Distance Runs With 4 Pro And 3 Pro

I think I've read the screen glitches is the channel hopping while in auto. There's a momentary black screen when the channel changes. I haven't pushed distance much past 2,300 feet- short range I know lol. But I do use windsurfers and I've found that old habits die hard. I use 2.4 custom channel 13 and 4mps. It just never fails me. I'm gonna bump up to 6mps though for a little better looking live feed, considering I don't push distance. I'm gonna give 5.8 another shot too. The very first time I tried it I got a disconnect warning within 200' from me and it spooked me so I went back to my tried and true 2.4. Regardless though, I always prefer custom channel to avoid screen glitches of any kind.

My friend who has the P4 (original) has those glitches so bad, that the GO4 goes back to the Home Screen. I'll try and set his radio to "Custom" and see if that helps. Should be interesting.

Thanks To All For Your Comments, Thoughts, And Ideas. Wish You A Great Sunday And Happy Flying.

Oh yeah, distance runs are quite fun along the coastline. If you have a Google account you can see some of my notes about various Palos Verdes Peninsula flight sites I frequent, HERE. Click each pinpoint to see my notes. HERE's a few more So. Calif spots I've flown.
John... Good Morning... I clicked on your links... they both say I need permission. Clicking on ask for permission did nothing. The second link brought a map asking for permission, the first did not show a map.

No, you misunderstand. The P4P ROCKS on 5.8Ghz with stock RC, using windsurfer. Just try it, and keep a LOS connection. It's better than P3P, but you've gotta use 5.8Ghz. Forget conventional wisdom on 5.8, just try it. Use the windsurfer and go 4 miles! You can't use the old Lightbridge RCs with the new P4P, it's a different bread, just like the Ocu-Sync on the Mavic is a different breed. However you don't need old RC's with P4P, just use 5.8Ghz AUTO with the stock RC and be happy, it truly rocks. However be careful with firmware updates. Never update until you're absolutely sure you HAVE TO. Don't fix what's not broke. You never know when DJI's going to do something you don't like.
Hey John, im a newbie, less than a month, whats the LO S connection? is this something thst could get me in trouble if i loose it? i have a p4p plus. Because of the trees, i can only go about a half mile. i think a mile would satisfy me for a long time.
i plan to try your 5.8 when it cools off this evening.
if i loose signal( usually video) is it gona rth the same with 5.8 as it did with 2.8?
I apologize if these are dumb questions.

Last edited:
LOS = line of site. If trees get in the way and potentially break the signal from your remote antennas to the bird- and that will happen no matter 2.4 or 5.8- then you've lost LOS between the two and you'll have problems. Gaining altitude can help depending on the situation but almost always, you don't want a tree line between the remote and the bird. VLOS= visual line of site. You can lose visual site of the bird (and you will at distance) but still have LOS between the remote and the bird and be fine. But it's not recommended you attempt such things at any skill level unless you can mitigate the risk substantially, such as using a spotter(s) and flying over sparsely populated land or the ocean. Otherwise keep it safe and avoid distance flying.

Last edited:
My friend who has the P4 (original) has those glitches so bad, that the GO4 goes back to the Home Screen. I'll try and set his radio to "Custom" and see if that helps. Should be interesting.
What tablet? For the best shot at the app running well, I always disable video caching and use custom channel so I can drop the live feed bit rate to lowest so it eases the strain on the tablet. I don't care if my live feed is low res, but that's me. I use an air 2 btw. Love it. I just tried a flight with android on my phone - hate the android app.

For what it is worth, I got 16,407 ft (3.1 miles) out of a stock P4 and controller with just wind surfers. At about the time I hit 3 miles I got the message that there was only enough battery to RTH and chickened out. Had over 20 percent battery when I got back. I don't regularly fly outside VLOS, but on occasion, in an isolated area, will check out capabilities.

What tablet? For the best shot at the app running well, I always disable video caching and use custom channel so I can drop the live feed bit rate to lowest so it eases the strain on the tablet. I don't care if my live feed is low res, but that's me. I use an air 2 btw. Love it. I just tried a flight with android on my phone - hate the android app.
He has a K1 Shield (Android).

When you pick CUSTOM.... how do you pick your channel. What is the best channel when you are on the ground may not be the best channel at altitude and at a distance away.

When you pick CUSTOM.... how do you pick your channel. What is the best channel when you are on the ground may not be the best channel at altitude and at a distance away.
I just pick the highest channel. With my P3, I have the 32 channel hack and it's easy to pick a high channel such as 31 which has nothing going on ever. I don't have the hack in the go4 app so I just pick the highest channel. Sometimes I do get a warning on startup about poor channel quality but I've never encountered an actual issue. And I tend to believe that once you're at 200' or so up, channel noise is even less of an issue up there. If bit rate could be changed in auto channel select, I would use that for sure. But it can't so I don't. Lowering the bit rate for me has proven to be a key part of keeping a problem free live feed at all times. You should be able to adjust it manually even in the auto channels setting. I don't like relying on anything auto when it comes to dji, especially. Ymmv.

I just pick the highest channel. With my P3, I have the 32 channel hack and it's easy to pick a high channel such as 31 which has nothing going on ever. I don't have the hack in the go4 app so I just pick the highest channel. Sometimes I do get a warning on startup about poor channel quality but I've never encountered an actual issue. And I tend to believe that once you're at 200' or so up, channel noise is even less of an issue up there. If bit rate could be changed in auto channel select, I would use that for sure. But it can't so I don't. Lowering the bit rate for me has proven to be a key part of keeping a problem free live feed at all times. You should be able to adjust it manually even in the auto channels setting. I don't like relying on anything auto when it comes to dji, especially. Ymmv.
Hi shockwave... Is it possible to perform the 32 channel hack on the 4Pro ?? Or it can't be done because of the 2 frequency's. Sorry, I am pretty "radio dumb" when it come to that kind of stuff. (And) thanks for your comments and thoughts !!

I think there's a thread on that. Not sure of the answer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl