoot astrophotography, landscapes, and wildlife.

If you learn what your equipment can and can’t do and how to use it, when you are out flying your P4P you will likely get better results.

Chris

Reactions: lasersbee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan