question for commercial pilots

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm an FAA 107 commercial drone pilot, I mainly fly for hobby but occasionally take real estate photos for realtors.
Recently I was contacted by a construction company asking for photos every week of a site. The only issue is the site is one mile from an airport. The airport is Class E with a floor of 700' so Class G where I'll be. Even though I'm technically allowed to fly there, I turned the job down as I don't want to risk any issues with air traffic.
I visited the site for about 30 minutes and when I got there skydivers landed at the airport and as I left a plane flew directly over at low attitude, then circled around and landed.
Obviously I feel it's not a good idea to have a drone out there, but I'm just curious what other commercial drone pilots would do? Thanks!

Last edited:
Obviously I feel it's not a good idea to have a drone out there
If you don't feel it's a good idea to do it, then you probably shouldn't - but somebody will do it, so there will be a drone out there.

If carefully planned, meticulously executed, with at least one VO, at a time of day/day of the week when there is likely a minimum of air traffic (early Sunday morning comes to mind), and with the proper liability insurance and clearances, seems to me it's doable.

But then again I don't know where it is, what kind of visibility there is onsite, or any other pertinent details.

Take care out there :)

Reactions: MTO and dronesky
Maybe there are times when you could get in safely early morning perhaps as umanbean stated someone will do the job but if you don't think it's safe don't do it that's how i would do

Welcome to the forum :)

If you're not comfortable then you did the right thing. Operating on/near an airport is a stressful endeavor and you need to be proficient and be on your A-Game.

For the record, if I were doing this I would reach out to the controlling facility (ATC etc) and let them know when, where, and how long I'll be operating so that we are all playing from the same page.

I have job similar to yours, I’m going to do it. I’m going to try and contact the airport and let them know I’ll be there and be very vigilant... my job is once and done and I can well under 400’
8BB1EFDA-3D7B-42AB-94BD-176A5540EFB3.jpeg
3A3C9744-E267-42FE-8131-BD6712C58D25.png

Reactions: MTO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen