DBS antenna QC

Reaction score
Dear Sirs

Some time ago I purchased a DBS Antenna for my P3 Standard as I read very promising results.

While testing the range, which actually shows a great increase over the stock antennas I did noticed that at distances from 1-1,5 miles it is getting difficult to get strong signals. Whether the Wifi downlink was good, or the RC, but one of both got always weaker.

Then I concluded I have to take a look inside what makes it tikcing. Well the source for the problem became pretty obvious. It seemed like poor QC and a little bit disappointing flimsy assembly. Basically the antenna element is being hold in place by the RPSMA connector itself and some tape. The plane of the antenna and the groundplate are not evenly parallel but twisted in various directions, furthermore the RC and Wifi elements axis are not parallel at all.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Putting stress on it shifts the element, shifhting its plane away from the groundplane. Maybe I should not have taken a look inside in first place.:(

4.jpg

Even though the two axis are only 1-2 degrees off, at greater distances this for sure makes the sweetspots moving away from each other dramatically.

Is there a way to calculate the optimum distance between the groundplane and the antenna element, so one can correct for the misallignment?

This is very interesting. Maybe someone that has a DBS and is very happy with their results can either open theirs or maybe they have previously opened it. They may be able to share some measurements. I am on the border on ordering one myself. I am testing some omni's at the moment with not much success so I might have to resort to directional type :(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT