Disappointed with FPV

melenco4 said:
Seems a bit too easy to get the 640x480x15fps has anyone else installed this and it's working?
Was nothing easy, first i tryed to install an uncracked ipa file, by jailbreaking my ipod touch 5s ios 7.1, did'nt work it was asking for itunes password and crashing. Then i found this cracked ipa file, installed it and it worked, got my compass rose back working, the pitch, roll and yaw show on the app now, and 640x480x15fps seem to work also. Took me a couple hours...Now my next plan is installing an 3rd party range extender instead of the re500, re700, im still strugling, was able to get 3 sec of fpv yesterday but it crashed after...

To hell with it. Just ordered an RE700 for £90 to get better range and my higher res FPV back! The hassle free route

My P2V with RE500 mostly works at 640x480 15fps again since upgrading to v3.06. I say "mostly" because the video did freeze up after one Ground Station flight that took it out of FPV range. I landed and power cycled the camera and had FPV again. Other than that, I've done 3 flights on v3.06 with 640x480 15fps. I first tried 640x480 30 fps and it froze up almost immediately.

pencilcoil said:
To hell with it. Just ordered an RE700 for £90 to get better range and my higher res FPV back! The hassle free route
This will NOT give you, higher res FPV...The reason the 480p FPV is gone, I believe is the same reason we have no more compass rose, and roll indication on the app. Phantom 2 Vision+ incompatibility of with those features,, changing the Range extender will still keep the camera a FC200, you'll get greater range but no improvement in resolution unless this was fixed in last app realease...

It might, actually. Just learned the other week that the Vision camera and the Vision+ camera have the same internals. As do the Vision and Vision+ platform. So, largely, the only difference is the gimbal... and the range extender. Owing that the RE500, with it's lower range and spectrum, might actually be the data bottleneck preventing higher resolution... moving to the RE700 might give you better FPV.
It's a long shot, but who knows. Pencilcoil can report back when he gets set up. ;-)

isopro, I tried that ipa and it just kept saying installing over and over but never worked for me ....kinda sucks ..so I updated to the newest ios app and I have 640x480 15 and 30 but ...uhh yeah insta freeze on both LOL not sure what to do at this point..

I had a very very helpful official UK DJI dealer test the RE 700 on their vision for me. They confirm that it worked at full resolution after a trouble free install, notwithstanding the fact that DJI say it isnt supported. This compatibility came as a great surprise to them too. Therefore I ordered the RE700 for £91. It is in stock...free postage from RC GEEKS - hope im allowed to mention them?

ProfessorStein said:
It might, actually. Just learned the other week that the Vision camera and the Vision+ camera have the same internals. As do the Vision and Vision+ platform. So, largely, the only difference is the gimbal... and the range extender. Owing that the RE500, with it's lower range and spectrum, might actually be the data bottleneck preventing higher resolution... moving to the RE700 might give you better FPV.
It's a long shot, but who knows. Pencilcoil can report back when he gets set up. ;-)
I wonder why the range extending app isnt compatible with the normal vision then if the internals are the samein the camera?

I think you all are looking at FPV resolution wrong.

In creating the FPV capability, the resolution is PURPOSELY low. That is to improve RANGE. There's no reason that DJI could not make the resolution MUCH higher. But then you wouldn't be able to fly very far away, because the signal would quickly get too weak for the video to run smoothly if at all.

FPV is designed to navigate, frame shots, and for general orientation, etc. It is not meant to be a flying Netflix.

Thats fine but customers need to know what they are buying into. The vision manual says 640 x 480 is an option but it clearly isnt! After all, 640 resolution has 4x the number of effective pixels on screen (300k as opposed to 70k). This is a huge difference and if the literature says it does it then its only fair that it does!

Even for navigating and framing shots, I much prefer the 640x480. Now that its working again with the 3.06 upgrade (for me at least), I intend to keep using 640x480x15.

melenco4 said:
isopro, I tried that ipa and it just kept saying installing over and over but never worked for me ....kinda sucks ..so I updated to the newest ios app and I have 640x480 15 and 30 but ...uhh yeah insta freeze on both LOL not sure what to do at this point..
You need a jailbroken, Ipod, Iphone, etc... And use Ifunbox to install the IPA, Itunes will filter it...

pencilcoil said:
ProfessorStein said:
I wonder why the range extending app isnt compatible with the normal vision then if the internals are the samein the camera?

I. Don't. Know.

Admittedly, even as a network guy, I'm pretty mystified that the range-extending apps work at all. The range should be a factor of how the RE500/RE700 connects to the camera. Your iPhone/FPV monitor is simply a beneficiary of that connection (ie - the monitor is only connecting to the extender, not to the camera itself). How loading a piece of software, onto a device that isn't really even involved in the core communication of the system, can extend the range of that system is a little perplexing. Unless it's somehow utilizing some compression to ease bandwidth. But even then I would expect that you'd have to have something on the Phantom end to do the compression for the app to be able to decompress, which you don't.

So I'd have to know a lot more about how the range extending apps work.

But... since the range extending app is not connecting to the camera (it's connecting to the extender), that won't be the source of incompatibility. So that's likely your answer to how the camera internals can be the same.

The range extender app, connect to the camera and increase it's txpower value a little bit.
The internal softwares and hardware on both the Vision and Vision+, Camera and extender, are not the same, exemple : You can install LUCI web UI for open-wrt on the Vision+ camera but on the stuck Vision you cannot install it, and that's only the network part. I'm 99% convinced that even the camera software on both Vision and Vision+ use different commands for setting resolution of FPV, getting telemetry(roll, pitch, compass rose value, etc), because i can only get full telemetry on stuck vision with 1.0.32 and down, higher versions of the iOs DJI Vision app don't give me compass rose, roll, etc..Also from 1.0.37 i cannot get real 640x480 resolution, my theory is that is because 640x480 command was not the same in Vision+ and Vision so they nurfed the Vision so the Vision+ get 640x480...

isopro said:
The range extender app, connect to the camera and increase it's txpower value a little bit.

That's the thing... if the range extender app is running on your FPV device (ie - your phone or tablet), it's not connecting to the camera. It's connecting to the extender. The extender connects to the camera under a different (hidden) subnet than the phone connects to the extender. You can not, without a lot of work and peeking and poking, connect your phone directly to the WiFi of camera. So if the app is only connecting to the extender... how does it extend the range (even by a little bit)?

isopro said:
The internal softwares and hardware on both the Vision and Vision+, Camera and extender, are not the same, exemple : You can install LUCI web UI for open-wrt on the Vision+ camera but on the stuck Vision you cannot install it, and that's only the network part.

Ehhhh... no... I think you're assuming too much. The internal components could be exactly the same. But we know the firmware is different. That's likely the difference between being able to install open-wrt or not. And the firmware is likely different purely because of the gimbal.

And the compass rose, etc, is likely deactivated for the P2V in the app, not via any hardware difference (probably because DJI discovered some bandwidth issues in the RE500). Earlier versions of the app did support the compass rose (and, if I remember, 640x480 resolution FPV)... so we know it's not a hardware incompatibility. Which leads me back to, perhaps, switching out the RE500 for the RE700 might free up that bandwidth problem, and again allow 640x480. But who knows. If the app is basing the availability of the 640x480 feature off of the type of camera in use, and the camera's firmware is still reporting back "hey, I'm a P2V" during the handshake, those features might still be deactivated.

ProfessorStein said:
That's the thing... if the range extender app is running on your FPV device (ie - your phone or tablet), it's not connecting to the camera. It's connecting to the extender. The extender connects to the camera under a different (hidden) subnet than the phone connects to the extender. You can not, without a lot of work and peeking and poking, connect your phone directly to the WiFi of camera. So if the app is only connecting to the extender... how does it extend the range (even by a little bit)?
You obviously did'nt test this because, I connect to the camera directly from my Ipod, while connected on the range extender SSID, everytime i fly to increase the txpower of the PV2 manually. Range extender IP is 192.168.1.2, Drone ip is 192.168.1.1, you can ssh to 1.1,1.2 and 1.3, while connected only to the range extender ssid, and input commands via ssh on all those devices,also they are all on the same subnet via a WDS client bridge that the RE500 create...
ProfessorStein said:
Ehhhh... no... I think you're assuming too much. The internal components could be exactly the same. But we know the firmware is different. That's likely the difference between being able to install open-wrt or not. And the firmware is likely different purely because of the gimbal.

And the compass rose, etc, is likely deactivated for the P2V in the app, not via any hardware difference (probably because DJI discovered some bandwidth issues in the RE500). Earlier versions of the app did support the compass rose (and, if I remember, 640x480 resolution FPV)... so we know it's not a hardware incompatibility. Which leads me back to, perhaps, switching out the RE500 for the RE700 might free up that bandwidth problem, and again allow 640x480. But who knows. If the app is basing the availability of the 640x480 feature off of the type of camera in use, and the camera's firmware is still reporting back "hey, I'm a P2V" during the handshake, those features might still be deactivated.
This cannot be the issue, because peoples were able to do 4km range with simple antenna mods, with iOs app 1.0.32, at 640x480x15 fps, and over 250m with stuck antennas, using RE500 range extenders.
Just check pictures from FCC internals, you'll quickly see that the PV2+ and PV2 don't have the same camera module, wifi module, range extender wifi board, different version of open-wrt, etc. Also those functions were disabled at the same time as the PV2+ was released. This is why i hold onto this theory that it was disabled due to compatibility issue between that camera and not bandwidth issues.

isopro said:
You obviously did'nt test this because, I connect to the camera directly from my Ipod, while connected on the range extender SSID, everytime i fly to increase the txpower of the PV2 manually. Range extender IP is 192.168.1.2, Drone ip is 192.168.1.1, you can ssh to 1.1,1.2 and 1.3, while connected only to the range extender ssid, and input commands via ssh on all those devices,also they are all on the same subnet via a WDS client bridge that the RE500 create...

Exactly... WHEN YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE RANGE EXTENDER. That's what I'm saying. You can not connect to the WiFi of the camera, directly, unless you're able to find the SSID of it's hidden net (it's going to be something like " FC200_xxxxx"... you can find it when you login to the camera admin). The camera sets up it's own WiFi on this " FC200_xxxxx" net, to which the extender connects, and then the extender rebroadcasts the feed onto the "Phantom_xxxxx" WiFi net to your FPV device. You can login/ssh into the camera and the other platform components, but it's not a direct connection... meaning anything done to the connection between the range extender and your FPV device should have no effect on the connection between the extender and the camera.

isopro said:
This cannot be the issue, because peoples were able to do 4km range with simple antenna mods, with iOs app 1.0.32, at 640x480x15 fps, and over 250m with stuck antennas, using RE500 range extenders.

All before the updates that deactivated the features. I was able to do 640x480x15 fps on my P2V even without all those mods (ultra stock)... in earlier versions of the app. Now, I am not. What changed? Certainly not the hardware. So it has to be the software. They deactivated the features (for P2V's) in the software because of some other problem/issue/concern. And my guess is it had to do with bandwidth.

But we can go around and around arguing about it. Truth is neither of us knows for sure. And until we find out, we can both have our theories and suspicions. And that's okay. Someone will probably set us straight when more information is truly available (like when pencilcoil actually get's his RE700 and we see if that makes any difference... though... it sounds like he already got a dealer to test it and it did make a difference).

Yep, its in the post so I will report results when I get it paired and flying. Probably after the weekend if the forecast for northern England is to be believed.

When you change the txpower settings of the Drone, and apply, it change the txpower of the Drone to extender connection, this was tested and prooved before, i could even take screenshot or a video of the whole process...The change in hardware is in the PV2+ not in the PV2, but the software to connect to the PV2+ and PV2 is the same so they add to remove some functions from the PV2 in the software, because they were causing issues with the PV2+(simple logic)or they would have to make a (DJI VIsion Plus) different software...
Before arguing about this, did you ever connect to the Drone via ssh and change the txpower of the drone, put WPA2 to protect Drone to extender or extender to Ipod, Androit ? If not you don't have the required experience to argue about this, i boost my Drone txpower to 27 dBm(501mw) everytime i do a long range test flight, both my connections were encrypted for security purposes, by connecting to the extender SSID to make the change, and i did lot of testing before saying this, I even added custom softwares on my drone and extender, putted Open-Wrt on a 3rd party range extender and binded the drone, etc. This theory is based on fact and hours of testing not presumptions and guess like you do...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers