Did I get a bad P3S?

Reaction score
I was out yesterday shooting for a client on a short documentary and after getting my footage ingested onto my editing workstation, I discovered my footage looks mushy - to the point of being unusable IMO...

I've only had the unit a little over a month and I'm stumped to figure out what's happened. First few flights I did my test footage looked pretty good. Now it looks like a steaming pile if you get my meaning... I did re-calibrate the IMU and Gimbel since shooting this yesterday.

Here's the footage in question. NO color grading, nothing other than uploading to Vimeo.

What should I do? If I have to send this back to DJI, I'm hosed on this project I'm currently in production on.

c6508fb0aa19805d5ce85a1af070168d.jpg

What video setting are you using. I would t be so much concerned by the apparent sharpness as I would be with trying to understand why the footage is so saturated, would be nightmare to grade.

What video setting are you using. I would t be so much concerned by the apparent sharpness as I would be with trying to understand why the footage is so saturated, would be nightmare to grade.
Shooting 2.7K D-Log 30p with an ND32/CPL attached. I'm ot concerned about the Saturation at this point, I want to determine what's going on with the sharpness - or the lack thereof. I've also shot without any filter, and very similar lack of sharpness as well. Maybe it's a setting within the app itself? I"m no stranger to shooting/color grading as I've been a working photographer for over 30 years and shooting video for the past 10. Once I get the sharpness issue figured out, the rest is easy...

You could try sharpness, saturation and contrast at -2,-3 and -2 in D-log profile. Settings somewhere around there have worked for me and seemingly for others also. Whatever your prowess might be in the editing sweet crushed blacks and camera applied corrections will often limit your creative choices. The standard settings are more often than not less than optimum.

Reactions: CE Visuals
You could try sharpness, saturation and contrast at -2,-3 and -2 in D-log profile. Settings somewhere around there have worked for me and seemingly for others also. Whatever your prowess might be in the editing sweet crushed blacks and camera applied corrections will often limit your creative choices. The standard settings are more often than not less than optimum.
Thanks for the advice... I'll check my settings and see where they are currently set.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm working on determining if it's the filter or the drone camera...

Was there wind. Was the grass flowing in the wind?

Whats wrong with the video, it looks fine to me. Its about what I would expect from a P3S.

I was out yesterday shooting for a client on a short documentary and after getting my footage ingested onto my editing workstation, I discovered my footage looks mushy - to the point of being unusable IMO...

I've only had the unit a little over a month and I'm stumped to figure out what's happened. First few flights I did my test footage looked pretty good. Now it looks like a steaming pile if you get my meaning... I did re-calibrate the IMU and Gimbel since shooting this yesterday.

Here's the footage in question. NO color grading, nothing other than uploading to Vimeo.

What should I do? If I have to send this back to DJI, I'm hosed on this project I'm currently in production on.

Ever noticed that the video is not level?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4