DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Will this help in penetrating trees?
From my house I can get just under 2000' at 400'Attitude due to trees.
LOS i got 5k

I built these last night at tested it this morning. I was at my local park where I do most of my flying so I know well the range I can get there. My house is about 1700 feet from the park and that is typically where I start to lose signal. Today I flew past my house and just kept on flying. Over another neighborhood and then over farm land. I started to get really nervous as I passed 4000 feet as I was now almost double my previous best distance. The signal was still strong so I kept going. I finally started to loose signal around 5200 feet. I felt that was good enough for me and so turned around and brought the bird home.

I am VERY impressed by how much a very simple and nearly free modification impacted my range.

Here is the video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Aluminum to the back sode or the front side
Im confused between the 1st video and the last one ,
Please confirm

Will this help in penetrating trees?
From my house I can get just under 2000' at 400'Attitude due to trees.
LOS i got 5k

It may help a bit, but it is not increasing power output so things like trees and buildings will still degrade performance. Works best in clean line of sight situations where you can point the antenna directly at the bird.

Try it and see. They cost pennies to make. If they don't work you can turn them into Christmas ornaments.

Aluminum to the back sode or the front side
Im confused between the 1st video and the last one ,
Please confirm

I don't think it matters really. It is the aluminum that is reflecting the signal and the cardboard is just holding it to shape. The signal will go right through the cardboard and reflect off the aluminum. I put mine in front just because. I wonder if thicker aluminum would work better, or other materials like copper?

image.jpg
I don't think it matters really. It is the aluminum that is reflecting the signal and the cardboard is just holding it to shape. The signal will go right through the cardboard and reflect off the aluminum. I put mine in front just because. I wonder if thicker aluminum would work better, or other materials like copper?

I used thick aluminium foil from Weber BBQ trays :)

Reactions: Farmer
I used a low-end SWR meter to test my DIY LHCP helical back to 2013 for Phantom 2 Vision. I got a perfect 1.05 SWR, but the range test result is about the same as SWR 2.5:1.
That's why my test was with a field strength meter, no way to hook the OEM antennas up in-line for a true reading, now if you have mod'ed your controller with external antennas then you can do that. I have made a good set of these and made a place for them in my case just in case I need to go way out, but 99% of the time the stock 1-2 miles is plenty for the way I fly. One reason I upgraded to the P3 was to get rid of the need to modify both the controller and P2 antennas just to get out to 3000'

I am really surprised , that is amazing idea, the inventor for that one should work on DJI :).
Today i fly more than 3000
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436726345.727136.jpg

Maybe these things are having a placebo effect on me but I just flew almost 14700 ft before the app told me to turn around because I had hit the 50% battery mark.

So who is going to be the first to 3D print something similar? I think the braces (logo part) could be printed and opened up so it's not blocking about an inch of the antenna. Come up with a good design and I'll buy a pair.

So far, the mod has only garnered me an addition ~320'....from 4800' to 5120'....but I will keep testing.

The beauty of this DIY booster (9 dBi) is no antenna mods required. You can install or remove the booster within seconds on Phantom 3 remote controller. It is cheap (cost almost nothing) and easier than any antenna mod without the hassles and risks of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, pigtail cable and drilling holes on RC. It's widely used in RC hobby and Wi-Fi router for years.

Video shows how it works improving both RC and HD video signal

We pick 9 dBi is mainly due to the size fitting well on Phantom 3 remote controller and with reasonable beamwidth for easy aiming the Phantom.
11692518_602542766515200_7949220182246705745_n.jpg

A modified PDF template for Phantom 3 antenna available for download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EvPgvmsFJlcVZ3QU5BZlFkVkk/view?usp=sharing

RC signal dropping to "53" and HD video signal to "11" at 2.5km range
11667254_602542859848524_3981618665211656565_n.png

RC signal improving to "93" and HD video signal to "56" after antenna booster installed
11659298_602543109848499_8443119314086277200_n.png

• Material required: card paper, aluminum foil (or aluminum/copper tape)

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape (I use double tape to stick aluminium foil onto card paper)

• DIY steps:
1. Print 2 copies of the PDF template on A4/Letter size paper (or direct on card paper if your printer support) from the above download link
2. Use common sense and follow the steps below
3. https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/

Very nice, and it does not break warranty!

So who is going to be the first to 3D print something similar? I think the braces (logo part) could be printed and opened up so it's not blocking about an inch of the antenna. Come up with a good design and I'll buy a pair.

If you guys think there is a need I can..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic