Dealing with people

An angry man at the door claimed I was spying on his daughter laying out back behind his house.
Why do some people always think "we" are spying on their daughter??? What happened to Son/Wife/Husband???

Reactions: macoman
I was flying yesterday and this guy walks up to me and starting asking me questions about the drone..how far can it fly? how much did it cost? where did you get it from? etc etc . I know its just inquisitive human nature but in can
be a distraction for us pilots.

Reactions: howard.allum
I was flying yesterday and this guy walks up to me and starting asking me questions about the drone..how far can it fly? how much did it cost? where did you get it from? etc etc . I know its just inquisitive human nature but in can
be a distraction for us pilots.
That's what I really can't stand... then you have to stop your drone in mid air to answer this guy questions.

He is just one of these people that feel alone and need to fight with someone.
I can understand, he was just protecting his daughter. He just got home from work. What would you do if your daughter said there was a pervert staring at her? Once he saw the video of my sunset, he was cool. I can't understand why she was laying out at 8 pm. Maybe she was making out with her guy and thought I was watching.lol
Last fall we had a helicopter doing stupid stuff at least 300 ft. over my house. I found out he was the idiot.

Reactions: KCadby
I have an orange vest that says FAA licensed UAS pilot, stand clear...
It has not stopped people from approaching me while I'm working.
I'm always polite and I don't mind talking to people. The vest just hasn't seemed to do much.
I usually have to hold up my hand and make the "just a moment" gesture, or say something like "I'll be happy to talk to you as soon as it's safe / I can land or take my eyes off what I'm doing. "

99% of my flights are commercial in nature and I'm 107 certified, NC certified and insured.
Most people I encounter in public don't know or understand what I'm doing.

Attachments

• 20170504_112033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
I'm always polite and I don't mind talking to people. The vest just hasn't seemed to do much.
I usually have to hold up my hand and make the "just a moment" gesture, or say something like "I'll be happy to talk to you as soon as it's safe / I can land or take my eyes off what I'm doing. "

99% of my flights are commercial in nature and I'm 107 certified, NC certified and insured.
Stripes are going the wrong way on the vest, me thinks. ;)

Looks great, I ordered one too, red color. I am still waiting to arrive. Guy told me, it could take three weeks.

I have to say that I am an old fashioned person and enjoy conversation. Too many people today don't want to 'speak' and it leads to isolationism and general discord.

I have a Russian wife and the contrast of my character and hers is a good example. Russians grew up under soviet system to not question. To just accept what is. Not for me I'm afraid. I like to chat ... I like to understand .. I like to receive what I pay for.
Wife over the years has given up over the years trying to stop me chatting to people - often people I don't know.

How many people today actually have a real conversation, even with people they know ? Very few. A quick few words and that's it. No real conversation.

Some weeks back - I traveled back to UK and had agreed to meet an ex-girlfriend of mine. We were together when I was at Marine College over 40yrs ago. We spent the whole day talking and it was one of the best days for a long time. We didn't just reminisce ... we really 'talked' ...

OK ... I know this is something different - but what I'm trying to illustrate is the art of communication. We all fail in it in some ways - I get accused of being OTT on this forum even though its not what I intend ... but the point is, if we can communicate with those people who approach us in the park ... in the field etc, and present ourselves as rational normal human beings with same concerns etc. instead of the Hogwart / Trappy style - things would start to improve. That Lady who walks her dog and wants to stop your flying ... a few pats of the dog and interest in HER interests goes a long way.

Maybe its because I have to work with many different nationalities in their home locations ... Chinese, Korean, Thai, Russian, Italian, Egyptian, Turkish, Indian etc. just to give a few examples of the many ... I employ Dutch, Latvian, Russian, Lithuanian, Irish, as examples.

The worlds population may be expanding rapidly ... but it is becoming increasingly lonely planet because communication face to face is declining.

Sorry for the novel ... but it is my opinion.

Nigel
Wow that "Novel" was well written and received at this end. At the age of 69 I am beginning to wonder if thanks to email and phones whether people know how to carry on a conversation face to face anymore. Drive through everything and short phone text seems to affect all ages
anymore. My own adult children will come to visit and then spend a third of the time staring at their cell phone. We need everyone to put down all electronic devices and think not just what they have gained with electronic devices but instead what they may have lost. I own and
use a smart phone but it is not attached to my body 24/7. And like Nigel
I mostly enjoy talking to new people even when we may disagree on
current affairs. As Nigel implies, people always fear what they do not understand.

Hi All,
I was flying my drone yesterday at a field where I normally fly and someone walked up to me and asked hat I was doing and thought I was spying. I tried to show them that I wasn't doing that but I landed it anyways and left. What is the best way to deal with people like that and what are the rules I live in Illinois in the USA.

I think you did the smartest thing. Show them what you are doing, and if they still object, just pack up and move on. Go back again when they are not there. Even though you may be in the right, confrontations are never a good thing.

Drone shirt.JPG
Hi All,
I was flying my drone yesterday at a field where I normally fly and someone walked up to me and asked hat I was doing and thought I was spying. I tried to show them that I wasn't doing that but I landed it anyways and left. What is the best way to deal with people like that and what are the rules I live in Illinois in the USA.

I am also a big believer in the public relations responsibility that every drone pilot takes on. I do what you do and take the time to show people what I am photographing or filming, and when I land I will show them the videos. Once they gain an understanding of what my goal is while flying they leave very enthusiastic and usually end up following my Facebook page.

I am very fortunate to live in the country where people tend to be more trusting of others so I do understand that it is much easier for me to gain acceptance from strangers than it would be for someone who is not in my situation. However regardless of where I fly I use the same approach of giving out as much information as I can so that people do understand that I am not spying and that I am doing this as a hobby.

Good luck!
Why argue .. why be antagonistic as one here is prompting ?

I often get people ask me all sorts while flying. I am polite, I answer their questions but nicely remind them that I have to keep mind on the business of flying. I've even held the controller and display so they can see for themselves ... I have never had anyone create a problem yet. They have all received answers, and retreated wishing well in my flying. You would be amazed at how their attitude changes when they start to understand.

Personally I think we have a duty to be polite and inform those who do not understand. Only this way can we avoid such ridiculous media scandals such as the Hogwart incident and court cases etc. We are the flyers who can alter public conception of our hobby.
Trappy / Hogwart and idiots such as they - do a lot of damage to public image of all RC flying whatever model type. If we adopt a 'leave me alone' attitude - is it no wonder we end up with no flying in a park etc.

Packing up and leaving - in my view is a last resort only if the encounter risks turning bad. I would rather briing it into land ... and show them the setup ... literally a guided tour ....

Remember that one person if you gain positive encounter will speak to others ... we NEED to educate / change opinion about us.

My 2c's worth anyway.

Nigel

Once strangers see the screen of my IPad, with me extolling the cool awesomeness of my drone and all the neat things the DJI app does, they usually leave with the comment of "man, I want one of those!!".

Hi All,

Many times I'll let the person see my iPad, just so they get an idea of the field of view. If I'm not in a critical situation, I'll bring it in close, and school them into wanting one. People fear what they don't understand.

Reactions: KCadby
I have a hdmi monitor connecting to my transmitter. When people ask. I hand him/her the monitor and I keep on flying. No confrontation, no big lecture regarding FAA, no police and no incident.

Greetings from beautiful Prince George BC, Canada. I often have inquisitive people approach me and honestly after a brief conversation about the technology and showing the amazing live video feed, most people are completely intrigued. These people often become enthusiasts themselves and I'm only too happy to help. I have only had one experience in the last three years of flying that didn't end as well as it could have, unfortunately some people are just having a bad day and nothing you say or show them will alleviate the situation.

I honestly believe the best way to work through these situations is to be open and honest and try to be engaging.

as
Hi All,
ask them...do they know the US goverment can read the time on their watch?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT