Death By Bug And Other Alternative Crash Scenarios

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom 3 Pro this morning and had the most unusual experience, I was returning to my launch point slowly at a height of approximately 20 feet and I noticed a dark object about 3/4" in size flying up toward the bottom of my phantom only to be blown back down toward the ground by the down draft from the propellers again and again. I moved sideways roughly 15 feet and the creature followed and resumed aggressively trying to reach my Phantom. Finally it flew over top of my phantom and flew down and into on of the propeller blades and with a loud crack it was chopped into fine pieces and briefly disrupted the stability of my Phantom causing it to drop 2 feet before stabilizing.
When I landed the evidence of this encounter was splattered all over one side of my Phantom but there was no damage!
It did make me wonder if some of the "mystery" crashes we hear about all too often could be caused by similar circumstances - a large beetle, which I think was the creature I aerially eviscerated, might be able to destroy a propeller causing a phantom to drop out of the sky. It was amazing how aggressively it was attacking my Phantom and I have to wonder what prompted such an aggressive posture - Blinking Lights? Engine Noise? Are there other alternative scenarios similar to this one that have nothing to do with pilot error or equipment malfunction?

Probably attracted to the lights or a certain frequency the Phantom gives off. I've had some bug splatters on mine but nothing where it lost stability for a second. Can't see a bug taking down a Phantom. A bird on the other hand...

William Shatner was right !
123-nightmare-at-20000-feet.jpg

2 days ago I was bringing my P3 down to land and a dog came running full tilt from across the park and made a jump at the bird fortunately it was still a good 8-10 ft up so neither the dog nor my P3 were harmed. quick dog, covered the 50ish yards in what felt like seconds to me.

2 days ago I was bringing my P3 down to land and a dog came running full tilt from across the park and made a jump at the bird fortunately it was still a good 8-10 ft up so neither the dog nor my P3 were harmed. quick dog, covered the 50ish yards in what felt like seconds to me.
Yeah dogs are attached to drones.

So much so I use mine to tire out my friend's dog. It is as funny as hell. Even put a few vids up on youtube.

We use it in such a maner that the dog cannot grab it and that we can control were she runs as well as getting her to run at full speed for exercise.

So 2 hours of exercise done normally is now done in 10 min with a drone.

So much so I use mine to tire out my friend's dog. It is as funny as hell. Even put a few vids up on youtube.

We use it in such a maner that the dog cannot grab it and that we can control were she runs as well as getting her to run at full speed for exercise.

thats funny, I've gotten to be very wary of when I'm at low altitude, totally the opposite of when I first got my P3 and I felt more comfortable at low altitude now I breathe a sigh a relief when I'm up and away from trees powerlines an well, dogs.

Yeah dogs have gone after my Phantom 2 at the park as well. Gotta be careful of them buggers.

Here are my videos of me first time with the bebop drone that turned into dog exercise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch the first 50 sec funny as hell.

There are 4 videos in this play list 2 from drone and 2 from phone.

Enjoy

I was flying my Phantom 3 Pro this morning and had the most unusual experience, I was returning to my launch point slowly at a height of approximately 20 feet and I noticed a dark object about 3/4" in size flying up toward the bottom of my phantom only to be blown back down toward the ground by the down draft from the propellers again and again. I moved sideways roughly 15 feet and the creature followed and resumed aggressively trying to reach my Phantom. Finally it flew over top of my phantom and flew down and into on of the propeller blades and with a loud crack it was chopped into fine pieces and briefly disrupted the stability of my Phantom causing it to drop 2 feet before stabilizing.
When I landed the evidence of this encounter was splattered all over one side of my Phantom but there was no damage!
It did make me wonder if some of the "mystery" crashes we hear about all too often could be caused by similar circumstances - a large beetle, which I think was the creature I aerially eviscerated, might be able to destroy a propeller causing a phantom to drop out of the sky. It was amazing how aggressively it was attacking my Phantom and I have to wonder what prompted such an aggressive posture - Blinking Lights? Engine Noise? Are there other alternative scenarios similar to this one that have nothing to do with pilot error or equipment malfunction?

Was your drone in heat?

I'm bothered by butterfly suicides. Before Phantom, it scarcely occurred, but P2 & P3 almost everyday after spring. I suspect it's their love attack, or my Phantom violates their territories (I guess insects' multiple eye canot distinguish object size), and my friend's hypotheses is the color - in UV range of insects' eyes Phantom can be seen as something fascinating... anyway poor...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31