Dealer messed up my phantom

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just bought a phantom package with zen muse gimbal for my photography business. When I got my phantom and flew it for the first time, even though the lights showed I had perfect gps reception and everything was ok the phantom would not hover. It would take off and slowly drift to the side while accelerating and losing altitude until it crashed. In atti mode I could get it to hover straight with little correction.

The dealer I bought the kit from is insisting that it's my inexperience that is the culprit and I say that the phantom is not acting as it should out of the box.

Long story short, the phantom is all banged up now with out getting as much as 10 seconds of controllable flight out of it. I noticed that when they put the phantom together, they mounted the compass module on the wrong leg (Dji support said it should be under motor 4 and it was installed under motor 3).

Does anyone have any experience or insight as to what can happen with the compass on the wrong leg? I'm trying to get the dealer (which happens not to be an official DJi dealer) to take responsibility for the botched installation and refund my money.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

If calibration was carried out correctly it doesn't matter what leg compass is mounted to. I've moved mine around a couple of times due to adding gimbal, landing gear, etc... and MADE SURE to run assistant software calibration.

Questions for you - did you do the "calibration dance" before flying? You might try doing that and using assistant software and do the advanced calibration. (DJI's website has videos on both)

As far as "banged up" - Phantoms are pretty rugged and you need to really mess up to make one un-flyable. Props can break easily but the rest of the rig is pretty tough. I bet if you do the cals you'll be flying shortly afterwards.

Did your dealer put on any accessories for you? (like a gimbal, etc)

If not, I'm not sure why you were thinking they installed anything, let alone incorrectly...?

I agree with Einstein there, sounds like you need to calibrate the compass and maybe the IMU (both should be done before your first flight, to overcome any deviations introduced during shipping). Also be sure that you've got it in GPS mode before flying (top right switch on the transmitter, full up position).

Yes, they installed a Zenmuse gimbal and fpv system.

The first thing I did when I received the phantom was calibrate the IMU and compass with the software exactly as instructed.

I'm reading on this forum that people were having issues by mistakingly putting the compass on the wrong leg.

Makes sense to me, just wanted to know if this is what is causing these issues...

Sounds like miscalibrated compass/gyro. Steel structure nearby?
Definitely not the 'wrong leg' though.

Nope, open field.... All parameters are within range for gyro, accel and compass...

As soon as the phantom takes off in GPS mode it tilts in a random direction and ultimately hits the ground. It won't hover.

Only in Atti mode it stays level...

I'm stumped...

Hmm, interesting. Is the tilting always directly along one of the axis (like always forward/always to the side), or does it do it in a combination? And does it spiral (yaw) too?

It tilts to one side or another this could be side to side or front to back. It normally doesn't yaw, though I think it did once.

Did you move the compass back to the right spot? You should open it up and make sure the Naza is placed in the right way, Not sure if the GPS has to be placed a certain way besides a the top! Do you know if the seller opened it? I'm not sure what DJI can do much on getting your money back since you didn't buy from a DJI Dealer and it doesn't sound like the seller want's to help out either! Did you buy it off eBay? Don't open it if you did it open a case with eBay. Other then that it may not be the sellers fault if they didn't open it, Could be something installed incorrectly by manufacture!! Wouldn't hurt to check. Also when you say it was in GPS do you mean the switch or and did it lock on to seven or more satellites with three flashing green lights before you took off?

I didn't buy the phantom on eBay. I actually bought it from a supposedly reputable audio/video retailer who is not a DJI dealer. I am working with them on a solution so I didn't open up the phantom or move the compass to its proper position. I don't want to damage the phantom and gimbal. I know for a fact that they did open it up to install the upgrade board and the gimbal. So another option is that the NAZA wasn't centered or aligned right.

In any case, I believe this will be solved. DJI support stated to me by email that the compass needs to be installed in a certain place (under motor #4) and I trust they know their product better than the company I bought it from.

I ordered another phantom setup from an authorized dealer so I can get on with my business.

Just a quick update. After sending my phantom back to the dealer, they examined the beat up phantom and after talking with DJI came to the conclusion that the compass must be installed on the 4th motor in order to properly work in GPS mode. I got all my money refunded.

Davis476 said:
I noticed that when they put the phantom together, they mounted the compass module on the wrong leg (Dji support said it should be under motor 4 and it was installed under motor 3).Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

If it is under three it is reversed in orientation, front is now back and that may not calibrate properly.

Wayne

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl