Detailed comparison of commonly used ND filters

I wish you had really done detailed quality optical evaluation rather than just visual comparison.
I attempted to compare the colors and clarity, but it was a tough task since the camera was not really meant to be used up close and indoors. What kind of optical evaluation would you have done?

I attempted to compare the colors and clarity, but it was a tough task since the camera was not really meant to be used up close and indoors. What kind of optical evaluation would you have done?
I was most interested in:

1. Uniformity of light blocking across the lens
2. Any local color distortion
3. Any local focal distortion

These are needed if one is going for high quality photography. I don't know how to test these optics without proper histogram analyzers.

Thank you for your detailed post! This issue is one of my most sought after questions. Your visual comparison is more than adequate and if SOMEBODY else wants a "quality optical evaluation" no one is stopping them. I am a professional photographer and new pilot. Thanks for helping me with this as I will now make an informed decision on what to research further and pick up. You did 90% of an inquiry that had me itching!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No one else wanted to know, I asked for this information. When I see still pictures on a big screen of 4K TV minutely, I notice patches, glares etc. I really don't feel good. I silence myself by saying these filters are low grade filters and don't expect much out of them, be happy that you got something to use.

Reactions: Dome
No one else wanted to know, I asked for this information. When I see still pictures on a big screen of 4K TV minutely, I notice patches, glares etc. I really don't feel good. I silence myself by saying these filters are low grade filters and don't expect much out of them, be happy that you got something to use.
I am indeed very happy the OP has provided information I need to research and test filters. I view my videos and images on an 80" 4K and also see differences in quality among ND filters with my previous work. I can't wait to begin testing out ND filters for my P3P as I continue to learn all things DJI. Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: capposteve
I ordered the BTG 3 pack (ND 4, 8, 16) today

I ordered the BTG 3 pack (ND 4, 8, 16) today
I also but the BTG three pack, they appeared to be well mad ND filters. I really like the fact that they are the same size of the original lens off of the P3P. Be prepared for a long shipping time, they come from China and my shipping times are long. On Amazon where I bought them they said the shipping was from April 4 to May 14. Yeah that seems like a long time to wait for something to get here from China. I did read some reviews that state that it will get here a lot faster than the quoted dates. Can't wait to get my hands on them, they seem like really nice filters. can't wait.. Ps. I also like the fact that they come it in hard plastic cases for the lenses, Will definitely help to keep them clean and safe from any scratches.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also but the BTG three pack, they appeared to be well mad ND filters. I really like the fact that they are the same size of the original lens off of the P3P. Be prepared for a long shipping time, they come from China and my shipping times are long. On Amazon where I bought them they said the shipping was from April 4 to May 14. Yeah that seems like a long time to wait for something to get here from China. I did read some reviews that state that it will get here a lot faster than the quoted dates. Can't wait to get my hands on them, they seem like really nice filters. can't wait.. Ps. I also like the fact that they come it in hard plastic cases for the lenses, Will definitely help to keep them clean and safe from any scratches.

I got them with amazon prime, so they arrive tomorrow!

I got them with amazon prime, so they arrive tomorrow!
I lucked out. The filters I ordered from BTG arrived today in perfect condition and a lot sooner than I had anticipated. Will keep you posted on how they rank on that list that msinger has so graciously given us. Thank you sir...

Default,

I have the Polar Pro's and the Neewer adjustable and the Polar Pro lens cap fits over top of them.

Jerry

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pro-Fil...60460846&sr=8-1&keywords=Polar+pro+lens+cover

Great post! I just picked up the Mudder ND2-400...haven't tested it yet but this will help. Meanwhile does anyone know if this lens cap/guard will fit? The Muuder's ring is slightly larger than my current cap.

Also, has anyone figured a way to determine the stops on these adjustables? These no indicators on the ring, so you have to guess the setting from the degree of tint.

What settings adjustment if any needs to be made in the DJI Go app when changing the stock UV filter out for a 8, 16 or 32 ND filter?

Had ordered TacoRC 4 set (ND 4, 8, 16, 32) from Germany. Recieved within 6days - possibly because they were shipped from UK warehouse.. hence it was delivered quickly and without customs issues as well..

Extremely lightweight.. came in a very nice box to keep the filters..

Went out with the ND16 fitted on the P3A. By the time I reached the test spot - sun light dropped drastically.. Video straight out of the camera at ISO100, 25fps & 1/50sec was too dark.. Switched to Auto mode which recorded useful video at ISO 200 & 1/100sec. The video quality was very good..

The color reproduction (flowers, grass, pilot's shirt color) was perfect without any color distortion.. No patchy spots or any such issues.. The color reproduction as well as focus was uniform throughout the field of view..

Since I did not shoot any pictures, a few screengrabs from video are attached.. The first 3 screengrabs at instances where the P3A was moving very slowly, the last one when P3A was moving fast across the field of flowers.. Observations & comments on the picture quality are welcome..

Will do more tests with Nd4, 8 & 16 and upload in next days; Could help some fellow pilots make a decision..

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 722
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 763
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 798
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 772
Mike thank you for including my filters in this comparison and for all the work you do helping people out.

cheers
-david (DitzCo)

Reactions: msinger
Had ordered TacoRC 4 set (ND 4, 8, 16, 32) from Germany. Recieved within 6days - possibly because they were shipped from UK warehouse.. hence it was delivered quickly and without customs issues as well..

Went out with the ND16 fitted on the P3A. By the time I reached the test spot - sun light dropped drastically.. Video straight out of the camera at ISO100, 25fps & 1/50sec was too dark.. Switched to Auto mode which recorded useful video at ISO 200 & 1/100sec. The video quality was very good..

The color reproduction (flowers, grass, pilot's shirt color) was perfect without any color distortion.. No patchy spots or any such issues.. The color reproduction as well as focus was uniform throughout the field of view..

Since I did not shoot any pictures, a few screengrabs from video are attached.. The first 3 screengrabs at instances where the P3A was moving very slowly, the last one when P3A was moving fast across the field of flowers.. Observations & comments on the picture quality are welcome..

Will do more tests with Nd4, 8 & 16 and upload in next days; Could help some fellow pilots make a decision..
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For best results I like to shoot in 1080P/60 with shatter at 120 or 160.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For best results I like to shoot in 1080P/60 with shatter at 120 or 160.

Thanks for the input..

My Samsung TV refuses to play the 60fps clips straight out of the Phantom camera.

Would it be any different if I post-process and encode it in a video editor (again at 60fps)?

If I shot at 60fps, but encoded it at 30fps how much difference will be there in video quality?

Possible to get link where you have bought it? Need to order from Europe :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik