DaVinci Resolve 14 Issue With Video

Reaction score
I am 100% brand new to video editing and was going to give DaVinci Resolve 14 a try for color grading/correcting my P4P footage. I am pretty sure this is user error and need to know what setting I need to change or something is not compatible.

I can locate my video files inside DVR14, but they all say Media Offline with a red background, I cannot view the footage at all to even begin to mess with editing. I think it also mentioned a framerate or something was different then my settings (default project settings maybe?) and I accepted the chance to have them change. This didn't help with anything.

Maybe I cannot use DVR14 with the video settings i record at? It seems odd though since I'd assume they are pretty standard. If I need to try a different program I can do that or suggest other settings to record at if its a minor tweak.

Current P4P settings off the top of my head:
  • 4k @ 60fps (wanted best raw footage than can be downsampled if needed and take advantage of my 4k TV for playback)
  • MP4 format (I recall reading that MP4 is more for windows and MOV is more for Apple, I have Win7)
  • I forget the name of the mode/setting, but most footage is default, but I also tried a video in D-Log and D-Cinelike to see if I see any difference.
If I forgot any other important settings to help with troubleshooting let me know what you need!

Please assist me with getting my footage viewable in DVR14 so that I can then play around and start watching Youtube or something for tutorials.

Reactions: Niky and Hounddog
Go to the Media page and make sure the media clips are dragged into the Master Folder. Select all of your media clips. Right click and select Relink Selected Clips. Navigate to the folder where your original clips are and click ok. You should be good to go. If you still have issues, lmk and I will provide a link to a tutorial. (Goat's Eye View)

Reactions: Ripper7620
I can confirm 4k60 works fine in Resolve 14 using mp4 container on W10. Should work the same on W7. Make sure you have the latest version of resolve.

Also once you get the basics down in Resolve and are ready for some transitions and visual efx, check out my channel. Happy to help a fellow P4P pilot [emoji6]

DaVinci Resolve VFX / Transition Tutorials - YouTube

Go to the Media page and make sure the media clips are dragged into the Master Folder. Select all of your media clips. Right click and select Relink Selected Clips. Navigate to the folder where your original clips are and click ok. You should be good to go. If you still have issues, lmk and I will provide a link to a tutorial. (Goat's Eye View)
I haven't had a chance to give anything a try until now, but I can't seem to get anywhere. I added MP4s into the pool or I guess the master folder (The master screen takes up the bottom half of my window and they show up there). At first they were just gray, but then they eventually change to the media offline image. I've never been able to view the video inside Resolve, but I can see a photos that are in the same folder. Re-linking didn't seem to do anything. Right clicking and then saying "Open File Location" opens the correct folder. Attached are 2 screenshots, one of the initial error about frame rate (I'm pretty sure I have tried both ways and neither work) and the second shows the file erroring as media offline.
Error1.png Error2.png

Is the fact that I don't have a 4k monitor a problem? I wouldn't think so, but need to try and cover everything. As a matter of fact I will include PC details as well just to clear that up:
i7 3770K
16Gb DDR3 ram
GTX 1070
Resolve is installed on my main SSD and my drone videos are on a HDD
Main monitor is 2560x1440 resolution

If needed I can see if I have a small video file to send someone to be sure that the file works on your PC and it isn't a problem with the recordings.

Email me a small clip. Your PC has plenty of horsepower and frame rate should have no effect. I will send you a series of screen shots giving you step by step directions.

Email me a small clip. Your PC has plenty of horsepower and frame rate should have no effect. I will send you a series of screen shots giving you step by step directions.
I sent you a PM with a Google Drive link, hopefully that gets the job done.

FWIW, In DRBM 15 Bete 2(free version), it gives you the option to change frame rates to match when you first import a clip.

EhmayWuntee, just sent you a file.
Got it, thank you. I only glanced quickly while at work, but I can tell you spent some time on it to walk me through from top to bottom, I really appreciate the help!

My only question for now though is did the video just work perfectly fine for you right from the start? My trouble has been ever since adding it to the media pool. If the video worked right out the gate for you then I know on my end it is a setting, bad install of DR14, or perhaps I need some add-on or other extra download for MP4 or 4K to show up after a clean install?

Not trying to jump ahead before re-trying these steps, but I feel like I did do what I was supposed to and it isn't playing nicely. Maybe an uninstall and switching to DR15-Beta will work for me, but I'm not the biggest fan of beta releases. Or I need to make sure 14 and 15 aren't for Win10 only, I am on Win7.

Either way, thank you again BigL, I will report back after some trial and error.

Yea I think 14 and 15 are built for Windows 8.1 and up. Their website doesn't show much if anything about Windows, but some Google searches seems to make it seem like Win8.1 is the minimum.

Can anyone prove me wrong and confirm that DR14 or DR15b works fine on Windows 7 with DJI 4k MP4 format footage?

I'll see if I can find a reputable link for DR12 or 13 if they work in Win7.

I can send you 12.5, but it is too large for phantompilots. PM your email address and I will send it to you.

I found their support page has old downloads:
Support Center | Blackmagic Design

Under the "Latest Downloads" tab I kept scrolling and clicking "Read more" to find the minimum system requirements.
I had to go all the way back to 11.3.1 before it said Windows 7!
DR12.0 shows Windows 8.1 and I guess they skipped over 13.

I am in the process of downloading 11.3.1 right now.

*Edit: Apparently back then 11.3.1 was the paid version so I had to uninstall it and am trying 11.3.1 Lite now...*

Last edited:
Yea... unless someone has experience and a fix with DR12.5 or 14 working on Windows 7, I think I am SOL.

11.3.1 Lite doesn't even let me find my files! The folders to add media don't expand or show all of my drives so I can't get past just loading a project. I dont think it's worth investigating how to get it to work since the software is so old and might not even support modern 4k footage. I haven't tried 12.5 yet even though it says Win8.1 minimum, but that's about the only other thing to try before moving on to some other brand of software.

I realize Win7 is older and won't be supported by MS forever, but I didn't think OS's are that much different that it wont work with the coding of their latest software. Perhaps BlackMagic just doesn't want to support Win7 at all and coded it to not work.

Just installed 15 beta tonight, but having the same problem.. all my DJI P4P footage imports as "media offline". I have other footage generated by my 35mm cinema cameras that imports properly and plays normally. But the DJI footage is a non-starter. What a shame.. I was considering plunking down $299 for this application so that I could edit DCI 4K, but I guess I'll have to wait til version 16 to see if they fix this.

Just installed 15 beta tonight, but having the same problem.. all my DJI P4P footage imports as "media offline". I have other footage generated by my 35mm cinema cameras that imports properly and plays normally. But the DJI footage is a non-starter. What a shame.. I was considering plunking down $299 for this application so that I could edit DCI 4K, but I guess I'll have to wait til version 16 to see if they fix this.
I'm assuming you pretty much know what you're doing to a large extent, but I just have to ask if you're attempting to import from the SD card in a card reader, or are you using a different method? I import strictly from the SD in an out board, hot swapable card reader, and I haven't had this issue, so long as the SD card is not corrupted. I did have a one time issue last night where my media wasn't being recognized, but that issue resolved itself with a reboot and new SD card. Also, with Davinci, my exported finished files are over 20Gb for 15min of 3840X2160, much higher, and better quality than Premiere Pro, even though PP is 4096X2160 4K capable. I can only assume that DR exports at a much higher bit depth by default, than PP, given that the max resolution for DR is 3840X2160.

Last edited:
I use a SD card reader with an adapter to take the micro SD card and copy the files directly to the SSD edit drive.

Missing in Resolve is HEVC encoding. I'm using NVENC to encode 4K HEVC in realtime in Premiere CS6.

I use a SD card reader with an adapter to take the micro SD card and copy the files directly to the SSD edit drive.

Missing in Resolve is HEVC encoding. I'm using NVENC to encode 4K HEVC in realtime in Premiere CS6.
I looked up CS6, because I didn't know what it was, and the answer I got was that it's the older version of Creative Cloud Suite, which is what I have. Are you using an older version of CS6, or are you simply referring to the Creative Cloud Suite as CS6? I dump all my SD cards into an external SSD as well, after I do initial processing, and I've had some issues with DR reading from the SSD as well, but most of the time it works. I'm still new to post production and I don't know what the HEVC and NVENC is. I wish I could be of more help to your situation, because when DR works, IMO, it's a very fast workflow, especially the rendering part, and I hate to see people miss out on it's benefits. I like the free version of DR so much, that I'm willing to pay the $300 fee to get the full version. My issue with the Creative Cloud Suite is that the main thing I'm missing is a fast internet connection, because of my rural location, otherwise I would be taking advantage of it. With DR I can export directly to an external SSD, without having to rely on a fast internet connection, so most of what I do is done in DR. Also, at least on my machine DR and Premiere Pro don't like to be open at the same time for whatever reason. ATM, because I'm paying for iy, I'm forcing myself to learn how to work within Creative Cloud Suite, and so far, it's showing more potential than I first noticed. I'm creating clips in After Effects, and then exporting those high quality clips into Premiere Pro. I can load up the Quere, and let it do it's thing over night.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers