DJI at CES - Allegedly new product to be unveiled

GoPro does indeed have exemplary customer service.....for their video cameras. Now, if and when they build a DJI-competitive, very complicated, sophisticated quadrocopter with multiple complicated interdependent electronic systems, that flies through the air many feet above the ground, subject to the whims of wind, solar storms, RF interference, and bad piloting, we'll have to see how they manage that new and significantly increased onslaught of customer service demand. That's a big and very, very expensive infrastructure that they'll have to develop. I think the customer service needs for a GoPro drone will dwarf the customer service requirements for a GoPro video camera, possibly making it not a financially feasible effort at the quoted $500-$800 price point. Certainly not if manufactured in the US.

MacCool said:
GoPro does indeed have exemplary customer service.....for their video cameras. Now, if and when they build a DJI-competitive, very complicated, sophisticated quadrocopter with multiple complicated interdependent electronic systems, that flies through the air many feet above the ground, subject to the whims of wind, solar storms, RF interference, and bad piloting, we'll have to see how they manage that new and significantly increased onslaught of customer service demand. That's a big and very, very expensive infrastructure that they'll have to develop. I think the customer service needs for a GoPro drone will dwarf the customer service requirements for a GoPro video camera, possibly making it not a financially feasible effort at the quoted $500-$800 price point. Certainly not if manufactured in the US.

What? Its a 3.6 billion dollar company. What do they care about a few hundred million to develop a new devise that opens up an entirely new avenue of uses and in an exploding new hobby and uses for professionals as well ?? I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. And where did you get the idea of a "$500-$800" price point? The PTV+ is already at $1200-+ and the Inspire is pushing $3,000-+. Safe to say GP will do their homework and blow the completion away

Prylar Bek said:
What? Its a 3.6 billion dollar company. What do they care about a few hundred million to develop a new devise that opens up an entirely new avenue of uses and in an exploding new hobby and uses for professionals as well ?? I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. And where did you get the idea of a "$500-$800" price point? The PTV+ is already at $1200-+ and the Inspire is pushing $3,000-+. Safe to say GP will do their homework and blow the completion away
The original Wall Street Journal article quoted the $500-$800 price point. CNBC reported $500-$1000 in their interview. That's some pretty slim margins, especially when you're starting a highly technological device from scratch. You have to figure in increased camera sales, and I'm sure they have. I suspect that that could make the drones a loss-leader because I think the margin on GoPro cameras is high since they really have no competition - a scenario that's not true in the drone world. I'd love to see the assumptions in their business model. I wonder how they accounted for the relatively explosive growth in the hobby drone market. I wonder how they took into account the completely unknown actions that the FAA will take when their rulings on drones are finalized in 2017. I sure wouldn't want to be the CEO responsible to the Board of Directors and shareholders for a "measly few hundred million" on a new product line that the government shortly thereafter declares illegal, or restricted enough that it hamstrings the market. The AMA, the only go-to organization for drones, already prohibits both flying FPV without a spotter, and doing aerial photography without written permission of the people and/or property owners being photographed. That whole "reasonable expectation of privacy" thing, if it gets incorporated somehow into FAA rules, could put a real damper on the drone photography market.

I think the odds are good that GoPro will come out with some kind of drone using their cameras. I don't think it's the "drop$$-in-the-bucket" chip shot that you think it is. If you and your flying buddies are willing to shell out $1200 (without camera) for a drone, you should all write GoPro. They've already have done that market research of course, but they'll be glad to hear it.

We'll know in the next 1-2 years, I suspect. Maybe rumors will clarify at CES.

I'm speaking at CES. And the WSJ has their numbers wrong. GP's as we know by themselves are in the $400-500 range So, even if they develop a drone in the $2000 range its well below and arguably better then the Inspire...and cheaper. As for GP's BOD, guaranteed they will not get in the way of an expanding marketplace. After all, the market for GP's are saturated so where do they of from here? The entire fanboy market for boarders, ski and snow and adventure type uses have been exploited. Need a new source of income and the drone marketplace is wide open. As for the FAA, they ultimately will have some 'guidelines' but they will not stand in the way of a developing market. The GOP has a say in this and they will let commerce decide. Watch GP, they will blow the lid off of this market

The difference I see is that GoPro is a(n action) photography company, and DJI is a mostly a flight-technology company.

It's certainly possible/likely that GoPro's quad would have some better photography-based quality and features (although as pointed out before, their devices are made from commercially-available sensors, it's not like another company like DJI couldn't adopt the same).

Where I think they're going to come short - at least in comparison to DJI - is anywhere that advanced flight is concerned. I realize this may not matter to the average user, who simply need to keep something in the air, and a few basic features like RTH (and probably a 'one-up' feature like 'follow me'). But I think a number of us enjoy the flight aspects of the Phantom (and Inspire), and it could feel like a downgrade in that regard.

We will see in just a few days.

Morgon said:
The difference I see is that GoPro is a(n action) photography company, and DJI is a mostly a flight-technology company.

It's certainly possible/likely that GoPro's quad would have some better quality and photography-based features (although as pointed out before, their devices are made from commercially-available sensors, it's not like another company like DJI could adopt the same).

Where I think they're going to come short - at least in comparison to DJI - is anywhere that advanced flight is concerned. I realize this may not matter to the average user, who simply need to keep something in the air, and a few basic features like RTH (and probably a 'one-up' feature like 'follow me'). But I think a number of us enjoy the flight aspects of the Phantom (and Inspire), and it could feel like a downgrade in that regard.

Your points are well taken, HOWEVER, the 'action photography' market has been tapped out. How many Gopro's have been sold to this segment? Millions? GP needs to expand their market place...e.g. The 'flight technology' segment. If I were on the GP BOD I would welcome this intrustion into this emerging market ASAP

Prylar Bek said:
If I were on the GP BOD I would welcome this intrustion into this emerging market ASAP
It certainly makes sense to investigate it, but I'm not convinced it's economically viable all things considered. IMHO, I'd also want the CEO to look hard into a partnership with DJI, and developing cameras for that already-mature platform, that already has a huge head start in the market. GoPro would have to play catch-up. That's always expensive.

MacCool said:
Prylar Bek said:
If I were on the GP BOD I would welcome this intrustion into this emerging market ASAP
It certainly makes sense to investigate it, but I'm not convinced it's economically viable all things considered. IMHO, I'd also want the CEO to look hard into a partnership with DJI, and developing cameras for that already-mature platform, that already has a huge head start in the market. GoPro would have to play catch-up. That's always expensive.[/Austell
quoteill

Ill say it again. With a market cap of $4B they need to expand their market. Logic says the aerial market. R & D in the aerial space with already exists and they can expand on would be relatively cheap. Reverse engineering for an already proven market would be most attractive

My G4 is on an airplane as we speak.
Doubt DJI will beat the pricetag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keo2aT-luGQ[/youtube]

GoPro are making a drone, now DJI release a camera mount. I can see a big commercial war on the horizon

They're basically just upside down gimbals.
I'm surprised that DJI hasn't made one until now.
Although the Zenmuse motors are not sufficient for this use. The Feiyu can handle a battery pack or LCD bacpack.
I've done 50mph with the gimbal out the window when I had the G3.

I am anxiously waiting to hear if they will release a new phantom. Im considering the phantom 2. It's cold here in New Jersey so im looking at making the purchase in March. Crossing fingers

Morgon said:

It's certainly possible/likely that GoPro's quad would have some better photography-based quality and features (although as pointed out before, their devices are made from commercially-available sensors, it's not like another company like DJI couldn't adopt the same).

It was reported today that Apple acquired Eastman Kodak's patents on a remotely controlled waterproof wearable action camera. Certainly no product announcements, but if Apple was to enter the action video camera arena, GoPro would likely have a real problem. And not just the market freefall problems they're having now. Interesting to note that that market cap we were all so impressed with has taken a significant hit just since this thread was started.

Fyod said:
My G4 is on an airplane as we speak.
Doubt DJI will beat the pricetag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keo2aT-luGQ[/youtube]
Nice. Mine is pre-ordered from B&H. It will probably be awhile until they get them.

Got mine. Its great! I seriously absolutely love it!
I had a G3 for a while and that was not as well made and the wires were a menace. Also no "upside-down" function.
The G4 does it all and I'm very pleased with the build quality.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how do we know GoPro is working on a drone at all. Was it announced or leaked someplace.
Me personally, I'm looking forward to a vision 4. The vision + camera quality and video is just fine for my use. I've seen the comparison videos as well, and the difference between GoPro and the Vision + are minimal from my perspective.

If GoPro comes up with a comparable drone, I would definitely be interested. But all things being equal right now; a Vision 4 would be great to see.

Woods said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how do we know GoPro is working on a drone at all. Was it announced or leaked someplace.
Me personally, I'm looking forward to a vision 4. The vision + camera quality and video is just fine for my use. I've seen the comparison videos as well, and the difference between GoPro and the Vision + are minimal from my perspective.

If GoPro comes up with a comparable drone, I would definitely be interested. But all things being equal right now; a Vision 4 would be great to see.

Not announced by anyone. Nothing official. Rumor and innuendo only, reported as such by WSJ and picked up by a few other news outlets. If a GoPro drone was imminent, I would have expected either an announcement, or a more detailed leak at CES. I have mentioned it before. If I was Nick Woodman, I would want to be VERY cautious about committing my company to a complicated and troublesome product line in this f'ed up regulatory environment. Drone photography would be a GREAT way to sell GoPro cameras, but it's also a MAJOR target for every privacy-paranoiac out there, and state/local legislation, not to mention impending FAA regulation, is coming up almost every day.

MacCool said:
Woods said:

Not announced by anyone. Nothing official. Rumor and innuendo only, reported as such by WSJ and picked up by a few other news outlets. If a GoPro drone was imminent, I would have expected either an announcement, or a more detailed leak at CES. I have mentioned it before. If I was Nick Woodman, I would want to be VERY cautious about committing my company to a complicated and troublesome product line in this f'ed up regulatory environment. Drone photography would be a GREAT way to sell GoPro cameras, but it's also a MAJOR target for every privacy-paranoiac out there, and state/local legislation, not to mention impending FAA regulation, is coming up almost every day.

Yeah... I think I'll just sell off all my Multi-rotors and go back to a safer, less contentious hobby. Like collecting, reloading and shooting firearms... :roll: :D

-slinger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav