DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

is it ok to scale this down so 2 can fit with the antennas both vertical and parallel? I printed 1 set at actual size and one at 69%. I read on freeantennas.com that this can be scaled to any size..... should I have made the antenna taller like the guy above who 3d printed it?

Yes you can custom make it. I would recommend making it taller to back the entire or most of the length of the antenna for optimal boost.

oyyy, I wish I would have known that before I made the small one. Ohh well, I guess I will make another the length of the antenna... I thought the dimensions were fixed, but I guess you can make it as tall as you need.... How do you determine the focal point for 2.4ghz? Or does it even matter at all, since even light goes to the same focal point?

Could I also use the same parabolic curve but increase the section of circumference so it will be even more focused, or is that a waste?

If you want to scale it up/down, I suggest to keep the curve and focal point as mentioned earlier.

Taller reflector would not help (but no harm) if it's a dual band PCB antenna per my speculation earlier. Anybody (or any chance) to break up the antenna and take a look inside?

Personally, I prefer setting up the antenna slightly outward (~20 degree). For MIMO system, keep antennas more than 1 wavelength apart may help to improve diversity gain.

Last edited:
Wow, the 3D print looks great. You may consider to curve the reflectors a bit more and adjust proper distance between antenna and reflector for optimal performance. In general, I would adjust the distance between P2 and F to 1/4 wavelength (~31mm) of 2.4GHz wavelength (~125mm).

800px-Parabola_with_focus_and_arbitrary_line.svg.png
what is the measurement for Q2?

Yup, reflector design, shape, dimensions and other physical properties/ratios are important here as PVF has noted.
This is why I believe some have had success and others haven't.

Bigger is not always better.

Can we use foil tape (AC duct tape) in lieu of the glued tinfoil? Would there be any performance degradation in doing so? Wouldn't think so but wonder if anyone has tested both ways.

Thanks.

What are the stats (heigh / distance) - it's too small to read in the screen shot.

well suns out and got time for a quick run..(hate doing distance flights inner city) here a pic ...still had great video ...transmitter was weak because I had to take my hands off the controller to take picture and I turned away from phantom...but was strong until that.. I'm just scared to go far inner city & had no LOS the whole time so I turned around. can someone tell me how to get stats on video taken from phantom? haven't had time to look into do it. View attachment 24819

I'll go till it cuts out when I'm out of the city.

what is the measurement for Q2?

The illustration provided earlier is showing focal point only. In other words each wave (Q) arrives at the same point regardless of where it strikes the reflector.
P1-3 are different distances for the same reason. (This has nothing to do with frequency (wavelength).

Improper focus will reduce efficiency and gain as some signals will interfere (out of phase, add or subtract) with each other.

The parabola designer should be able to calculate the focal point if his/her design. In other words how far to place the antenna in front of the back of the parabola.

Reactions: PVFlyer
I see the ant. pics too.

Cool.

A PCB (as one other member speculated previously).

This means they are directional (flat sides radiate) and likely have about 3-4 dB gain.

I see the ant. pics too.

Cool.

A PCB (as one other member speculated previously).

This means they are directional (flat sides radiate) and likely have about 3-4 dB gain.
Based on the shape of antenna, it seems omni-directional like most of PCB antenna in notebooks or USB Wifi adapters.

Based on the shape of antenna, it seems omni-directional like most of PCB antenna in notebooks or USB Wifi adapters.

Looking at the photos of the pcb boards, is the wifi antenna the serpentine circuit? Trying to identify the sweet spot on the RC antennae, so as to center windsurfer antenna around that point for max gain.

in the dbs mods video tutorial, you can also see what the antenna looks like. you can actually see the pcb trace of the antenna, although its from an inspire, it should likely be the same for p3...
antenna runs the full length pretty much...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4