Disposing of DJI lipos

Reaction score
Well, I have four DJI lipos that have pooped the bed after roughly 30 flights each. My retailer (B&H) will not take them back because it has been more than 30 days. I have discharged them as much as I can. What do I do with them now?

I'm also interested in an answer. The batteries themselves should be in fine shape for many more cycles but the Phantom Software is just too restrictive on voltage levels during discharge (for better or worse). Maybe you can find someone to buy them off of eBay to re-purpose them. They should work great for RC cars still for another 300+ cycles.

Best Buy has a drop box for depleted batteries

Use a container filled with salt water, then put the lipo in for a few hours. That will deactivate the battery and safe for disposal. But by disposal, I mean taking it to the right recycle place, not just throw it out in the trash.

+1 for Best Buy. Take it there and place it in the bin at the entrance in a fire-safe bag if possible.

Keep them.
It will be good for hacking. Someone will eventually have a $2 hack that will allow you to use an alternative battery.

I don't want to sound like a terrorist, but I would love to attach a letter to the battery and brick it through DJI's window. They should reconsider a warranty where they look at the number of cycles (limit the warranty to 2 years). Nothing worst then having a 6 month winter only to find out that your battery is out of warranty in spring.

It's even worse when you invest in 5 DJI OEM Batteries and cycle through them (the more batteries you have, the less charge cycle per battery). And then have 4 fail on you roughly the same time after the warranty has expired.

Jacob said:
+1 for Best Buy. Take it there and place it in the bin at the entrance in a fire-safe bag if possible.

perfectly good recommendation, just throwing it out there that home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes also have heavy-duty battery drop boxes if that winds up being more convenient than a BB

I'd try to sell them on eBay... I had one that was toast from a water crash that sold on eBay for over $50. I advertised as-is water crash. I don't know if I was lucky to get over $50 or not, but there is some value left in them. I wouldn't just recycle them for free.

Chris

crgonyar said:
I'd try to sell them on eBay... I had one that was toast from a water crash that sold on eBay for over $50. I advertised as-is water crash. I don't know if I was lucky to get over $50 or not, but there is some value left in them. I wouldn't just recycle them for free.

Chris
I sale on e bay and also recycle PC scrap for the gold but not sure what you would get out of them . E bay gonna get ya for 10 % of what ya sell it for then PayPal gonna get 2 1/2 % and then ya got shipping to add in .
Do a search for them and see if anyone else is selling bad batteries there and you'll see if that's even an option .
I would think it is not but gonna look just to see ;)

IflyinWY said:
http://oes.tamu.edu/web/guidelines/battery/LiPo%20Procedures.pdf

Lots of great battery info here. Page 3 for disposal procedures. :D
That's a good read and didn't know a lot of that !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31