Diversifying makes for a busy week...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

It's funny...when I first started this business, everybody, including myself, instantly thought "real estate" would be the perfect market for these drone things. Years later I find it ironic that the residential real estate market is actually the worst market ever...with commercial real estate running a close second. Occasionally, I'll do a commercial real estate job if I've got nothing else going on, but I tell ya...those people kill me. I'm thinking about cutting that market out altogether.

Real estate agents are notoriously poor communicators (can take days to respond to email - and even then they only read the first 2 sentences if you're lucky). They want all the latest tech, but are completely technically inept. One days it's, "Can you deliver the photos digitally???" And the next day it's, "How do I use this Google Drive thing???" And then three days later, "Can you put those photos back on the cloud?" And then 6 days later it's, "Can you put those photos back on the cloud AGAIN???" I hate having to explain to clients that I'm not an archive vault for their media files. ARGH! All this for a lousy $150....that took 5 emails to collect...ugh.... I'm glad I don't count on this market for my drone revenue....though it DOES give me an opportunity to dust off the ol' Mavic Pro. So there's that.

On the menu for THIS week:

Saturday (Today): Construction progress video (Inspire 1)
Monday: Mapping (P4P)
Tuesday: Traffic analysis (P4P)
Wednesday: Traffic analysis (P4P)
Thursday: Traffic analysis (P4P)

NO real estate. All work I enjoy for decent pay. Gonna be a good week.

D

Yeah it's important to open your eyes to other opportunities that are out there. I initially thought about golf courses, then a realtor called me and opened up that world. From there it grew into inspections, oil and gas, mapping, etc etc etc. Be open to what the client wants, and find a way to make it happen!

I did a lot of contract video work in the early 70's. I know what you are feeling. I started out with 1" real to reel, then I thought 1" cassette was great. I did some nice seminar with some major Doctors of the time. I also contracted myself to other companies for special events. I did PGA tournaments on Hilton Head. Got to meet many of the pros. Life is an adventure.

Reactions: Harleydude
Business was good way back in the day, like 6 whole months ago, when I would either subcontract out aerial services or rent a helicopter. Now I have so much aerial work that I'm actually turning some of that business away (unless it's an existing client). Most of it ties into the commercial and architectural work that I'm already "established" in. By far one of my top 5 business decisions :)

Hey doods!

It's funny...when I first started this business, everybody, including myself, instantly thought "real estate" would be the perfect market for these drone things. Years later I find it ironic that the residential real estate market is actually the worst market ever...with commercial real estate running a close second. Occasionally, I'll do a commercial real estate job if I've got nothing else going on, but I tell ya...those people kill me. I'm thinking about cutting that market out altogether.

Real estate agents are notoriously poor communicators (can take days to respond to email - and even then they only read the first 2 sentences if you're lucky). They want all the latest tech, but are completely technically inept. One days it's, "Can you deliver the photos digitally???" And the next day it's, "How do I use this Google Drive thing???" And then three days later, "Can you put those photos back on the cloud?" And then 6 days later it's, "Can you put those photos back on the cloud AGAIN???" I hate having to explain to clients that I'm not an archive vault for their media files. ARGH! All this for a lousy $150....that took 5 emails to collect...ugh.... I'm glad I don't count on this market for my drone revenue....though it DOES give me an opportunity to dust off the ol' Mavic Pro. So there's that.

On the menu for THIS week:

Saturday (Today): Construction progress video (Inspire 1)
Monday: Mapping (P4P)
Tuesday: Traffic analysis (P4P)
Wednesday: Traffic analysis (P4P)
Thursday: Traffic analysis (P4P)

NO real estate. All work I enjoy for decent pay. Gonna be a good week.

D

We have sold thousands of Wet Suits for both the Phantom and the Mavic and we learned right away that most drone operators were way off the mark of how drones our being used to make money.

Here is what I have learned from our clients , waiting on someone to call you to use your drone is not going to keep you in business.

Letting everyone in city know you have a drone is not going to do it either ,
the key is to understand you have a very powerful tool and the money is made when you can show
a small business how they can use the drone.

Every business needs Traffic Analysis they just dont know it yet , but I have a feeling once you crack this open they will.

Just of the Cuff here our some ideas to be creative with your approach.
- in the rain
- In the snow
- on a holiday
- traffic back up
- where to put a sign
- where to put a driveway
- building perimeter
- vegetation growth
- abandoned parking lots/ Fence Perimeters
- abandoned fields
- rate of police in the area
- rate of fire in the area
- rate of walking traffic
- school traffic
- competition in the area
- best time to leave

If your a small business , getting this right can make or break you.

Cool part is you only need one of these things to register with your client
to book that gig.

Next on the list if you have any is Farmers.

There list is different but you get the idea :

Expand the horizons of what problems Farmers have and let them know
how you can help them. Most farmer our older and can use the help.

Make your list and good luck with this as its a huge market if you can show them how you can help.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in and out of the Storm.
Coal

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Sartin
Business was good way back in the day, like 6 whole months ago, when I would either subcontract out aerial services or rent a helicopter. Now I have so much aerial work that I'm actually turning some of that business away (unless it's an existing client). Most of it ties into the commercial and architectural work that I'm already "established" in. By far one of my top 5 business decisions :)

We should brain storm sometime. I don't have anyone in your area to send "leads" to. Might be a good opportunity to "Network" some. I'm close enough to get leads to your area but it's just too far of a drive to make it worth while unless I can "stack" several projects up to make it worth while.

We should brain storm sometime. I don't have anyone in your area to send "leads" to. Might be a good opportunity to "Network" some. I'm close enough to get leads to your area but it's just too far of a drive to make it worth while unless I can "stack" several projects up to make it worth while.
We should do that!

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20