Did The President ruin anyone else's weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least you are not in Dallas. Since Bush moved here his route to the airport and a large area around his house is a NFZ. House is understandable but the route to the airport? I doubt he flys every day.
Regarding President Bush's home there is a 1 mile circle from the surface to 1500 AGL. The home is in class B airspace also. There is NO other no fly zone due to him. He slso lives within 5 miles of LOVE FIELD, a very busy airport.

At least you are not in Dallas. Since Bush moved here his route to the airport and a large area around his house is a NFZ. House is understandable but the route to the airport? I doubt he flys every day.

I don't believe EX-presidents should get that level of protection. They are *ex* presidents and are no longer required for the continued function of the the government. If someone bad were to happen to them that would be unfortunate, but not a national security issue. The essentially endless, lifelong SS protection (and costs) is silly and stupid.

Reactions: ironwolfjt
For those of you who think somehow these are NEW occurrences you are badly mistaken. If you're wanting to play in the aviation community you learn about these and you plan around them to the best of your ability.

It's not a TRUMP issue it's a POTUS issue. Simply because millions of Americans now have toy aircraft more publicity is put on the POTUS NFZ but they have happened like this for a long time. Presidents before have played golf and other "social" trips and NFZ had been created just the same. Simply because our current POTUS likes to visit certain areas doesn't make this process new or enlarged by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't let this turn into any type of political debate (for or against either side) or it will be shut down and other "actions" will be taken.

Seriously? Come on man take a step back and look at the big picture and don't make this about a specific POTUS.....

I don't believe EX-presidents should get that level of protection. They are *ex* presidents and are no longer required for the continued function of the the government. If someone bad were to happen to them that would be unfortunate, but not a national security issue. The essentially endless, lifelong SS protection (and costs) is silly and stupid.
I completely agreed... It is ok to have them maybe some kind of protection but keeping them extraordinary protected like their are still presidents from tax payers money is totally stupid.

Reactions: RC_G35x
So am I failing to see the issue? Can you not override the NFZ feature on the craft you own? Because if this was locked out in a software update I am pretty sure this is covered under the computer trespass code on the books in pretty much every state in the union not to mention unlawful use of a vehicle. Yes at least in virginia you cant take or disable any vehicle, buggy, horse, car, or anything else without a clear legal authorization. Being pissed over POTUS' golf trip is a bigger issue. You paid for the craft and without your permission it was disabled.

Override you say? It's supposed to be a safety issue isn't it? There's the problem. Like anything else...you don't like it, change the law. If it's a safety issue, one will never win. I am also affected living on the edge of a NFZ, there are other, some better, places to fly. Far away from people seems to be best!

Reactions: cfd701
So am I failing to see the issue? Can you not override the NFZ feature on the craft you own? Because if this was locked out in a software update I am pretty sure this is covered under the computer trespass code on the books in pretty much every state in the union not to mention unlawful use of a vehicle. Yes at least in virginia you cant take or disable any vehicle, buggy, horse, car, or anything else without a clear legal authorization. Being pissed over POTUS' golf trip is a bigger issue. You paid for the craft and without your permission it was disabled.

I pointed this issue out in another comment somewhere a few days ago. Their is a *huge* difference between some sort of disable feature that does its best to keep you from taking off in a NFZ (or similar) and a "feature" that takes control of the aircraft. What is going to get DJI in *big* trouble is taking control of the aircraft from the pilot. Right now the FAA considers a drone pilot to be a *pilot* of an *aircraft*. Now imagine the software takes control of the drone to fly it away from / out of / etc a NFZ? Or maybe it forces the aircraft back into airspace it "believes" is the correct airspace? In the process of taking control of the aircraft the computer flys off in some unintended direction and slams it into a (aircraft, vehicle, building, etc) who's at fault? The pilot had control removed from him and so he was unable to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid the accident. So from a legal perspective I wouldn't be surprised if DJI would be considered at fault in these scenarios because they took control of the aircraft from the pilot in command. I'm pretty sure you can't sue the computer in the drone which leaves the company DJI as the obvious legal target.

I believe it would be a far different scenario than using RTH or activetrak or similar modes and having an accident. In those scenarios the pilot in command "ceded" control of the aircraft willingly to an "autopilot" style system and then was expected to maintain vigilance on the controls and immediately resume control if something required him to be in control. In the NFZ scenario DJI has ripped control from the pilot in command without his permission and he is unable to resume control of the aircraft if someone requires his intervention.

The problem here isn't if it will happen, its *when* it will happen. And when it happens will the person/persons involved sue DJI? Will the FAA sue/fine/etc DJI over the incident?

I'm not a lawyer but I strongly suspect that these new "features" don't protect DJI at all and instead open them to legal exposure instead. Any "feature" that completely removes control of the aircraft from the pilot in command and doesn't give him the ability to turn it off and return to manual control is going to legally expose them because at that point *they* become the pilot in command of the aircraft and will likely be considered responsible for the aircraft at that point.

Reactions: brewforbrains
It is the PILOTS responsibility to decide and direct where his aircraft goes. It is ENTIRELY and ONLY the pilots responsibility. It is NOT (and never has been) the responsibility of an aircraft manufacturer to decide where an aircraft can or cannot go. Frankly, while this topic may exist it shouldn't be a DJI Drone issue ("my DJI drone wouldn't fly somewhere due to a new TFR that popped up") this is a "aren't all you pilots out there (helicopter, fixed wing, UAS, etc) annoyed by this new TFR that popped up?" issue.

I'd LOVE to see a model maker, helicopter or airplane maker install a system like Geo into their product and see how their customers respond. "Folks, this is your captain. As you can see out the windows and feel in your ears as the pressure changes, we are making a rapid descent into a populated area. Attendents please prepare the cabin for impact. Our aircraft Geo system has erroneously detected a false positive for a NFZ and we were caught by it. The pilot has no control over the craft and we are going down. Thank you for flying DJI airlines."

Can't stop and backup. Can't turn around and fly away. Can't control the auto-landing. Can't override the false positive. (Debating even a correct reading because you have a FAA legal exception to fly the TFR could take so long as to make it impractical).

DJI needs to scrap Geo now. It's not a matter of fixing it, it's simply not their duty/role to do.

e90f508e808dc130ab2e2add433d99ef.jpg
Donald missed my town by 20 miles. My friend had to change clubs because of constantly being Trumped every werkend.

Donald missed my town by 20 miles. My friend had to change clubs because of constantly being Trumped every werkend.

The "Club" can get a Letter of Agreement" established so it doesn't cause such an issue. This may or may not help those with DJI products or other "GeoFence" capable FC's.

It doesn't only apply to hobby aircraft. Private aircraft have to be in an emergency, life threating danger in order to fly there while any POTUS of ex POTUS is there. When Obama visited Asheville, NC on several occasions during his term, I could not even go to the airport to fly my privately owned Cessna 182. There were military fighter jets patrolling the skies over the airport, The Grove Park Inn where he stayed, and even over and around the
Bar-b-que restaurant where he went to eat. It was broadcast on the news, that any hobby aircraft caught flying, would subject the owner to prosecution. So, don't blame it on the current POTUS.

Reactions: BigAl07
That NFZ probably affects around 25 million people!

All because one guy wants to play golf and schmooze with his rich cronies.

I thought America fought a war of independence to get away from stuff like this ?!?
The revolutionary War was with England, had nothing to do with golf, that's a Scottish game. Also rather certain that neither side of that war had drones...

The revolutionary War was with England, had nothing to do with golf, that's a Scottish game. Also rather certain that neither side of that war had drones...

I wasn't referring to golf or drones --- I'm talking about making millions of "common folks" be inconvenienced all because one pompous elite wants to play a silly game at his country club with his cronies --- THAT is why common peasants decided to rise up and fight a war against a monarch who had too much power and abused it at the expense of the people

Reactions: jason

I had to laugh:

Deer Park
Mount Olive
Middle town
Toms River
Oyster Bay

Cities named after things that define them, it seems....

So, I wonder how it smells in good old East Fishkill
(And, is there even a West Fishkill?)
Hahaha

Now, let's keep on topic and off politics eh? My IRA is record high, gas prices are record low and both Tesla and Apple have new models coming out in months. Be Happy!

Reactions: Dronut2 and BigAl07
Now, let's keep on topic and off politics eh? My IRA is record high, gas prices are record low and both Tesla and Apple have new models coming out in months. Be Happy!

Gas prices low because OPEC countries are starving out the U.S. natural gas industry --- Apple iPhone 8 expected to debut at $1100 --- Tesla Model 3 already hit with quality control problems --- things are looking dicey out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl