Distance Runs With 4 Pro And 3 Pro

Reaction score
I went out tonight to see how far I could coax my few weeks old Phantom 4 Pro to travel. Being as my plan was to compare with my Phantom 3 Pro I set the 4's frequency to 2.4 auto. Of course same flight plan for each bird.

The Results...

The 3 Pro 9,301 feet. The 4 Pro 9,816 feet

The 3 Pro went first, and had a strong signal all the way to approx 7,000 feet after which I adjusted the antennas for strongest signal when necessary. At 9,301 ft It was pretty clear to me this was the end of the line, and not to push my luck I turned around.

The 4 Pro signal got very weak about the 5,000 foot mark and actually "disconnected" displayed on my iPad. It was too soon for me to "test" the Auto RTH so I immediately flipped the bird around to head for home. As I started the return trip I noticed both signals had dramatically gotten stronger! I decided to continue to test the bird's limit, and flew the backwards for the remainder of the outbound trip. As with the Phantom 3, I adjusted the antenna's position when the signal got weak. Flying backwards, and adjusting the antenna's I managed to go 9,816 feet. At some point along the way I had decided to stop, regardless of signal strength, at 10,000 feet. However, at 9,816 ft. the signal wasn't getting any better by manipulating the antennas, so I hit the RTH.

Observations....

The Phantom 4's signal got weaker sooner, but by flying backwards,I was able to fly another 4800 feet, to 9,816... 500 ft further than the Phantom 3. The 4's signal got weaker sooner, but the bird flew further. Hmmmm....

After pressing the Phantom 4's RTH, the transition to returning, was seeming instantaneous. Compared to the Phantom 3 which sometimes seemed like minutes went by after pressing RTH.

I never lost video with the Phantom 4. I always saw what was going on. Compared to the Phantom 3 which previously sometimes had a black screen for minutes at a time and I had no clue as to if the bird flew to earth, was flying away, or actually returning.

Questions...

Did DJI move the Phantom 4 Pro's antenna's to the front legs, or possibly a different place all together. Why else would a weak signal get stronger after the bird turned around ??

If they did move the antenna's did they move one or both frequency's ?

Next trip out I plan more testing and would like to take videos.... Will taking videos weaken the control signal or change anything. I do know to turn the videos down to 720.

Thanks for reading.. As always I am interested in your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit: To be clear... The Phantom 3 Antenna's were screw on non powered Omni... The Phantom 4's antenna's were factory stock.

Last edited:
You should try 5.8Ghz AUTO on your next flight, from a hill. It works much better, easily go 4 miles in town with a Windsurfer, you're limited only by battery. 2.4Ghz sucks, the same as P4 using 2.4Ghz. My P3P would perform much better with 2.4Ghz, and the reason is the GL300C (P4) RC transmit power was reduced compared to the P3P GL300A. The P4 controller GL300C was detuned by DJI in comparison to the P3P GL300A, and the measurements prove it.

Last edited:
You should try 5.8Ghz AUTO on your next flight, from a hill. It works much better, easily go 4 miles in town with a Windsurfer, you're limited only by battery. 2.4Ghz sucks, the same as P4 using 2.4Ghz. My P3P would perform much better with 2.4Ghz, and the reason is the GL300C (P4) RC transmit power was reduced compared to the P3P GL300A. The P4 controller GL300C was detuned by DJI in comparison to the P3P GL300A, and the measurements prove it.

Interesting... I did not know DJI cut the power AGAIN on the P4. My original P3 came with a GL300C... but I managed to find a new GL300B on ebay for cheap. Don't think the seller knew what he actually had. I wish I could use the GL300A or B controller, or a 658, but the 4 Pro uses a GL300F. Probably because it has 2 frequency's. So I guess I'm stuck with using the F model and using amps on the antennas.

I was using 5.8 Auto for the first few weeks on the 4 Pro, but switched to 2.4 to compare to the P3. Even with 5.8 Auto I was loosing signal at around 5,000 feet. Weird ! I will try tomorow with the P4 set on 5.8 Auto. Also at some point will be trying the MaxUAV and the "paddles" on the P3.

Last edited:
Reactions: impurenergy
John... If I would have known about the power cutting on the Pro I would have purchased the original P4.... Using the GL300A, B, or 658 more power and a LOT less $$$ !! :mad:

Last edited:
Wow.. It all makes sense now. That's why my friends P4 can fly further than my P4 Pro. So, if I get what you're saying... My GL300B with screw on paddles or the maxxuav will fly my friends P4 ??

John... If I would have known about the power cutting on the Pro I would have purchased the original P4.... Using the GL300A, B, or 658 more power and a LOT less $$$ !! :mad:

No, you misunderstand. The P4P ROCKS on 5.8Ghz with stock RC, using windsurfer. Just try it, and keep a LOS connection. It's better than P3P, but you've gotta use 5.8Ghz. Forget conventional wisdom on 5.8, just try it. Use the windsurfer and go 4 miles! You can't use the old Lightbridge RCs with the new P4P, it's a different bread, just like the Ocu-Sync on the Mavic is a different breed. However you don't need old RC's with P4P, just use 5.8Ghz AUTO with the stock RC and be happy, it truly rocks. However be careful with firmware updates. Never update until you're absolutely sure you HAVE TO. Don't fix what's not broke. You never know when DJI's going to do something you don't like.

Wow.. It all makes sense now. That's why my friends P4 can fly further than my P4 Pro. So, if I get what you're saying... My GL300B with screw on paddles or the maxxuav will fly my friends P4 ??
Yes, GL300B and A will fly P4 craft. The best IMO is GL658A or C (Inpire 1 RC) to fly P4 craft.

No, you misunderstand. The P4P ROCKS on 5.8Ghz with stock RC, using windsurfer. Just try it, and keep a LOS connection. It's better than P3P, but you've gotta use 5.8Ghz. Forget conventional wisdom on 5.8, just try it. Use the windsurfer and go 4 miles! You can't use the old Lightbridge RCs with the new P4P, it's a different bread, just like the Ocu-Sync on the Mavic is a different breed. However you don't need old RC's with P4P, just use 5.8Ghz AUTO with the stock RC and be happy, it truly rocks. However be careful with firmware updates. Never update until you're absolutely sure you HAVE TO. Don't fix what's not broke. You never know when DJI's going to do something you don't like.
OK... Gotcha... I did misunderstand... Not the first.. and won't be the last !!! Tomorrow I will try LOS and 5.8 Auto... Thanks.. and Good Night !!!

John... I haven't forgotten you... I haven't had a chance to get out... have had rain here 2 days in a row... Saturday afternoon/evening looks good however :)

Always Sunny.... I would like that (and NO cold weather). I'm in South Jersey.
John, take care. Wish you a relaxing weekend.

Yup.... Nice Place. I See You Are Not Far From The Pacific. Have You Ever Gone There And Flown ?

Yup.... Nice Place. I See You Are Not Far From The Pacific. Have You Ever Gone There And Flown ?
Oh yeah, distance runs are quite fun along the coastline. If you have a Google account you can see some of my notes about various Palos Verdes Peninsula flight sites I frequent, HERE. Click each pinpoint to see my notes. HERE's a few more So. Calif spots I've flown.

Last edited:
Hi John... Went out this evening and used 5.8 Auto. You were right, and I didn't have to fly backwards !!! We rocked and rolled to 11,858 ft as compared to 9,816 ft with 2.4. So, another 2,000 ft or so. I wish I could get a good LOS... it's really hard in South Jersey, near Philly to do that. I'm going to up my altitude to exactly 400 ft (122m).... right now I'm maxed out at 393 (120 m). Maybe I'll 'cheat' and stand on top of my car :eek:. Talk later. Cheers !

EDIT: John.... I FORGOT to use the windsurfer !!!!!

Last edited:
You kept it on auto channel? Any glitches? The only thing I don't like about auto channel is that you can't drop the bit rate. I like a lower bit rate to keep things smooth and happy.

You kept it on auto channel? Any glitches? The only thing I don't like about auto channel is that you can't drop the bit rate. I like a lower bit rate to keep things smooth and happy.
I had a few, maybe 2 or 3 during the entire round trip, where the screen went black for a second. It was like a black window that slid down the screen. Don't know how else to explain it. But, then, as I said, the screen came right back. Yes, I would like to turn down the bit rate also. I'm new to Apple and iPad's so I haven't seen the option to adjust the bit rate when on manual. I'll have to look for it.

Hi John... Went out this evening and used 5.8 Auto. You were right, and I didn't have to fly backwards !!! We rocked and rolled to 11,858 ft as compared to 9,816 ft with 2.4. So, another 2,000 ft or so. I wish I could get a good LOS... it's really hard in South Jersey, near Philly to do that. I'm going to up my altitude to exactly 400 ft (122m).... right now I'm maxed out at 393 (120 m). Maybe I'll 'cheat' and stand on top of my car :eek:. Talk later. Cheers !

EDIT: John.... I FORGOT to use the windsurfer !!!!!
The windsurfer should push you another mile, easy, with clear LOS of course.

I had a few, maybe 2 or 3 during the entire round trip, where the screen went black for a second. It was like a black window that slid down the screen. Don't know how else to explain it. But, then, as I said, the screen came right back. Yes, I would like to turn down the bit rate also. I'm new to Apple and iPad's so I haven't seen the option to adjust the bit rate when on manual. I'll have to look for it.
Yes, on manual you can adjust the bit rate down to 4mbps and it should have less glitches in the video feed. That's what I use to do with my P4 on 2.4Ghz (Inspire RC). I believe the glitches you see are the radio changing bitrate, since it's on auto.

I think I've read the screen glitches is the channel hopping while in auto. There's a momentary black screen when the channel changes. I haven't pushed distance much past 2,300 feet- short range I know lol. But I do use windsurfers and I've found that old habits die hard. I use 2.4 custom channel 13 and 4mps. It just never fails me. I'm gonna bump up to 6mps though for a little better looking live feed, considering I don't push distance. I'm gonna give 5.8 another shot too. The very first time I tried it I got a disconnect warning within 200' from me and it spooked me so I went back to my tried and true 2.4. Regardless though, I always prefer custom channel to avoid screen glitches of any kind.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik