P4P, can we squeeze 14 stops of dynamic range from a raw file?

Thanks for updating this, Tomas. I figured the mpeg might be retaining slightly less dynamic range then the jpeg, and I guess it is, though the difference is small enough to be largely inconsequential. 12 stops of dynamic range is definitely nothing to complain about, and would be hard to better -- the m4/3 sensors on the inspire x5 line probably only get you about 1 stop more if shooting in raw/prores.

It's nice to see dlog is now a useful tool again, even if it has downsides (like color compression and subsequent banding when grading) that might advocate against it's use in every circumstance.
I would say that for low-contrast scenes (say less that 6-7 stops) none ettr will probably better use the compact tonal range at the top of the spectrum. For anything else I do think dlog now is a safer bet.

I think the other potential issue with dlog is low light scenes -- I've posted about it in another thread, but even at ISO 100, dlog footage has quite noticable shadow in low light (probably because the shadows are being boosted a fair bit).

I think the other potential issue with dlog is low light scenes -- I've posted about it in another thread, but even at ISO 100, dlog footage has quite noticable shadow in low light (probably because the shadows are being boosted a fair bit).
It would be interesting to compare a lowlight scene shot at ISO 100 dlog and ISO 400 none (same shutterspeed) and see how the noise compares after aligning the tonality in post.

Yes, I'll try to film some tests along those lines next time I'm out. I suspect dlog may turn out a bit cleaner simply because of the way the DJI's video encoding seems to lead to extreme macro blocking in the shadows below 10 IRE.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94