Delete .bin file after Firmware update?

There is a possibility that the P3 itself will update each battery as they are inserted and that the bin file is not needed on the SD card for this but I doubt that is how it works.
Definitely not going to work that way. .bin needs to be on the card and the bird rebooted for each new battery.

I format my card before each flight after I've download it all to the PC so this idea of whether to leave it on the card or not seems pointless. is nobody formatting their card? do you leave EVERYTHING you shoot on it forever? Just keep a copy of the .bin on your computer for archive purposes.

Upgrade package file... this would be the zip file and the P3 well ignore this file. It's not the bin file. If the bin file is left in the root of the SD card the P3 will attempt to update each time it's turned on.

As I understand it, the firmware which updates the P3 also updates the battery. However, the bin file needs to be on the SD card and the P3 needs to be booted up with each battery so that each better is loaded with the new firmware. After that, remove the bin file.

There is a possibility that the P3 itself will update each battery as they are inserted and that the bin file is not needed on the SD card for this but I doubt that is how it works. I also think DJI will tell us when I new firmware will be updating the batteries.

You wrote: "Upgrade package file... this would be the zip file and the P3 well ignore this file. It's not the bin file. If the bin file is left in the root of the SD card the P3 will attempt to update each time it's turned on. "

I'm sorry. We'll just have to agree that we disagree. Once I had updated my firmware and gone through the process, I left nothing but the .bin file in the root directory. I have flown quite a few number of times since then. In NONE of those cases has my Phantom attempted again to upgrade. If you start the controller FIRST, then start the Phantom it should NOT attempt to upgrade. It seems what must be done to update firmware is leave the controller off and then turn the P3 on. When the P3 sees the controller is not turned on, it should look for the SD card, see the appropriate file and start attempting an update.

We do agree on one thing - DJI has been somewhat wishy-washy about this process and we'll likely know more once users own multiple batteries.

Frankly, if they manage to gum up a couple more things I may put mine up for sale and either buy something else or wait for something dependable to come on the market. This is getting silly.

In NONE of those cases has my Phantom attempted again to upgrade.
Are you saying this because it doesn't beep, or because you verified that the firmware logs have not been appended to since your more recent upgrade? My logs continue to grow, each time saying nothing needs to be updated. And as such, does not beep either. Double check.

Are you saying this because it doesn't beep, or because you verified that the firmware logs have not been appended to since your more recent upgrade? My logs continue to grow, each time saying nothing needs to be updated. And as such, does not beep either. Double check.

All right - I think you're starting to make a believer out of me!!
Removed the card from the Phantom and stuck it in a reader.
In my root dir there are two files - a .txt. file and a .bin file.
The .bin file is, of course, the latest update version executed on my craft.
The .txt contains more info than I thought it might and tends to concur what
you're telling me.

It looks like each time I fly, when the P3 comes on, it compares the firmware to the .bin file version and decided it's already the current version and there's nothing to be done.

Someone at DJI truly familiar with the situation would have to address this, because I'm still somewhat confused. Here's a scenario - DJI says to download the new firmware (not now, of course, but when another one becomes available) and make sure the .bin file is in the root directory, then make sure controller is off, turn on P3 and proceed with the update.

However, it almost appears that what's happening is it's checking every time you execute the proper starting sequence for the Phantom, i.e., turn on the controller first, then turn on the P3. If seemed like the update process is executed ONLY when the P3 is turned on with the controller turned off. However, that doesn't explain why it appears to be "checking" the firmware every time you start everything.

For it to check every time and try to enter the update sequence is not logical - the normal startup calls for the controller to be on first - during the normal update, they tell you not to have the controller on at all.

I gotta give you credit - I can understand your intrepretation of the data, but not the why! And, seriously, I do appreciate your being insistent/persistent - and without being rude! Thanks.

All right - I think you're starting to make a believer out of me!!
Removed the card from the Phantom and stuck it in a reader.
In my root dir there are two files - a .txt. file and a .bin file.
The .bin file is, of course, the latest update version executed on my craft.
The .txt contains more info than I thought it might and tends to concur what
you're telling me.

It looks like each time I fly, when the P3 comes on, it compares the firmware to the .bin file version and decided it's already the current version and there's nothing to be done.

Someone at DJI truly familiar with the situation would have to address this, because I'm still somewhat confused. Here's a scenario - DJI says to download the new firmware (not now, of course, but when another one becomes available) and make sure the .bin file is in the root directory, then make sure controller is off, turn on P3 and proceed with the update.

However, it almost appears that what's happening is it's checking every time you execute the proper starting sequence for the Phantom, i.e., turn on the controller first, then turn on the P3. If seemed like the update process is executed ONLY when the P3 is turned on with the controller turned off. However, that doesn't explain why it appears to be "checking" the firmware every time you start everything.

For it to check every time and try to enter the update sequence is not logical - the normal startup calls for the controller to be on first - during the normal update, they tell you not to have the controller on at all.

I gotta give you credit - I can understand your intrepretation of the data, but not the why! And, seriously, I do appreciate your being insistent/persistent - and without being rude! Thanks.
It's not illogical at all. It's an initialization protocol. Look at it this way: when you know you need to update your firmware, you have an expectation of the bird behaving differently than a standard startup. If you don't think you need an update you wouldn't expect different behavior. During the startup protocol, it looks for a firmware file, checks it, and if it's new then do an update, if not, log that you checked it and do nothing. It costs nothing because there's a startup protocol that you have to wait for regardless, so you don't notice when an update is not needed. Happens all the time in the real world... Soda machines, TVs, etc.

It's not illogical at all. It's an initialization protocol. Look at it this way: when you know you need to update your firmware, you have an expectation of the bird behaving differently than a standard startup. If you don't think you need an update you wouldn't expect different behavior. During the startup protocol, it looks for a firmware file, checks it, and if it's new then do an update, if not, log that you checked it and do nothing. It costs nothing because there's a startup protocol that you have to wait for regardless, so you don't notice when an update is not needed. Happens all the time in the real world... Soda machines, TVs, etc.

I had a cleverly written diatribe (aren't I smart?!?) then the obvious dawned on me. If there is truly an update required, you will already have downloaded and written the new .bin file to the SD card and ready to turn on the P3, blah, blah, blah.

I guess the bottom line - how do new batteries get updated/upgraded - won't be known until at least a few people get new batteries and either get updated automatically or the system will issue a demand that you run an appropriate update.

This is my first DJI product. Apparently the technique for updating the P2 and previous models was pretty straightforward. I wonder why they made a radical departure from a system that seemed to work just fine?

I had a cleverly written diatribe (aren't I smart?!?) then the obvious dawned on me. If there is truly an update required, you will already have downloaded and written the new .bin file to the SD card and ready to turn on the P3, blah, blah, blah.

I guess the bottom line - how do new batteries get updated/upgraded - won't be known until at least a few people get new batteries and either get updated automatically or the system will issue a demand that you run an appropriate update.

This is my first DJI product. Apparently the technique for updating the P2 and previous models was pretty straightforward. I wonder why they made a radical departure from a system that seemed to work just fine?
Lol. I promise you, it's not complicated. Leaving the firmware update on the card all the time hurts nothing, and will update the batteries as you change them... Which will be instant. All batteries need to know is if they're real smart batteries or not. They'll know that in an instant. P2xxx were the same, it's fine, just fly em. Coming from a v+, this experience has been such a breath of fresh air, and I have full confidence in the 3 at this point (there were so many problems at this point w the +).

I updated my second battery today using the latest firmware, the read txt file read "identical firmware already installed etc. I take it the second battery already had the latest firmware.
33a9hd5.jpg

Lol. I promise you, it's not complicated. Leaving the firmware update on the card all the time hurts nothing, and will update the batteries as you change them... Which will be instant. All batteries need to know is if they're real smart batteries or not. They'll know that in an instant. P2xxx were the same, it's fine, just fly em. Coming from a v+, this experience has been such a breath of fresh air, and I have full confidence in the 3 at this point (there were so many problems at this point w the +).

Many thanks. Didn't realize that earlier versions of Phantoms had gone through such pains as well.
Thanks again for the input/feedback and commentary.

Reactions: bbfpv
Many thanks. Didn't realize that earlier versions of Phantoms had gone through such pains as well.
Thanks again for the input/feedback and commentary.
Of course.

And generally speaking @UKFlyer when a DJI item comes from factory near a firmware update, they leave with the latest firmware.

Agreed it does no harm if you do want to leave the firmware on the sd card but as long as all your batteries, tx and quad are all updated to the firmware there is no need to leave it on there.

Not quite.
You do the update and it brings the firmware in your Phantom up to date.
That's it.
No need to have any files on your SD card when you fly because the update in in your Phantom - not on a card you put in the Phantom.

As I made question at another thread, I
- updated 1.1.9 aircraft + battery #1, success (*_AB.txt remains),
- updated RC but no need to update, failed (*_GS.txt remains),
- updated battery #2, but no need to update, failed (*_AB.txt appended).

At this time I have no plan to buy battery #3, so I decided to move *.txt to
my PC, and remove everything. .bin file is still in my PC and it's rather small
compared to the 4K footage. :D
Remaining that, aircraft always compare version, append failure log to
*_AB.txt (but finishes in a moment, goes to normal operation).
And when I buy #3 battery, simply move .bin and *_AB.txt to SD may work.

So, DJI advice is wrong in 2 points:
1. we don't have to remain .bin in SD; people have another copy in PC,
2. if one has two or more RC, no problem deleting *_GS.txt - the RC don't see
if there's *_GS.txt or its content, simply compare version of .bin and current RC,
and start/ignore updating (this I don't have confirmation).

Usually firmware updates on digital cameras does, 1. read firmware from SD if
exists, 2. compare to current, 3. do update if newer, 4. erase firm on SD after success.
If .bin separates for aircraft/battery/RC, this process is OK - even the single .bin "pack,"
user may remain .bin copy in PC so no problem.
I'd like to write this constructive opinion onto DJI web, but cannot login to forum...o_O

Sorry continuous posting...

Is there anyone who has succeeded to update to 1.1.9 automatically
through Pilot App online?
1.1.9 update didn't work in automatic?
Or everybody hate to start updating using precious battery at the top of mountain
and do it in advance at home? :)

I'm thinking just delete it. If there was a firmware just for batteries, DJI would release it, we all do t have extra batteries so no one really knows.

Please guys fast answer. I don't have time to install today new firmware 1.1.9., I have old version and on my tab aplication with 1.1.6., and would that lead some issue? Can I use it with old firmware version?

Please guys fast answer. I don't have time to install today new firmware 1.1.9., I have old version and on my tab aplication with 1.1.6., and would that lead some issue? Can I use it with old firmware version?
As long as you can take off, there are no problems, assuming you're using Android. I believe 1.1.8 allows iOS to work with the app/bird. But again, if you can take off and see fpv, just fly. I'm still on 1.1.8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.