Design flaw in the Pro3 gimbal?

Reaction score
Hi there flyers, I'm having an issue with my gimbal and a thought occurred to me that the design has a major flaw and I wanted to kick it around and see if maybe I'm wrong and missing something.

The flaw is why would the gimbal arm or camera be allowed to move left/right at all enough to see the landing gear?

What I mean is if the gimbal/camera is designed to be straight ahead and turned left and right by turning the bird, and there is no yaw (left/right) trim or adjustment feature, why would DJI make the gimbal have the ability to swing right and left at all beyond a very small amount needed for stabilization?

(apologies if this has been covered)

When you turn abruptly it tries to smooth the motion by anticipating the turn then catching up after it.
You can see this behaviour with it on the ground motors off.
The answer is simple - yaw slower to avoid it of edit the bits with legs in frame if you don't want it.
Also there's a setting in the menu which turns the smoothing off or at least reduces it (not sure if present in iOS)

I understand how to fly and yaw slowly enough to avoid seeing the landing gear in normal flight, that wasn't my question.
To correct stabilization with some yaw movement, I don't understand the function in allowing the camera to point far enough left to see the landing gear, it doesn't seem like it ever needs the be able to turn that far at all.

I thought of this because on power up, while everything else works fine, my gimbal is pointed hard left at the landing gear all the time rendering it useless and I had to return it.

I see a design flaw because there is no function in the gimbal turning almost 60 or 70 degrees left into the landing gear, just curious what y'all thought.

And if the yaw is able to move that far, there should be a yaw adjust just like there is a roll adjust shouldn't there? I was thinking I couldn't find it but I don't think it's there and don't understand why there wouldn't be a yaw trim option.

DJI could have written routines that would prevent the gimbal from yawing such that the legs would not be visible but then all it could do is just stop the gimbal. Which would also look terrible on video. And make it more complex and use more processor cycles. They just decided not to. Really, it's not hard to keep them out of view. Just slow down a bit. It's a camera, not a race car.

That doesn't really apply, because the gimbal stops at some point now anyway, the design should just move the stop point where the legs are not visible and the stabilization and hardware would work together and stop it in that spot like it stops it 50 degrees farther left now.

But again, if you read my posts, you're really missing the point. I'm not having an issue while flying, that is easily avoided and not the issue at all. Telling me to slow down has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The issue comes from my gimbal aiming left on power up and being unusable at all. You make no mention of the lack of yaw trim, which, if you're going to allow the camera to yaw into the landing gear, there should be a yaw trim shouldn't there? I can't think of a reason why there wouldn't be a yaw trim.

The issue comes from my gimbal aiming left on power up and being unusable at all. You make no mention of the lack of yaw trim, which, if you're going to allow the camera to yaw into the landing gear, there should be a yaw trim shouldn't there? I can't think of a reason why there wouldn't be a yaw trim.

That's interesting. Are you saying that at a routine start up your gimbal yaws over so far that you see the leg and it stays there? That's decidedly abnormal. Pics?

Typically you will only see the legs briefly as the craft moves sharply or stops. What you appear to be describing seems to be a malfunction. Has the gimbal been crashed before?

I've done about a dozen flights and have yet to see the legs in any of my shots, even on ones where I yaw very fast to do something like get a shot of a passing bird. Are others seeing the landing gear too?

Mike

That's interesting. Are you saying that at a routine start up your gimbal yaws over so far that you see the leg and it stays there? That's decidedly abnormal. Pics?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. On routine start-up the gimbal sets the camera pointed at the landing gear and everything else is ready to fly.
-All firmware updated, all controls work, ready to fly except the camera view is as below.
-Also there is a hex nut on the gimbal arm that can come loose, but mine is tight and in the correct position.
-I tried to downgrade firmware and it won't allow it.

Given that this is possible, the thought occurred to me that there is no reason to have the gimbal even have the ability to move that far left.
And if it can move that far left, a yaw trim or adjustment would make a lot of sense.

If this is possible, I can't think of a reason there isn't a yaw adjustment.

Thanks for any time or thoughts you have, it's a stumper to me.

P3 camera point left .JPG

That's defiantly something wrong with your gimbal. Not a design flaw; it's never supposed to go that far to the side. Have you done a gimbal calibration? It might have to go back to DJI.:(

That's defiantly something wrong with your gimbal. Not a design flaw; it's never supposed to go that far to the side. Have you done a gimbal calibration? It might have to go back to DJI.:(

Agreed! I've never seen mine that far to the side even when I turn it quickly in my hands and watch it.

Mike

Reactions: Fplvert
could also be one of the gimble settings controllable in the app!

There is a bit of a disconnect here, it does go that far to the side, that's the flaw. I know there is something wrong with the gimbal, independent of the design flaw. This thread didn't start off as being about my specific case, but a general statement on the design of the gimbal.
-I've done multiple gimbal, compass and IMU calibrations, nothing works so I am sending it back to DJI.

If you leave my specific case out of it, the fact that the gimbal can physically move that far left is the design flaw in my opinion, as there is no function in the gimbal being allowed to move that far left.

And given it can move that far, the lack of a yaw adjust is an odd choice.

Last edited:
If we could just get DJI to redesign the legs, spacing them apart where they could possible be attached to the 4 arms, many problems would be solved including much improved ground stability when landing. The gimbal shown above definitely looks peculiar and likely can be resolved with a simple calibration to such.

The gimbal shown above definitely looks peculiar and likely can be resolved with a simple calibration to such.
Posts like these make me realize some don't even read the posts, just wanna point out how someone is wrong whether it's relevant or factual or not.
CCDD, if you read the post directly above yours, I said I've done multiple calibrations and they don't help. To tell me that a "simple calibration" will likely fix it comes across as you wanting to see yourself type something, certainly not helpful to the content of this thread.

Don't get all wound up. The problem here is that you are asking for DJI to change a design / implementation detail when the rest of us are saying your gimbal is broken. It is not acting in a normal fashion. Clearly, there is something in the normal functioning of the gimbal that prevents this and yours is ... broken.

Get it back to DJI and get it fixed.

Is it just me or are you (Serenity)getting angry at everyone trying to lend you a hand. I suggest you cool off a bit before reacting in such a negative way to all of us. It appears you don't post often and you'll quickly find out how fast your questions will fall on deaf ears when disrespect is sensed.

Last edited:
Reactions: meissner58
Whoa. I'm not wound up, CCDD didn't you tell me that a "simple calibration will likely fix it'? After I posted that I had tried multiple calibrations?

Or did I misunderstand you? Apologies if I did.

Don't get all wound up. The problem here is that you are asking for DJI to change a design / implementation detail when the rest of us are saying your gimbal is broken. It is not acting in a normal fashion. Clearly, there is something in the normal functioning of the gimbal that prevents this and yours is ... broken.

Get it back to DJI and get it fixed.
Im not wound up, it's not even about my camera, just a thought on the design, I didn't ask anyone to change anything.

The flaw is simply that the camera is allowed to move that far left. It seems the physical barrier that stops the camera from turning any farther shouldn't be so far to the left and it couldn't physically happen.
It's just an opinion, i apologize if it doesn't make sense and am just trying to explain something it doesn't feel is being understood.

Ans as posted, my camera is going back to DJI.

CCDD, respectfully, did you read my post #13 where I said I've tried calibrations?
If you did, why do you think a calibration will resolve it?

Thanks for the input.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl