Dealing with people

I move to this sparsely populated area 9 years ago and I know few neighbors. I was getting some shots of the sunset. When I came into the house a few minutes later I had a knock at the door. An angry man at the door claimed I was spying on his daughter laying out back behind his house. It was 8:15 pm. Lol. He said he'd shoot it down the next time I few over his property. I showed him some pic's I took of the sunset and some ground shots. He thought was really cool. We got joking and he said that he always wanted to get a drone. I told him I would get together with him and let him fly my phantom. Then he can have some angry dad come after him. The guy was only responding to his daughter 's fear of a drone hovering over Head. Once he understood things and got a little education on drones, he was fine. He will probably be on this forum some day.

We should all try to be ambassadors of our industry and be not be hot-heads. We get so much more through education and demonstration than through being a bad *** and proving you have your rights.

WV. Rootman is a classic example (as are many others posting above) of what can turn into a positive. I've actually turned several "inquisitive watchers" into clients. Show them what the aircraft can (and can't) do and then give them a business card offering lessons and instruction into "Safe and Ethical Drone Flight". I now teach privately and at the local college.

Why argue .. why be antagonistic as one here is prompting ?

I often get people ask me all sorts while flying. I am polite, I answer their questions but nicely remind them that I have to keep mind on the business of flying. I've even held the controller and display so they can see for themselves ... I have never had anyone create a problem yet. They have all received answers, and retreated wishing well in my flying. You would be amazed at how their attitude changes when they start to understand.

Personally I think we have a duty to be polite and inform those who do not understand. Only this way can we avoid such ridiculous media scandals such as the Hogwart incident and court cases etc. We are the flyers who can alter public conception of our hobby.
Trappy / Hogwart and idiots such as they - do a lot of damage to public image of all RC flying whatever model type. If we adopt a 'leave me alone' attitude - is it no wonder we end up with no flying in a park etc.

Packing up and leaving - in my view is a last resort only if the encounter risks turning bad. I would rather briing it into land ... and show them the setup ... literally a guided tour ....

Remember that one person if you gain positive encounter will speak to others ... we NEED to educate / change opinion about us.

My 2c's worth anyway.

Nigel
Amen!

Reactions: BigAl07
I welcome inquisitive people, and the ones who ask the dumb **** I can ignore.

90% of them once they see that at altitude what it looks like and that you can't zoom in on them, etc. They change their opinions. Educate is much easier (for most) than to alienate.

Hi All,
I was flying my drone yesterday at a field where I normally fly and someone walked up to me and asked hat I was doing and thought I was spying. I tried to show them that I wasn't doing that but I landed it anyways and left. What is the best way to deal with people like that and what are the rules I live in Illinois in the USA.

Get registered/certified with the FAA and where one of these Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots

i hit submit before finishing...

When you wear a blaze orange vest identifying yourself it's hard for people to accuse you of spying. And it helps people feel confident with your capabilities and intentions.

I started wearing a blaze orange vest when doing a many things outdoors like dog walking, biking, hiking etc and it makes me safer but also makes me more approachable.

People don't respond as though i'm sleuthing around their house at night when walking my dog (like they used to) because the orange vest assures them i'm NOT trying to be conspicuous, i am out in the open, i WANT to be seen, i want to be noticed.

A blaze orange vest goes a long way my friend...
-Erlik-Khan

But doesn't that Vest itself play into the 'fear factor' of the public ... it literally says to people stand clear - its unsafe. Forgive me for saying it - even if the post was meant to be a bit of humour - its detrimental to our cause.
That little old lady with her dog - if she saw that vest would be even more determined to stop you flying in the park to safeguard her dog walks !!

Its like HS&E regulations that fail to educate people to be safe but impose stupid restrictions to try and solve safe practice.

Nigel

It says stand clear because interfering with a drone pilot is dangerous and is a crime.
IMO the "stand clear" is too much but you can have it say anything like "Please Don't Interfere" or "Please Stand Back" or whatever...

Reactions: macoman
I am younger at age 16, I have a friend my age who just got his FAA part 107. I am planning on doing that as I have a neighbor in realestate and has asked me to photograph some houses for him but I told I could once I get my part 107, I'm planning on doing it over the summer and possibly my private pilots liscense in a couple years.

Reactions: KCadby
If I was completing an assigned flight - then a vest would be good. But flying normally - no way. Too many things today smack of officialdom and meddling.

There are much better ways than a high viz provocative vest !

Sorry but that's my opinion.

Nigel

Reactions: RW-1
Just in case some missed it, the sellers of the vest clearly state that wording on the vest can be changed. As I read it a purchaser could have the "stand clear" text excluded for free.

If I was completing an assigned flight - then a vest would be good. But flying normally - no way. Too many things today smack of officialdom and meddling.

There are much better ways than a high viz provocative vest !

Sorry but that's my opinion.

Nigel
A vest help you identify yourself and what you doing... I personally think it is a great idea.

Just in case some missed it, the sellers of the vest clearly state that wording on the vest can be changed. As I read it a purchaser could have the "stand clear" text excluded for free.

The thing about people, if it says to stay away, they'll walk right up to you.

I wouldn't go for the vest myself ...

@Rg155 get one of these vets... not one will bother you again.

I like the idea of the vest for when I'm flying commercially and will be ordering one. However, I will be ordering one without the "STAND CLEAR", replacing it with "Please Do not Disturb" I agree that "STAND CLEAR" is more alarming and the other phrase indicates it's a concentration issue.

Reactions: macoman
I like the idea of the vest for when I'm flying commercially and will be ordering one. However, I will be ordering one without the "STAND CLEAR", replacing it with "Please Do not Disturb" I agree that "STAND CLEAR" is more alarming and the other phrase indicates it's a concentration issue.
Totally agreed! I already ordered one but the guy told me it takes three weeks until it get created the vest and then they will ship it to you.

Our local Supermarket sells Yellow Safety Vests ... about $5 ..... add some vinyl stickies and you got your own personal 'vest' !!

Nigel

Hi All,
I was flying my drone yesterday at a field where I normally fly and someone walked up to me and asked hat I was doing and thought I was spying. I tried to show them that I wasn't doing that but I landed it anyways and left. What is the best way to deal with people like that and what are the rules I live in Illinois in the USA.

I would show them google maps view and say your getting the same image from google maps as you are from the drone !

I would show them google maps view and say your getting the same image from google maps as you are from the drone !

I did this once and the guy argued that it's not a live picture. Which sucked cause he was right on that one lol

I have to say that I am an old fashioned person and enjoy conversation. Too many people today don't want to 'speak' and it leads to isolationism and general discord.

I have a Russian wife and the contrast of my character and hers is a good example. Russians grew up under soviet system to not question. To just accept what is. Not for me I'm afraid. I like to chat ... I like to understand .. I like to receive what I pay for.
Wife over the years has given up over the years trying to stop me chatting to people - often people I don't know.

How many people today actually have a real conversation, even with people they know ? Very few. A quick few words and that's it. No real conversation.

Some weeks back - I traveled back to UK and had agreed to meet an ex-girlfriend of mine. We were together when I was at Marine College over 40yrs ago. We spent the whole day talking and it was one of the best days for a long time. We didn't just reminisce ... we really 'talked' ...

OK ... I know this is something different - but what I'm trying to illustrate is the art of communication. We all fail in it in some ways - I get accused of being OTT on this forum even though its not what I intend ... but the point is, if we can communicate with those people who approach us in the park ... in the field etc, and present ourselves as rational normal human beings with same concerns etc. instead of the Hogwart / Trappy style - things would start to improve. That Lady who walks her dog and wants to stop your flying ... a few pats of the dog and interest in HER interests goes a long way.

Maybe its because I have to work with many different nationalities in their home locations ... Chinese, Korean, Thai, Russian, Italian, Egyptian, Turkish, Indian etc. just to give a few examples of the many ... I employ Dutch, Latvian, Russian, Lithuanian, Irish, as examples.

The worlds population may be expanding rapidly ... but it is becoming increasingly lonely planet because communication face to face is declining.

Sorry for the novel ... but it is my opinion.

Nigel
AND with the explosion of cell phones with earbuds (I hate that name), people are in their own little world, even when they are in a crowd of people... seems like communication has become a lost art. and when you DO say something to someone, they look at you funny or you get tagged as a mental case... SAD!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj